Bun/Updo Wearers

I am so tired of people putting their rough filthy hands in my hair! Plus the longer my hair gets the worse my own HIH disease gets too, so I decided that I will do a bun/updo challenge for a year. For those of you who do buns, updos, phony ponytails, ect, could you please reccomend the steps and products your using. If you have pics of styles, that would be helpful too. Thanks

I don't wear buns but I like Adrienne's method.
smile.gif
(Click on the thumbnails to read instructions)

Hey Ar010
wave.gif

I wear buns (not happily)for some of the same reasons you are describing. I ususally co wash my hair at night and make a loose ponytail. I coat the ends of the ponytail with castor oil or vaseline and make a very loose bun and cover it with a little plastic baggie and tie my hair with a silk scarf before I go to bed.

In the morning I take off the baggie and the elastic. I hold my hair like I'm going to make a ponytail but intead I twist it until its a bun and use Good Hir Day pins to hold the bun in place. I use my hands and a little Elasta QP to smooth my edges and I'm done.

If I get bored with this style I use a claw clip instead and make a updo tucking my ends in. This keeps my ends protected and it saves time in the morning.

No digital camera so sorry no pics but I hope this helps.

For the bun wearers who wash & moisturize the hair & then use the baggie method overnight or all day long. I'm guessing this keeps the hair "moist & damp" all day. Has anyone noticed the dampness thinning their hair? Years ago, before I new LHCF existed, I would wash & condition my hair and put it in a ponytail still wet and put on a phony pony. I noticed after doing this for over a year my hair was not breaking or shedding a lot, but it was getting thinner. I just automatically assumed it was becasue my hair was damp all the time. I didn't want long thin hair so I stopped doing this. Has anyone else noticed this?

i smooth my hair with pomade or clear gel into a ponytail. i separate my hair into two big sections and twist them separately. i then take one ponytail and wrap it clockwise and pin it and then i take the other ponytail and wrap it counterclockwise and pin in. my technique is very similar to how they do in the september essence except that i make 2 big twists instead of several small ones.

I lightly mist my hair with distilled water while putting more concentration on the ends. I also apply shea butter oil all over but I apply more to my ends. I secure my hair with a satin/sateen scrunchie, braid my hair into a pony tail and wrap it around my scrunchine. Finally I use hair pins to secure piece of track around my hair and make a bun with that. This keeps my hair tucked away and moist.

I wore a phony pony for a whole year and what I would do was each week wash, deep condition, moisturize, and put it up wet. If I had it to do again I would have let it dry first in a low pony so I wasnt putting too much stress on my wet hair by pulling it up high while wet.

I wore the drawstring kind. It really helped me grow out a very short cut(a cut so short I had to wait a couple of months to have enough hair to pull into a itty bitty paintbrush pony to attach hair). Thats the only change I would make if I was doing it now that I know better since wet hair is so fragile.

I may strart doing this from week 8-10 post relaxer to help me stretch it so I only handle it one time per week.

[ QUOTE ]
Cowgirl said:
For the bun wearers who wash & moisturize the hair & then use the baggie method overnight or all day long. I'm guessing this keeps the hair "moist & damp" all day. Has anyone noticed the dampness thinning their hair? Years ago, before I new LHCF existed, I would wash & condition my hair and put it in a ponytail still wet and put on a phony pony. I noticed after doing this for over a year my hair was not breaking or shedding a lot, but it was getting thinner. I just automatically assumed it was becasue my hair was damp all the time. I didn't want long thin hair so I stopped doing this. Has anyone else noticed this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump....

Back