Calling all stylists!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I would like some advice. i have wanted to do hair for quite a while. i was planning to do it while in highschool but i was STRONGLY advised not to by my guidance counselor because i was going to college. i love what i am doing in college but in the back of my mind i yearn to do hair. i dont want to quit college but i still want to do hair! is there anyway i can do this? i was thinking of taking the course at my local continuing education program but the semester starts in September:sad:

i was also looking into getting a natural hair styling license. i could get it over the summer but that would severely limit my clientèle and job offers. is it possible to get the natural hair styling license and then get an apprenticeship at a salon for a cosmetology license? i dont know where i could find that info and i have been searching for a while.

it depends on the state you live in but some dont require a license to do natural hair. a good place to start is your state's board of cosmetology. do a google search for (whatever state) board of cosmetology. they will show what is required and some have a list of cosmetology schools. contact the ones closest to you and see how flexible they are with scheduling. they will also list the requirements for an apprenticeship. you can also try craiglist or something like that and see which salons are hiring. contact them to see if they are willing to do an apprenticeship.

I would like some advice. i have wanted to do hair for quite a while. i was planning to do it while in highschool but i was STRONGLY advised not to by my guidance counselor because i was going to college. i love what i am doing in college but in the back of my mind i yearn to do hair. i dont want to quit college but i still want to do hair! is there anyway i can do this? i was thinking of taking the course at my local continuing education program but the semester starts in September:sad:

You can always go PT. But it's definitely a commitment and very time consuming. B school didn't kick my butt half as much as now.
The education is based on hours that allow you the option to take the licensing exam.

i was also looking into getting a natural hair styling license. i could get it over the summer but that would severely limit my clientèle and job offers. is it possible to get the natural hair styling license and then get an apprenticeship at a salon for a cosmetology license? i dont know where i could find that info and i have been searching for a while.

I believe Nina (?) practices in a salon in NYC for natural hair. So she would know more about the difference between the two licenses. However, I would suggest NOT to limit your options. It would seem to me that learning natural hair would be IN ADDITION to the basics.
I would get a general cosmo license FIRST and then continue school with the natural hair. Again, look into the requirements but the way I suggested makes more sense to me (of course that's why I say it lol.)

it depends on the state you live in but some dont require a license to do natural hair. a good place to start is your state's board of cosmetology. do a google search for (whatever state) board of cosmetology. they will show what is required and some have a list of cosmetology schools. contact the ones closest to you and see how flexible they are with scheduling. they will also list the requirements for an apprenticeship. you can also try craiglist or something like that and see which salons are hiring. contact them to see if they are willing to do an apprenticeship.

In my state, you cannot work in any salon without a license. Cosmo license gives you 'license to touch.' A salon can incur big fines for allowing a student or a non-licensed stylist to work in the salon.

Goog luck!

And follow your heart....one life to live.

Napp don't limit yourself, go to cosmetology school and get your license. Yes you want to do natural hair, but may decided later on that you want to branch out into other services as well. I've been a cosmetologist for 18 years, but when I was in high school I wanted to also be a nurse. So, In 2007, I went to college to pursue nursing, so I have that degree under my belt to. However, doing hair is my passion, so that's what I'm doing fulltime and I love it. I'm glad I followed my gut and went to beauty school after high school instead of college because if I would have went for nursing back then, I may not have went to beauty school. When I decided to go to college in 2007, it was more so, to prove to myself that I can go and finish.

If you want to do hair go to cos school. I made the most money working in a salon, paying booth rent and doing hair ONLY on thurs fri and sats. I have a degree as well but I keep my license up so that I can always go back into a salon if need be. And yes you can do an apprenticeship, u just have to find someone whose willing to allow you to study under them.

thank you everybody. i guess i will just focus on finishing my college education and then pursuing cosmetology. im so upset i wasnt more persistent when i had to make the choice because i really would prefer doing hair right now than taking physics and organic chem:ohwell:

Back