Calling all braiders: where can I find vids of the "diamond pattern" for parting

ajargon02

Hi all,
I am doing my hair today, and I wanted to use the "diamond parting" method. I have attempted this on MANY, MANY occasions, however I always seem to mess it up. If you have a link to a vid of yours or someone you found on youtube, will you post it here? Thanks for all your help! :yep:

I don't know about videos. I just picture it in my head and do it.

I'll be back with a diagram that might help.

OK here goes:

DiamondParting-vi.jpg

1) First part your head diagonally: from the right temple to the left nape corner and from the left temple to the right nape corner. (Red lines)

2) Plait 3 of the sections you get with this parting leaving just the back part out. (Grey represents braided sections)

3) Make a part parallel to the main red one (shown in yellow) and plait or clip the rest of the hair out of the way. (I usually plait because this not only keeps the hair out of the way but also keeps it from curling back on itself and becoming hard to part).

4) Now starting with the lowest end part out a small section by going perpendicular from main red part to new yellow part (shown by the lowest blue line--the one to the right) and clip the rest of the hair out of the way while you braid that small section. Then part another line parallel to the one you just did (second blue line) and clip the top hair away and plait that small section. And so on till that narrow section you parted out in yellow is all braided.

5) Part another narrow section parallel to the yellow line from #3 (second yellow line) and then repeat #4. I added the color so you could see the diamonds forming with this way of parting.

PartingtheotherQuadrants-vi.jpg

6) Once you finish that back quadrant, then you undo the plait on one of the side ones and again start by parting a narrow section parallel to the main diagonal parting (red) you started with (green line).

7) Once again you braid the bigger section of that quadrant to keep it out of the way and then you start parting a smaller section by parting perpendicularly from the green line to the original red line. Clip the rest of the narrow section out of the way and braid the lowest and first section. Repeat till the whole narrow section is done. Then part another section by parting parallel to the green line.

8) Repeat the perpendicular parting to create smaller sections clipping most of the narrow section out of the way. Remember to keep the rest of the quadrant braided so it stays stretched and is easy to part when you get to it.

9) Once the second quadrant is complete, start parting the third quadrant, again using the original red vertical part as your guide and part parallel to it. Repeat #7 and #8 in that quadrant.

10) For the final section, you can start the first narrow part on either side, a or b, and then repeat the parallel narrow section first before the perpendicular smaller parts and so on.

You may find that the sections are not identical or even close in size but if you do small braids, no one will notice. I no longer use a comb when I braid; I just grab and braid and no one's ever been any the wiser.

Last edited:
Well alright Nonie! You are always soo helpful on various subjects.

OK here goes:

DiamondParting-vi.jpg

1) First part your head diagonally: from the right temple to the left nape corner and from the left temple to the right nape corner. (Red lines)

2) Plait 3 of the sections you get with this parting leaving just the back part out. (Grey represents braided sections)

3) Make a part parallel to the main red one (shown in yellow) and plait or clip the rest of the hair out of the way. (I usually plait because this not only keeps the hair out of the way but also keeps it from curling back on itself and becoming hard to part).

4) Now starting with the lowest end part out a small section by going perpendicular from main red part to new yellow part (shown by the lowest blue line--the one to the right) and clip the rest of the hair out of the way while you braid that small section. Then part another line parallel to the one you just did (second blue line) and clip the top hair away and plait that small section. And so on till that narrow section you parted out in yellow is all braided.

5) Part another narrow section parallel to the yellow line from #3 (second yellow line) and then repeat #4. I added the color so you could see the diamonds forming with this way of parting.

6) Once you finish that back quadrant, then you undo the plait on one of the side ones and again start by parting a narrow section parallel to the main diagonal parting (red) you started with (green line).

7) Once again you braid the bigger section of that quadrant to keep it out of the way and then you start parting a smaller section by parting perpendicularly from the green line to the original red line. Clip the rest of the narrow section out of the way and braid the lowest and first section. Repeat till the whole narrow section is done. Then part another section by parting parallel to the green line.

8) Repeat the perpendicular parting to create smaller sections clipping most of the narrow section out of the way. Remember to keep the rest of the quadrant braided so it stays stretched and is easy to part when you get to it.

9) Once the second quadrant is complete, start parting the third quadrant, again using the original red vertical part as your guide and part parallel to it. Repeat #7 and #8 in that quadrant.

10) For the final section, you can start the first narrow part on either side, a or b, and then repeat the parallel narrow section first before the perpendicular smaller parts and so on.

You may find that the sections are not identical or even close in size but if you do small braids, no one will notice. I no longer use a comb when I braid; I just grab and braid and no one's ever been any the wiser.

OK here goes:

DiamondParting-vi.jpg

@Nonie, you are always so helpful. I know this is an old post, but you should get a Creative Commons license for it.

Back