CALLING LONG TIME Caruso users

pink_flower

Alrighty - my steamer thing isnt working anymore. I got it 2 yrs ago. Is it just time for a new one? How often do you replace your set?

I thought maybe it was dirty and cleaned it how the booklet suggests but that was weeks ago. It worked okay for a minute now I dont get any steam..

Thanks for any responses!
cool.gif

My steamer still works, but my curlers are worn down to the nub.
ohwell.gif
I also misplaced the bowl after mixing one of my concoctions up in it.

I would ask if you had any hard water or mineral build-up, but you said you cleaned it already. Outside of that I'm not sure. If you don't have your box any longer, maybe you can get the number off a box the next time you go to the BSS. Then you can call the manufacturer and see what they have to say before buying a new one.

Good question! What did the instructions suggest on cleaning it? Could you try diluted white vinegar in water???? I have two steamers one that required the salt and one that doesn't. I get more steam with the one that requires salt then the other.

Hmm the booklet said to put a few drops of vinegar in there and let it steam for one cycle.

Where do you get the salt one?

The same thing has happened to my steamer. I have the one that doesn't use salt. The first one I had used salt but that was when they first came out, well over ten years ago, I think.

I called the number on the box or pamphlet and the woman told me they don't make the product under the Caruso name anymore, I think she said they are made by Vidal Sassoon now. She said I could return the steamer to them and they would replace it with a new one that would be compatible with the rollers. I think she said to send $6 along with it. I haven't sent it in though. I think I will just buy a new set somewhere.

Ladies using the Caurso rollers,

I am assuming that if you have been using it for such a long time, you like the results. Can anyone elaborate on your experience with using these rollers? I am contemplating purchasing them. I heard the ones requiring you to add salt steam better but is it okay to be using salt in your hair? I thought this is the reason it is suggested that you rinse or CW after working out (due to the salt from sweating). Please respond . . .

The caruso system I had didnt require salt. I dont think they make those anymore. Im sure you could find them in a discount store or something (big lots?).

I love my steam rollers! Its great way to get curls, loose or tight without the damage. It also makes airdrying easier b/c I can just bump my ends after its dry!

Since my steamer is still broke I plan to purchase the Vidal Sasson brand. LEOLADYSW recommended them.

But they are a great investment , I think.

I think the sallys here has these under the caruso name...I was planning on getting one a month or so ago but didnt make the purchase.

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
Ladies using the Caurso rollers,

I am assuming that if you have been using it for such a long time, you like the results. Can anyone elaborate on your experience with using these rollers? I am contemplating purchasing them. I heard the ones requiring you to add salt steam better but is it okay to be using salt in your hair? I thought this is the reason it is suggested that you rinse or CW after working out (due to the salt from sweating). Please respond . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not using salt in your hair, you are putting salt in the steaming water to make it hotter because that is what the old systems require. There is no salt in the steam or the steamed rollers.

The new models do not use salt.

Caruso and Vidal Sassoon are made by the same company -- Helen of Troy, and the rollers are interchangeable. You can use the Caruso rollers on the Vidal Sassoon and vice versa.

You took the words out of my mouth Leolady regarding the salt. A few grains just makes more steam, none of it goes into the hair. So I guess I have the old model although I found one brand new last summer for only $7 at a garage sale (everything still sealed in plastic). I broke my plastic bowl and I'm temporarily using another bowl (which works). As I mentioned before, I may invest in the Vidal Sasson one.
smile.gif

I was wonder if any of you ladies in a hot, humid climate have success with Caruso rollers?

I used to use them back at home(TN) but since moving to FL I got rid of them bc I didnt think they worked well with the humidity. There is so much moisture in the air that the steam just makes my hair frizz even more, ya know? for some reason Ive had an itch to try them again, but dont want to waste my $$$

Leslie, I stopped using my Caruso curlers in humid weather because of the problem you described, so I can see how they might not work well for you in Florida. However, if you buy them from a store with a good return policy and don't like the results, you won't be wasting your money because you can get a refund.
smile.gif

true, Ill probably pass bc Ill probably lose the receipt like I always do, lol...thanks for comfirming my thoughts though!:)

You know, my results with steam rollers has been different than yours, Leslie and Renee. I noticed they tended to straighten the hair after I took down the rollers.

I just left them in long enough for them to be completely dry before removing them. I also made sure that I did not over fill the container, so the rollers were just steamed, not wet before rolling my hair. And I did not use any setting lotion or leave in that was not already dry in my hair.

Back