Braid out Challenged( i need moisture!)

LeNghtyDreAms

Im tryna master the art of the Braidout, but no matter what my ends esp. in the back where my hair is mostly 4a is really dry.

Maybe one of you lovely ladies can tell me what Im doing wrong or what i can do to add more moisture.

I wash my hair with Pantene pro-v relaxed and natural shampoo 2x, then i condition it with NTM deep conditoner, combing the conditioner through with a wide tooth comb. Then i oil my scalp with WGO, and then separate into sections and put Pantene pro-v relaxed and natural leave in conditioner. Then i make about nine big braids.I put Elasta QP mango moisterizer on the ends and the style comes out gorgeous but dry.

what am i doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can spare.

Type:3c/4a
Current length: 18" just past shoulders
Goals in order: BSL,4in past BSL
Taking: Flaxseed oil, looking into Alfalfa vits

LeNghtyDreAms said:
Im tryna master the art of the Braidout, but no matter what my ends esp. in the back where my hair is mostly 4a is really dry.

Maybe one of you lovely ladies can tell me what Im doing wrong or what i can do to add more moisture.

I wash my hair with Pantene pro-v relaxed and natural shampoo 2x, then i condition it with NTM deep conditoner, combing the conditioner through with a wide tooth comb. Then i oil my scalp with WGO, and then separate into sections and put Pantene pro-v relaxed and natural leave in conditioner. Then i make about nine big braids.I put Elasta QP mango moisterizer on the ends and the style comes out gorgeous but dry.

what am i doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can spare.

Type:3c/4a
Current length: 18" just past shoulders
Goals in order: BSL,4in past BSL
Taking: Flaxseed oil, looking into Alfalfa vits

I use olive oil and water with my conditioner and on the ends I sometimes use shea butter :) lol.

When you say you wash 2x, do you mean twice the same washing session? It is possible that your shampoo could be drying out your hair, as many shampoos are very drying. I've learned here to shampoo my hair just once per wash day. Some of the ladies here condition wash (no shampoo) for more moisture.

I see that you oil your scalp with WGO. You may want to seal in the moisture after your leave-in conditioner with an oil, such as WGO. That's what I do (I use a different oil) to keep my hair and braidouts very moisturized until next wash day.

I bumped this thread for you which has many great braidout suggestions.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=827039&highlight=Braid+out#post827039

Last edited:
I'm still figuring this out myself but I don't shampoo as much (once every 3-4 weeks), I instead conditioner wash, deep condition/finger comb, rinse, towel dry and apply shea butter to the length of my hair before braiding. If I wear all or part of my hair up, I spray with S-curl and slick with aloe vera gel. My hair's much softer.

On the length of your hair before braiding you should use Recovery QP. This stuff will hold up in the coldest weather. I will never look for another creame moisturzing ever again.

Back