• Wigs

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waffigrl

Hi LHCF!

Its winter, and I'm in Chicago, which means my hair is starting to cry out for help. I've been wearing a full wig I made recently, but the stress of having to take it off at night, wondering if I put it on right, wondering if it'll fly off in the Chicago wind :lachen: is starting to get to me

I'm considering getting braids, but I want to know:

Braids vs Wigs? Which one has been the best protective style for you?

I use both, its whatever is best for you. It not good to wear braids more that 2 months at a time so for long-term protective styling, I do 2 months braids, 1 month rest using wigs and repeat.

I say try braids since you are tired of the wig. Honestly its whatever works best for you. Some people wear braids and get breakage, I got great growth and my hairline improved. Its different for everyone.

Braids under a wig. Keep the braids moist underneath the wig by using something like S curl, a recent tip I just picked up. :yep:

Always wear a satin cap over your braids before placing your wig.

If you're wearing a full wig, sew in an elastic band if you're afraid of your wig flying off in the Chitown wind, lol.

Braids under a wig. Keep the braids moist underneath the wig by using something like S curl, a recent tip I just picked up. :yep:

Always wear a satin cap over your braids before placing your wig.

If you're wearing a full wig, sew in an elastic band if you're afraid of your wig flying off in the Chitown wind, lol.

This is the best advice I got on LHCF about wigs. Stocking caps are the devil to me now :lol: Wondered why I didn't get much retention when wearing wigs before, but now I know.

Vanthie,Spiffy
Thanks ladies!!
I've been wearing the wig cap, and my retention has been really uneven, so I'll start doing the satin scarf + wig cap + wig. Good thing its winter, I don't think I could take the heat in the summer

I do both.

Of course, I braid my own hair in plaits when wearing a wig.

Also, I use to get my hair braided regularly. Most of my styles were in cornrows. When I got tired of the braids and wanted to switch up my hairstyle, I would put a wig on top of the braids. The next day or two, I would wear my braids again.

By switching between the braids and wigs, I was able to try to save my hairline. Wigs will rub your hairline thin. My braids didn't affect my hairline at all, since the braid was always started with my own hair. I had my braider braid like this for a more natural look. I can't stand that little hump at the beginning of cornrows.

I've done both, but my best retention is with braids. My hairline suffered from wigs even when I wore my satin cap underneath. I've been wearing braids off and on since... the 90s!

I do flat twists in rows with one going across the front of my hairline to protect it, then I put on a mens spandex cap, then the wig.
And I'm keeping a close eye on my edges!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back