Can hair loose it's strength over a long period of time?

Junonia

Ever since I cut my hair, I have way less breakage and shedding. I don't worry about globs of hair on the floor and in the sink anymore. I notice more shedding, breakage and wispier ends when I was close to BSL.

Do you think hair can get to a point where it looses it strength and the only solution is to cut? Do you think it has to do with genetics or combination of things?

Ever since I cut my hair, I have way less breakage and shedding. I don't worry about globs of hair on the floor and in the sink anymore. I notice more shedding, breakage and wispier ends when I was close to BSL.

Do you think hair can get to a point where it looses it strength and the only solution is to cut? Do you think it has to do with genetics or combination of things?

Yes, I think so. Usually the hair that is breaking is older and as a result weaker. When you cut, you're cutting the hair thats been on your head the longest and the closer you go to the root the hair is younger and has been subject to less manipulation, styling and damage. Now that you've cut the wispy hair off, it'll grow back stronger as long as you keep taking care of it.

Yes, I think so. Usually the hair that is breaking is older and as a result weaker. When you cut, you're cutting the hair thats been on your head the longest and the closer you go to the root the hair is younger and has been subject to less manipulation, styling and damage. Now that you've cut the wispy hair off, it'll grow back stronger as long as you keep taking care of it.

This is what I notice about my hair. No matter much I take care of my hair, I will eventually have to cut the older hair. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people that can have long, full hair w/o a trim or a cut:ohwell:.

This is what I notice about my hair. No matter much I take care of my hair, I will eventually have to cut the older hair. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people that can have long, full hair w/o a trim or a cut:ohwell:.

Maybe you can step up protecting your ends? I know some ladies apply things to them daily. I never have but I'm sure there's a reason why.

My hair grows like a weed to arm pit length. Up to that point, it can take all types of manipulation and abuse, but it 'appears' to not get any longer. Once I started low manipulation due to not having time (work, baby, and husband), in a few months, my hair is now an inch past bra strap!

I think that my hair is very strong up to arm pit and then at that point, it becomes weak at the ends and breaks easily so that it appears not to grow.

Maybe you can step up protecting your ends? I know some ladies apply things to them daily. I never have but I'm sure there's a reason why.

I've been trying that now. I put coconut oil on my ends every night. Hopefully I will see some results by next relaxer.

My hair grows like a weed to arm pit length. Up to that point, it can take all types of manipulation and abuse, but it 'appears' to not get any longer. Once I started low manipulation due to not having time (work, baby, and husband), in a few months, my hair is now an inch past bra strap!

I think that my hair is very strong up to arm pit and then at that point, it becomes weak at the ends and breaks easily so that it appears not to grow.

I've been doing that since September and I am very happy with the results. The only thing I am doing differently is adding coconul oil to my ends.

Another tip - make sure you are protecting your previously processed hair when you relax. Relaxer run-off can gradually thin & weaken the hair.

It is basically what another poster said ... older hair. They have products to "renew" aging hair. Redken used to have a product called long & strong ... not sure if they make it anymore though. However, Kerastase has a product call Age Recharge (shampoo and masque) and it is suppose to revitalize older hair. I should be receiving it shortly and will post a video of my results on my youtube page.

I also agree with the other ladies about being more strict about protective styling, taking care of your ends (including protecting them during a relaxer).

It is basically what another poster said ... older hair. They have products to "renew" aging hair. Redken used to have a product called long & strong ... not sure if they make it anymore though. However, Kerastase has a product call Age Recharge (shampoo and masque) and it is suppose to revitalize older hair. I should be receiving it shortly and will post a video of my results on my youtube page.

I also agree with the other ladies about being more strict about protective styling, taking care of your ends (including protecting them during a relaxer).

I may have to try this. I think this is what my hair needs.

I think so, because it's older and more fragile. When my hair was fully relaxed, it would begin to break after it reached a particualr length, usually SL. (Of course, this was pre-LHCF, when I was ignorant about moisturizing and protecting my ends, so I may not have that problem now.) Now that I'm texlaxed and babying my ends, my hair is stronger and has exceeded lengths where it would have broken off in the past .

I think so, because it's older and more fragile. When my hair was fully relaxed, it would begin to break after it reached a particualr length, usually SL. (Of course, this was pre-LHCF, when I was ignorant about moisturizing and protecting my ends, so I may not have that problem now.) Now that I'm texlaxed and babying my ends, my hair is stronger and has exceeded lengths where it would have broken off in the past .

Your spiral set is pretty!

I've decided to baby my ends but I will also trim when necessary. A previous poster suggested Keratese and I am will try that also.

Another tip - make sure you are protecting your previously processed hair when you relax. Relaxer run-off can gradually thin & weaken the hair.

Yes I agree, this is a must. It's surprising to know that a lot of stylists don't do this when they do touch ups. And then wonder why a lot of us can't grow hair. :ohwell:

Back