Braiding your own hair

momi

I am having the MOST trouble braiding my own hair. It's like I cannot get the hand position right.

I have no problem braiding for others though...

Anyone else have this issue???

Are you trying to cornrow? or just plait?

I can cornrow to the front and to the side but I have a hard time cornrowing straight back. Would be nice to get some tips.

Are you trying to cornrow? or just plait?

I can cornrow to the front and to the side but I have a hard time cornrowing straight back. Would be nice to get some tips.

Cornrow really...

I can do a halfway decent plait for a braidout but barely.

Yeah some tips would be nice :drunk:

It's so simple. I have no idea how I grasped it so easily without instruction as a child. Hmm let's see. Start with the same three basic strands as you would with a braid but pinch/pick up hair joining it with the outside strands only(not at the same time. Left then right or right then left. Whichever you decide; just make sure you're consistent). The middle strand will become an outside strand eventually so don't worry about that one. momi

^^It is like she said but I don't find it easy going back. When I cornrow to the front and to the sides I use my thumb to sweep under and pick up hair. When I am going back I can't do that. I have to use my thumb and forefinger.

My hair is short and natural so its hard to pick up hair. Practice, practice, practice.

Actually managed to do it last night. Was trying a two strand twist mo-hawk. I just parted, moisturized, and really took my time.

I have the same problem. I cannot get the hand motion right since it's basically in reverse. I can twist all day but braiding is not something I can do on my own hair.

I have the opposite problem. I can braid/cornrow all day, but struggle to flat twist. My hands keep going back to the braiding.

I practice a little a few days a week when my hair is loose. It was better yesterday than last time I did it. I would love to be able to cornrow my hair back for the summer.

I can twist and plait my hair, but braiding to the scalp is a work in progress for me. I'm practicing on the weekends and getting better though.

I used to have the same problem. I can braid my dd's hair perfectly though. So what I did was part in the mirror and clamp off the extra hair on the sides. Then I step away from the mirror, close my eyes and imagine I am braiding my dd's hair. Works perfectly every time. But when I'm in the mirror and try, I get confused. I know it's hard for some but I think to get it you have to move away from the mirror and let your hands do the work, not your eyes.

I used to have the same problem. I can braid my dd's hair perfectly though. So what I did was part in the mirror and clamp off the extra hair on the sides. Then I step away from the mirror, close my eyes and imagine I am braiding my dd's hair. Works perfectly every time. But when I'm in the mirror and try, I get confused. I know it's hard for some but I think to get it you have to move away from the mirror and let your hands do the work, not your eyes.

This is kind of what I did - closed my eyes.

The hand position is the most difficult part... feels awkward.

Back