Breakage???

princessdi

My hair has begun to break a lot since using BT, and I'm not sure why. I'm getting really great growth from it, but my ends seem to be really dry and brittle. Do you think it could be caused from the BT sealing my strands and keeping the moisture products out because I don't apply my moisturizer to my hair until after applying and massaging BT in my scalp. What's the proper way to apply BT?

Also, has anyone recovered from breakage without having to bc? I'm not sure how much breakage I've sustained because I'm 9 weeks post relaxer w/a lot of new growth, but know by the amount of hair that I lose each day when moisturizing that it's not good. My strands also appear to be very thin at the ends.

I am so frustrated. I can't afford to lose any hair. I want to retain the length, not lose it!!

Someone please help--share your advice!!:(

Thanks.

I haven't used BT yet. Just ordered it though. Hopefully we can get some advice on how to counter this.

princessdi said:
My hair has begun to break a lot since using BT, and I'm not sure why. I'm getting really great growth from it, but my ends seem to be really dry and brittle. Do you think it could be caused from the BT sealing my strands and keeping the moisture products out because I don't apply my moisturizer to my hair until after applying and massaging BT in my scalp. What's the proper way to apply BT?

I apply my BT/moisturizer the same way you do, and I haven't noticed any excess breakage from doing it this way. I don't think the oils in BT (coconut and olive oil) would seal moisture out of your strands, because they're fairly light oils and you generally aren't applying much product anyway. Perhaps the sulfur in the BT could be drying your hair out, though. Also, what moisturizer are you using? That could be the culprit too.

Another point, if you're 9 weeks post with ends that feel "thin", it might not be due entirely to breakage. Your ends will feel thin whenever you have a lot of new growth, because of the difference in hair textures.

preciousjewel76 said:
Another point, if you're 9 weeks post with ends that feel "thin", it might not be due entirely to breakage. Your ends will feel thin whenever you have a lot of new growth, because of the difference in hair textures.

Thanks for this bit of advice. I, too, have been experiencing breakage and anemic looking ends, but your post makes sense. I have a lot of shrinkage due to the NG and maybe the several textures are making it appear that my ends are thin. BT seems to be drying, so I stopped applying it daily. I now only apply it every other day or every 2 days.

honeybadgirl said:
i use BT but i put my moisturizer on 1st since BT has oils in it. make sure you clarify and dc also.

Will do! Clarifying has helped tremendously. The breakage has calmed down considerably. I like the idea of applying the moisturizer first, then BT. I'mma have to try that.;)

I agree. I have BT also and I always put my moisterizer on first. Since BT has liquid it is bound to run all through my hair (even though I'm aiming for the scalp) so I make sure I moisterize first. Whatever oil ends up on my hair just seals in the moisture.

honeybadgirl said:
i use BT but i put my moisturizer on 1st since BT has oils in it. make sure you clarify and dc also.

I also noticed when I was applying BT to my edges every day, that broken hair would come off on fingers. Now I moisturize my edges first, then apply the BT. Also, I don't apply BT every day, more like every other day.

hot_pepper96 said:
I also noticed when I was applying BT to my edges every day, that broken hair would come off on fingers. Now I moisturize my edges first, then apply the BT. Also, I don't apply BT every day, more like every other day.

I do mine every other day as well. Also, I actually do moisturize first before adding the BT, so I apologize for stating that wrong in my first post.

lizjoseph said:
I agree. I have BT also and I always put my moisterizer on first. Since BT has liquid it is bound to run all through my hair (even though I'm aiming for the scalp) so I make sure I moisterize first. Whatever oil ends up on my hair just seals in the moisture.

exactly!!!!! :grin:

Back