Bunners do you gel?

yardyspice

I had some breakage from wearing wig caps so I am thinking about using buns as my protective style but of course I have those little hairs at the front that won't lay down without gel. Did you bunners especially wet bunners see any breakage from using gels? I obviously cannot afford anymore breakage or I will look like a monk from those kung fu movies.

LoL@ the monk commment. I use Elasta QP mango butter. I don't like gel because of the alcohol in it. EQP Lays my edges down like a champ! In fact, it works so well that I can stretch my relaxers and not have to worry about fuzzies at my hairline.

A lot of people use HairVeda almond glaze too.

My main move is to apply your leave-in around your hairline - then put on a satin scarf on for 10 mins whilst getting ready. It will lay the edges down and they'll stay in place. I sleep in my bun and use a satin scarf to set my hair overnight! HTHs! :)

Last edited:
I'll either use my Giovanni direct leave-in, Hairveda Whipped Gelly, or Ecostyler gel and then tie a scarf around my edges. This helps the hair to lay smoothly...no matter what you use, the scarf is the key.

I used Ecostyler gel and a scarf to smooth my edges. Nothing else would work on my edges. They were thin when I started bunning but the gel and the brushing did not hurt them at all, they have grown in very nicely. Now I'm natural and I have some THICK edges. I transitioned for 8.5 months with a bun and it took me 4 of those to find Ecostyler. You may want to use a conditioner or castor oil on your edges before applying the gel for some extra protection. Be gentle with the brushing too!

I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (Walmart about $3). It is 100% pure aloe vera. I got the tip from Traycee and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I will definitely try the bun/scarf trick but I am still concerned about my edges so nobody had any breakage?

I use:

Ecostyler or any black gel
Afroveda shea amla butter (or any of her butters)
Unrefined shea butter (I have to use it 30 min before heading out the door)

I'll either use my Giovanni direct leave-in, Hairveda Whipped Gelly, or Ecostyler gel and then tie a scarf around my edges. This helps the hair to lay smoothly...no matter what you use, the scarf is the key.

ITA! Sometimes I dont add anything extra after my leave in/sealing and just tie a scarf around my hair. My hair is always smooth and I never have any breakage from this method.

Nope, no breakage. Probably due to the fact that there is no alcohol (in aloe vera gel) so ur hair isn't drying out

I use pure aloe, I buy a long piece from the fruit and vegetable market for $1.50, cut and use the gel inside directly onto hair.
LOL, rufus12

I really don't like putting gel in my hair, so I try to avoid it. I prefer using the "scarf method" to get my hair to lay down flat.

My problem is that my hair line is too short to lay down properly as you an see from the pictures. See how Sweet_Ambrosia and purplepeace79 buns look neat, not mine. Does any have any suggestions? I am afraid of using any headbands, etc because again, I am trying not to look like a Shaolin monk:lachen:

Attachments

• Photo 24.jpg
    Photo 24.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo 25.jpg
    Photo 25.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
When I'm not so far into a stretch using shea butter/coconut or other oil and my scarf at night is fine. But with the wet weather and whatnot I gave up having smooth edges. I stopped fighting my hair about it. Usually my edges are smooth for about a half hour after I get up then floof.

Back