Calling ALL Cornrow Wearers!!

brownsugarflyygirl

I see alot of people who talk about having individual braids as a part of the C&G method....but I want to know

Who wears CORNROWS as a protective style/growth strategy? If so, have you had success with it? What do you moisturize with? How long do you keep them in? What are the benefits/drawbacks? All other related info welcome....

I dont really like individual braids, afraid of micros, but CORNROWS neat but not tight make me happy:D....what about you?

who wears CORNROWS as a protective style/growth strategy? i do well im transitioning, when when i was trying to reach brastrap..i used cornrows and it worked really well for growing my hair out.
If so, have you had success with it?yes i did. i gained anywhere from 1 to 2 inches.
What do you moisturize with?before i found mtg i would use wild growth oil and this indian oil and it kept my hair pretty moisturized and strong.
How long do you keep them in? i usually keep them in for 2-4 weeks but it depends on how i can maintain them.
What are the benefits/drawbacks? i think the benefits are u wake up and they are there and ur scalps gets air and breaths ...which if hard for ur hair to do if its bunned up all day..but the disadvantaged would be if it gets fuzzy or u want to change the style there is not much u can do to jazz it up..but u can always wear cute barrettes and beads to the style..in still in mine now going on week 2 and if u get a doorag and a good brush and sum foam used for sets to lay it down..it will last long...good luck with ur cornrows ..their are plenty of sites with good designs the possiblilites are endless..happy healthy growing

hopefully that helped...also make sure they are not too tight ...because u dont want any breakage...

Yep that does help...I am getting cornrows tonight! :D I might mix up a homemade recipe I found for MTG to use with them...Thanks for the info...its good to see that someone had success...

Bumping for more responses...

I currently wear my hair cornrowed however I wear them for 1 week and then remove them, so that I can wash my hair weekly, I have worn them in the past for as long as 12 weeks with a sew in, however the lint that collects in them is a drawback for me, they diffently are a plus for hair growth, I mositurize with NTM, followed by Africas Best oil, paying attention to the ends where the cornrow tail ends,

Can u be so kind to post your cornrow techniques? I'm still working on learning how to do them.

I love cornrows! Like luv04 said, they are great for growth and they can last for a whole month if you keep them up. Ive been wearing my braids (the one in my advatar) for 2 weeks and there is virtually no fuzzing. I still wash them though. I use the stocking cap method to keep the frizz at bay.

Last edited:
Cornrow wearer here! :wave: I wear mine for 2 weeks at a time with the ends pulled back into a little bun. I use all my own hair.

The benefits are my hair is always ready to go. I can wake up and walk out the door!:lol: This is an excellent style if you work out frequently because other than the fuzzies, it will always look the same. It's also a great style if you're a wig wearer. Helps the wig lay nice and flat against your head.
And of course the best benefit is that my hair is protected at all times.

The only drawback I can think of is one of the things I named as a benefit. And that is that it always looks the same!:lol: Yes, it does get boring having the same style every day, not having people know how long my hair really is, and not being able to change it at all without taking the cornrows completely out.

But between my workout schedule and the humidity(I'm on the East Coast) any sort of loose style is just not going to hold past a day or two. Even braidouts start to straighten on me after 5 or 6 hours. So, cornrows is it for me until summer ends.:)

Last edited:
I don't know how to braid but plan on practicing on myself for the weekends. I always have a problem keeping my hands out of my hair on the weekends (cuz i'm home all day) and was planning on cornrowing Friday night after I wash and airdry and then leaving it in and wearing a braidout to church on Sundays. Do you think this is a good protective style/low manip style for the weekend? I can't wear them to work and am pretty sure they won't look right until I get it perfect so I am gonna do the weekend thing for the summer. I've only had cornows 2x in my life and those were days when I went to the beach and didn't want to wear my hair down.

Thanks ladies for your feedback on cornrows....Im sorry I cant share techniques because I dont know how to cornrow...never mastered that art :(

@MissFallon - I personally dont think that braidouts are a good protective style...your hair is out and its hard to moisturize because you dont want to oversaturate your hair and lose your waves - it is a good low manipulation style though - because there isnt much to do - I wear them whenever I go home or my mom visits because she braids loosely and that results in some pretty braidouts :D

They usually last from two to four weeks.
Upsides-- They are a great protective hairstyle, can be redone more easily than braids (allowing you to tend to your hair more), and because you're not trying to wear them for months at a time, you can braid somewhat looser than if you were doing braids.
Downsaid--You have to take extra precautions to avoid the frizz, you can't access as much of your scalp (all over instead of rows) than if you had braids, and semi lack of hairstyling options.
I love mine...I cowash five days a week and deep condition/shampoo on the sixth day. I used the C&G technique and use a sponge to pat my hair after I've poured dilluted shampoo/conditioner over my head. I then spray with a leave in conditioner and after that dries a bit with an oil, then I wrap in a silk scarf. (I have very few fly aways.) HTH.-C

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies for your feedback on cornrows....Im sorry I cant share techniques because I dont know how to cornrow...never mastered that art :(

@MissFallon - I personally dont think that braidouts are a good protective style...your hair is out and its hard to moisturize because you dont want to oversaturate your hair and lose your waves - it is a good low manipulation style though - because there isnt much to do - I wear them whenever I go home or my mom visits because she braids loosely and that results in some pretty braidouts :D

I only plan on wearing the braidout for about 3 hours once a week when I go to church. I was gonna wear the braids on the weekends fri pm/sat/sun am so I don't comb my hair as much and play in it. I don't really leave the house on the weekends except for sundays (from 10:30-1:30). As soon as i get home on sundays I plan on co-washing and airdrying as usual.

Back