Can conditioners clean your scalp and hair?

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
All these threads on low or no poo made me think? Can conditioner clean the scalp and hair? Are there any of you who only use conditioner and not shampoo and if you do, do you use ACV or something else to cleanse the scalp?

TIA

When I do co washes, I like to at least wash 1x a week or use a baking soda rinse to clean my scalp. I don't think conditioners are formulated to do so, but I could be wrong :rolleyes:

I've done nothing but cowashes for well over a year now. I believe that conditioners are just as good as shampoos when it comes to cleaning your hair/scalp - they just take longer to work, because they are so gentle. In order for my scalp to feel really 'clean', I had to leave the con on for at least 30-45 minutes, and give my scalp a GOOD scritching as I'm rinsing it out. I would clarify once a month with baking soda, just to insure that I was knocking any/all buildup out.

Mind, I don't use any cones, I don't use any petro products, and most of the stuff I use is waterbased/water soluble, so I didn't NEED a really 'intense' cleaning of my scalp.

I've added in herb washes recently, because I'm stretching the time between my cowashes to two weeks instead of one, and I'm REALLY enjoying those. I have to admit, they leave my scalp feeling much 'cleaner' than the cowashes did, but without the stripped/tight feeling that shampoo gives me.

They don't work for me but I know Chichelle? (sorry I keep spelling you name wrong) only uses conditioners.

I've done nothing but cowashes for well over a year now. I believe that conditioners are just as good as shampoos when it comes to cleaning your hair/scalp - they just take longer to work, because they are so gentle. In order for my scalp to feel really 'clean', I had to leave the con on for at least 30-45 minutes, and give my scalp a GOOD scritching as I'm rinsing it out. I would clarify once a month with baking soda, just to insure that I was knocking any/all buildup out.

Mind, I don't use any cones, I don't use any petro products, and most of the stuff I use is waterbased/water soluble, so I didn't NEED a really 'intense' cleaning of my scalp.

I've added in herb washes recently, because I'm stretching the time between my cowashes to two weeks instead of one, and I'm REALLY enjoying those. I have to admit, they leave my scalp feeling much 'cleaner' than the cowashes did, but without the stripped/tight feeling that shampoo gives me.

How do you do an herb wash? I would love to try these on my daughter's hair :yep: I wish that I could give up the shampoo but I use too many styling products and I need the poo to clarify the cones. I don't like the stripped feeling that I get from shampooing. :nono:

How do you do an herb wash? I would love to try these on my daughter's hair :yep: I wish that I could give up the shampoo but I use too many styling products and I need the poo to clarify the cones. I don't like the stripped feeling that I get from shampooing. :nono:

Have you tried diluting your poo?

If you never want to do poo again, here are my suggestion. These are gentle enough for everyday use. However, i suggest you clarify once every two to three weeks.

DevaCurl_No-Poo.jpg
16919234.jpg

hamadi_honey_wash_sm.jpg

I'm using the Ayurvedic herbs (shikakai plus amla), plus this Chinese herb that I got from a sista on here (only thing I know it's good for is darkening and strengthening), let steep into a strong dark tea, strain with a pantyhose (it works wonderfully!) and then pour over my hair, and let stand for a while - without touching it! - then I rinse it out. Leaves my hair feeling soft & shiny....

I'm using the Ayurvedic herbs (shikakai plus amla), plus this Chinese herb that I got from a sista on here (only thing I know it's good for is darkening and strengthening), let steep into a strong dark tea, strain with a pantyhose (it works wonderfully!) and then pour over my hair, and let stand for a while - without touching it! - then I rinse it out. Leaves my hair feeling soft & shiny....

Thanks for the info....I keep reading posts about cleansing with the shikakai ..I really need to try that

Back