Brazilian Blowout a safer alternative...here's an article

Dove56

Now that Nicole Richey has mentioned this treatment everyone will want it done!

http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs...t/2009/04/new-celeb-obsession-the-brazil.html

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/lifestyle-fashion/stylebeauty/Brazilian+Blowout-8104.html

I found this pdf when I did a search on Brazilian Blowout ingredients. Intelligent brush (Soft-liss) is listed on here along with some others. Hmm, me thinks I'm on to something..lol. I wonder if Soft-liss and the Brazilian Blowout are the same thing. :scratchch

http://www.brazilianblowout.com/pdf/BB_MSDS.pdf

I don't see the difference between this and a BKT, it is just a version without the formaldehyde and a different brand name. I think that the bad rep that BKT's have been getting (due to chemicals) has caused smart marketers and PR people to put some new creative spin on it to make it seem as if it is something new and unique to unsuspecting consumers. They probably have ether or a similar chemical.

The two articles are so similar, I would bet that they are based off of the same press release from the Brazilian Blowout manufacturer.

I don't see the difference between this and a BKT, it is just a version without the formaldehyde and a different brand name. I think that the bad rep that BKT's have been getting (due to chemicals) has caused smart marketers and PR people to put some new creative spin on it to make it seem as if it is something new and unique to unsuspecting consumers. They probably have ether or a similar chemical.

The two articles are so similar, I would bet that they are based off of the same press release from the Brazilian Blowout manufacturer.

I definitely think the name change to "Brazilian Blowout" is a marketing technique. It sounds exactly the same, and the Youtube demonstration video certaintly looks the same. Global Keratin contains ether and Coppola contain aldehyde.

The owner of that salon said that none of the chemicals were toxic or potentially carcinogenic. I know Nicole Richey is pregnant and I don't think she'd be foolish enough to risk the health of her unborn child for smooth hair.

I'm looking for the Brazilian Blowdry ingredients. Here are the Soft-liss ingredients:

Soft LIss Chocolate Intelligent Blowdry = Silicone polymer, Liquid Keratin, Softening agents, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamins, and Cocoa Extract.

No ether or aldehyde. I wonder which one of these ingredients holds the keratin in place. I think it's the silicone polymer or ethyl alcohol. I'll do more research. :yep:

vkb247 said:

Agreed on the PR and marketing hype. I actually think all of the hype telling people to beware the bkt is hype, also, perhaps from the relaxer industry. I think it's odd that it all sounds the same and none of it backed with studies. Also, none of it is all that objective.

A little "conspiracy theory"ish, but I wonder...

Here's another article about that. I think they're talking about the newer formulated BKT's that are coming out of Brazil after the gov crack down. These are basically approved for safety. There's links to them. I was also reading another site w/ two names zen escovaprogress and escova intelligente. Off to research those. Here's the article link
http://brazilianfabulous.blogspot.com/2009/02/escova-progressiva-whats-all-fuss.html

Last edited:
Agreed on the PR and marketing hype. I actually think all of the hype telling people to beware the bkt is hype, also, perhaps from the relaxer industry. I think it's odd that it all sounds the same and none of it backed with studies. Also, none of it is all that objective.

A little "conspiracy theory"ish, but I wonder...

Sheba1,

I bet you are right. :yep: Most relaxer brands are owned by large corp./companies that also own many of the same "mainstream" products. They have the financial means to ruin anything that could possibly undermine their success and profits. I don't think it's a stretch.

If you think about it Sheba1, BKT, Keratin Tx, Brazilian Blowout, whatever..lol, could revolutionize the straightening industry. I know I have NEVER been so amazed by a product like this in my life!:yep: It is absolutely a staple! It'll be interesting to see how popular this becomes and how many variations of the products surface in the next 2-5 years. :yep:

I definitely think the name change to "Brazilian Blowout" is a marketing technique. It sounds exactly the same, and the Youtube demonstration video certaintly looks the same. Global Keratin contains ether and Coppola contain aldehyde.

The owner of that salon said that none of the chemicals were toxic or potentially carcinogenic. I know Nicole Richey is pregnant and I don't think she'd be foolish enough to risk the health of her unborn child for smooth hair.

I'm looking for the Brazilian Blowdry ingredients. Here are the Soft-liss ingredients:

Soft LIss Chocolate Intelligent Blowdry = Silicone polymer, Liquid Keratin, Softening agents, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamins, and Cocoa Extract.

No ether or aldehyde. I wonder which one of these ingredients holds the keratin in place. I think it's the silicone polymer or ethyl alcohol. I'll do more research. :yep:

Its probably whatever the softening agents are

When I first heard about 5 years or so ago I only heard it called the Brazilian Blowout. Only for the last couple of years have I been hearing it called a brazilian keratin treatment.

Probably because "Keratin Treatment" sounds more palatable to the general consumer than "Blowout".

Back