Calling all Self-Relaxers - Need Help!

Robin41

Ok, most of you know I'm a die-hard JC Penny salon fan and I love my stylist to death but I can't do the $100 t/u this time. SOOOO, I'm pocketing the $100 and self-relaxing for the first time in years and I need some tips. I'm a little nervous but I've gotta try this sooner or later.

Best brand of relaxer? My hair is colored with Textures & Tones so I need something mild or formulated for colored hair.

Best technique?

Best way to keep from overlapping? This is my biggest fear cause overlapping is what caused my breakage in the first place and now that my hair is pretty healthy and growing out, I don't want to do any more damage.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
drunk.gif

Alright, ladies. Have it your way. By next week I'll be as bald as a plucked chicken but it's cool.

Girl I feel your pain...my stylist wanted $100 for a touch and roller wrap..So I relaxed my hair for the first time in years this weekend with Phytospecific Index #2 relaxer. The results are very good..except it burned my neck and I am pissed about that...the hair came out nice, no over processing no breakage...and I can't do a relaxer worth a lick..I deep conditioned earlier in the week but good luck. I did my own roller wrap too..

I agree with Lengthwanted. I would stick with the relaxer your stylist uses.

I would also say, practice a few times first with a creamie conditioner just to get the timing down.

Triple base the scalp, neck forhead and ears to prevent burns (I mean really slather it on.)

Protect the already-relaxed hair with base or olive oil or conditioner.

Set aside a small amount of relaxer creme that you can mix with a little olive oil and use that on your edges (in other words, use dilluted relaxer creme around the edges--if your edges come out underprocessed, then you know to use less oil or no oil next time. I personnaly am trying to avoid my edges getting bald or thinned out, so this is what I do.)

Have a timer handy and a few mirrors.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Robin41 said:
Alright, ladies. Have it your way. By next week I'll be as bald as a plucked chicken but it's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Robin41 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Make sure you do a strand test on various sections of your hair in order to determine the proper time to leave it on to get the look you desire.

Thanks for your help ladies. My stylist uses Mizani which I love but can't get at my BSS. I've had good results in the past with Revlon Realistic. I haven't seen the mild formula in a long time but I'll look for it.

I think I'll ask my husband to help me with the back. That's the only part I'm really afraid of overlapping cause I can't see it.

Thanks for the link Sweetpea. It was very helpful.

Perfectpeace, thanks for your tips and crossed fingers too. I'm feeling much more confident now!

Back