Calling all ayurveda users from the DC/MD/VA Area!!!

asjg14

Hey ladies, i hope your day is going well :grin:. I'm a relatively new member to the lhcf family, but I've been a lurker for years! After months of research i wanna jump on the Ayurveda bandwagon, but I'm having a slight dilemma. When i was doing research on the forum for ayurveda, i believe a few ladies recommend some indian grocers to go to in the DC/MD/VA, particularly the takoma park/langley park area. So i took the bus to university blvd and New Hampshire ave, walking around for HOURS in the hot sun :sad:, (almost got hit by a car smh) and couldn't find any stores. I walked to the halal market and asked if they had the most basic ayurvedic herbs and the lady look at me like I was crazy, THEN i went to Chadni Chowk near Rite Aid only to find that they are close down. :wallbash:

"sigh" - so for the ladies who practice ayurveda within the area, can you please tell me of some indian grocery stores that sell the herbs and in particular which ones do they sell. IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :yep:

You're lucky I'm the sharing type asjg14 :lol: .... I kid, I kid!

I get my Jamila henna and amla powder from an Indian grocery store in Langley Park. I don't remember the name of the store, but it is located on University Blvd, right off of New Hampshire Ave. It is right across the street from the shopping center with the McDonald's, and is right next to the new Walgreen's.

I've been using their henna for 6 months now, and it works just as good as the Jamila henna I ordered online when I first started henna'ing. And its only $3 a box :yep: They sell lots of other stuff too, but so far, I've bought their henna and amla powder.

I HATE ordering products online, so I was desperate to find a place in the area that sold henna. I was lucky to find this grocer, so I hope this info is helpful to you :)

You're lucky I'm the sharing type @asjg14 :lol: .... I kid, I kid!

I get my Jamila henna and amla powder from an Indian grocery store in Langley Park. I don't remember the name of the store, but it is located on University Blvd, right off of New Hampshire Ave. It is right across the street from the shopping center with the McDonald's, and is right next to the new Walgreen's.

I've been using their henna for 6 months now, and it works just as good as the Jamila henna I ordered online when I first started henna'ing. And its only $3 a box :yep: They sell lots of other stuff too, but so far, I've bought their henna and amla powder.

I HATE ordering products online, so I was desperate to find a place in the area that sold henna. I was lucky to find this grocer, so I hope this info is helpful to you :)

bride91501...lol, thank you for giving up the info :lol: i thought it was a lost cause. would the one you could be refer to be the halal market? because i went to that one and asked for the herbs and they looks at me like im a crazy woman. i walked up and down the intersection of university blvd and new hampshire ave and found nothing :nono:, could I be missing something?

I couldn't find any reliable place in the area. There are a couple of place near UMUC I think New Hampshire but I wasn't comfortable in the area. If you google indian store md, va or dc you may get some stores but most are not updated. Here is the link to where I went. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...37657655f6b1,Maryland&cid=1653363083123370672

I order online for ayurveda.

Thanks Ltown :yep:, I'll definately check it out, n yea ur right a lot of the info was outdated when i looked it up. btw, what online store do you order from?

Last edited:
bride91501...lol, thank you for giving up the info :lol: i thought it was a lost cause. would the one you could be refer to be the halal market? because i went to that one and asked for the herbs and they looks at me like im a crazy woman. i walked up and down the intersection of university blvd and new hampshire ave and found nothing :nono:, could I be missing something?

Yep, that's it. I knew it was something that began with an "h" lol. Not sure what specific herbs you're looking for, but they did give me the confused :rolleyes: when I first asked for the amla, but I think my slight DC accent may have thrown them off at first :lachen: you should definitely try again :grin:

Yep, that's it. I knew it was something that began with an "h" lol. Not sure what specific herbs you're looking for, but they did give me the confused :rolleyes: when I first asked for the amla, but I think my slight DC accent may have thrown them off at first :lachen: you should definitely try again :grin:

lol thanks bride91501, i'll give it another shot. do you only by the alma and henna from there or do they have more of a selection, cause when i looked they didn't have much at all :sad:

lol thanks bride91501, i'll give it another shot. do you only by the alma and henna from there or do they have more of a selection, cause when i looked they didn't have much at all :sad:, btw would you be familar with the "indian super market" on fenton street in silver spring?

I found an article today that may be helpful...

from http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/restaurants/19332.html

INDIAN: Ginger & Spice Market
6548-A Little River Tpk., Alexandria; 703-916-1818.
Indian expats troll these aisles for henna, Bollywood DVDs, and Indian-style bottled soda. But you’ll find culinary inspiration in the array of spices sold whole, ground, and in various blends. There’s also a wide assortment of beans, lentils, rices, and flours; a well-stocked frozen-food case; and shelves of unusual condiments, such as a southern-style mango pickle that cuts the lushness of curries the way gherkins temper the richness of corned beef.

I found an article today that may be helpful...

from http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/restaurants/19332.html

INDIAN: Ginger & Spice Market
6548-A Little River Tpk., Alexandria; 703-916-1818.
Indian expats troll these aisles for henna, Bollywood DVDs, and Indian-style bottled soda. But you’ll find culinary inspiration in the array of spices sold whole, ground, and in various blends. There’s also a wide assortment of beans, lentils, rices, and flours; a well-stocked frozen-food case; and shelves of unusual condiments, such as a southern-style mango pickle that cuts the lushness of curries the way gherkins temper the richness of corned beef.

thanks lstreeter! I'll check that out as well

lol thanks bride91501, i'll give it another shot. do you only by the alma and henna from there or do they have more of a selection, cause when i looked they didn't have much at all :sad:

I only get my henna and amla from there, but honestly I would just go in with a list and ask. He actually seemed to go into a sort of secret stash area for the amla powder lol, so who knows what they really have in there once you start to asking lol.

Back