Breakage after roller set...

leana01

Firstly let me start by saying that this is my first post although I have been aggressively reading the forum for the past few months...

My Hair: I would describe my hair as being thick 4A type. I currently am relaxed with highlights. My hair appears to be healthy although this forum has led me to believe that it is not as healthy as I thought. It seems like some ladies experience little to no breakage.

My regimen: First I pre-pooed with Motions CPR (sat under hooded dryer for 15 minutes), next I washed with Motions Lavish Condition shampoo, then I deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing pack mixed with EVOO and coconut oil (sat under hooded dryer 15 minutes). Finally I rollerset my hair and sat under the dryer. I lost very little hair during this process and the only hair that was lost was shed hair, rather than breakage. :)

My problem: When I took out my rollers and combed (with a wide tooth comb) my hair down in order to wrap it I experienced a significant amount of breakage... This was definitely not shed hairs. It was short hairs without little white bulbs on the end. Also, I rolled my hair with red rollers that are at least 1". This usually happens every time I wash my hair which is bi-weekly. :(

My question: I was thinking that maybe it was time for me to try an intense protein treatment such as aphogee or maybe emergencee. I'm not sure though. :perplexed My hair doesn't appear to be dry so I assumed it must need protein.

Attachments

• My hair 05_03_07.jpg
    My hair 05_03_07.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the forum!:)

First, I see that you pre-pooed with a conditioner with protein, which was Motions CPR. You say that you deep-conditioned with another conditioner containing protein, which was the ORS pak. I would have deep-conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner such as KeraCare Humecto, or any other moisturizing conditioner, for at least 20-30 min.

Also, when I comb out my rollersets, I always get a little breakage, too, but not much. Honestly, IMO, some breakage is inevitable on relaxed hair. But to sum it all up, try using more moisturizing conditioners to see if it helps with the breakage.;)

Yes welcome as well. I just crawled out from lurking for a few months as well! I was wondering how long has it been since you had your last touch up? I agree- It sounds like you need more moisture. What's that awesome thread about the difference between moisture and protein??? Is that in the breakage thread?

leana01 said:
Firstly let me start by saying that this is my first post although I have been aggressively reading the forum for the past few months...

My Hair: I would describe my hair as being thick 4A type. I currently am relaxed with highlights. My hair appears to be healthy although this forum has led me to believe that it is not as healthy as I thought. It seems like some ladies experience little to no breakage.

My regimen: First I pre-pooed with Motions CPR (sat under hooded dryer for 15 minutes), next I washed with Motions Lavish Condition shampoo, then I deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing pack mixed with EVOO and coconut oil (sat under hooded dryer 15 minutes). Finally I rollerset my hair and sat under the dryer. I lost very little hair during this process and the only hair that was lost was shed hair, rather than breakage. :)

My problem: When I took out my rollers and combed (with a wide tooth comb) my hair down in order to wrap it I experienced a significant amount of breakage... This was definitely not shed hairs. It was short hairs without little white bulbs on the end. Also, I rolled my hair with red rollers that are at least 1". This usually happens every time I wash my hair which is bi-weekly. :(

My question: I was thinking that maybe it was time for me to try an intense protein treatment such as aphogee or maybe emergencee. I'm not sure though. :perplexed My hair doesn't appear to be dry so I assumed it must need protein.

Thanks for the welcome and responses! I had no idea the ORS was a protein conditioner but I thought that being that it was mixed with evoo and coconut oil it would be a significant amount of moisture to combat the protein in the CPR...

My concern with the breakage is that I am trying to grow out my bob which I have been having for the past 3 or 4 years and I don't know that it will ever grow out if I keep experiencing breakage after every wash... Currently I am 5 weeks post relaxer and I'm hoping to go at least another 3 weeks.

Also, besides the keracare humecto what are some other good moisturizing conditioners? Is the motions moisture plus recommended?

Last edited:
Welcome Leana01!! Let me ask, did you use a setting lotion to set with? I used to get little broken hairs when I did. Once I cut that out, I don't see the breakage after I comb out my sets.

I agree with the other posters that you may have done too much protein at once. Motions Moisture Plus is a dream :love: I bought it in the tub I love it so much. If you like the Lavish poo, you'll def love the con. Its thick, yummy and VERY moisturizing IMHO.

Cleve_gryl said:
Welcome Leana01!! Let me ask, did you use a setting lotion to set with? I used to get little broken hairs when I did. Once I cut that out, I don't see the breakage after I comb out my sets.

I agree with the other posters that you may have done too much protein at once. Motions Moisture Plus is a dream :love: I bought it in the tub I love it so much. If you like the Lavish poo, you'll def love the con. Its thick, yummy and VERY moisturizing IMHO.
Thanks... Next time I use the CPR I'll def follow up with the motions moisture plus to deep condition. As a matter of fact I already have this and i used it and it was good but since I found this forum it seems I have been almost collecting hair products... And yes, I do use setting lotion when I set my hair. I use lottabody... the purple kind in the clear bottle. I dilute it significantly to the point where its almost clear... maybe next time I'll just use plain water... i wonder if my set will last as long though because I do wrap every night.

Clevegryl, you are on point. Diluted or not, my hair HATES setting lotion with a passion. So now, Ill only use a leave-in and plain ole water to set. Curls are nice and soft, whereas the setting lotion leaves it hard and crunchy and more prone to breakage.

So yeah, Leana, eliminate the setting lotion next time and see what happens. Make sure you give us an update.:)

Also I remember reading on here somewhere that sometimes when we get a lot of NG it happens. The theory is that if you want really straight roots you may be rolling it too tight and then when it dries it snaps. I hope you understand what I am trying to say;)

JustMeSteph said:
Also I remember reading on here somewhere that sometimes when we get a lot of NG it happens. The theory is that if you want really straight roots you may be rolling it too tight and then when it dries it snaps. I hope you understand what I am trying to say;)

yes, this is also what i was going to say. i think i read that in macherieamour's blog... when your hair is wet, and especially when you have new growth, it has a lot more elasticity so if you rollerset it tight, it is stretching on the roller. and as it dries and loses it's elasticity...SNAP! So maybe try setting it looser and see if that makes a difference.

Back