Born Again Christians?

StrawberryQueen

Do you believe in this? Once we accept Jesus as our Savior, we are born again, right?

And if we fall by the wayside, and then come back to him, we're born again? :ohwell:

I have a problem with this term because I do not believe people who have accepted Jesus can be born again and again after they've backslid. They just come back into the fold. IMO there is no constant rebirth, we just become stronger in our walk.

What do y'all think?

MRS. Bana :) (that always makes me smile when I read it). Christ said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. He also said, " He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. Paul was told to "Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name." We are also told, "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ." The scriptures equate being born again with baptism which washes away sins (currently baptism is out of vogue so you won't hear many people quoting the 50+ verses on it very often). After you are born again Scripture does not say you are to be rebaptized after every sin, but Paul wrote to the Romans (who were already Christians) "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved". So after you are born again you can call on the name of the Lord and be saved after you sin as opposed to having to be reborn time and again.

I know I used a lot of scripture, but that is the only way I can ensure a correct answer.

There is actually debate over doctrine as to whether or not you can lose your salvation. Personally, I dont think you can. If you could it wouldnt be guaranteed. "“Jesus answered them, ‘I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand.’” We are in a covenant with God, it is based on His ability, not ours. Even though we mess up, He is faithful to keep His word. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.

Christians who backslide are also sometimes referred to as carnal Christians. They have accepted Christ but are not trusting in Him, and have reverted to their former ways. Some say these folx dont exist, that you are either a Christian following the ways of God or you never were a Christian and need to become one. I have a problem with the second school of thought, as we wouldnt have been instructed to confess our sins if we were incapable of sinning after becoming a Christian. To my knowledge there is nothing in the bible that says get saved, and then confess any sins as soon as you are aware or you will lose your salvation. You will not be in fellowship with God if you are in sin, but I believe your salvation is secure. Also, as one who has backslidden a time or two or ten thousand, I can tell you that the internal conflict that goes on once you have been saved is nothing like it was before salvation. Things you can do before knowing God you can do with out conscience. Once you are saved, try to do the same mess and see how much peace you get.

Once you are born again, your spirit is recreated and you live under grace, where there is forgiveness for sins, and not pentalties for breaking laws. Sinning does not undo your spiritual rebirth. As a Christian, you have the help of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you, but you still have carnal desires. Renewing your mind in the word feeds your spirit so it dominates your flesh and helps you live righteously.

Enchantmt said:
There is actually debate over doctrine as to whether or not you can lose your salvation. Personally, I dont think you can. If you could it wouldnt be guaranteed. "“Jesus answered them, ‘I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand.’” We are in a covenant with God, it is based on His ability, not ours. Even though we mess up, He is faithful to keep His word. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.

Christians who backslide are also sometimes referred to as carnal Christians. They have accepted Christ but are not trusting in Him, and have reverted to their former ways. Some say these folx dont exist, that you are either a Christian following the ways of God or you never were a Christian and need to become one. I have a problem with the second school of thought, as we wouldnt have been instructed to confess our sins if we were incapable of sinning after becoming a Christian. To my knowledge there is nothing in the bible that says get saved, and then confess any sins as soon as you are aware or you will lose your salvation. You will not be in fellowship with God if you are in sin, but I believe your salvation is secure. Also, as one who has backslidden a time or two or ten thousand, I can tell you that the internal conflict that goes on once you have been saved is nothing like it was before salvation. Things you can do before knowing God you can do with out conscience. Once you are saved, try to do the same mess and see how much peace you get.

Once you are born again, your spirit is recreated and you live under grace, where there is forgiveness for sins, and not pentalties for breaking laws. Sinning does not undo your spiritual rebirth. As a Christian, you have the help of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you, but you still have carnal desires. Renewing your mind in the word feeds your spirit so it dominates your flesh and helps you live righteously.

Enchantment this is Beautiful... :yep: It reminds me of what Jesus shared here:

"Will He not leave the 90 and 9 and go after the 1 who was lead astray?

In Luke 16, the story of the Prodical son is a beautiful example of God's love for us. God lives for the moment of our return when we go astray.

And when we come to ourselves, return unto Him, there He is, our Heavenly Father, waiting with open arms, a new coat to cover our sins, a ring of eternal committment placed upon our finger and a feast of celebration.

God says He loves us with an everlasting love. Ever and lasting. It never ends, hence never our salvation.

tmichelle said:
MRS. Bana :) (that always makes me smile when I read it). Christ said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. He also said, " He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. Paul was told to "Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name." We are also told, "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ." The scriptures equate being born again with baptism which washes away sins (currently baptism is out of vogue so you won't hear many people quoting the 50+ verses on it very often). After you are born again Scripture does not say you are to be rebaptized after every sin, but Paul wrote to the Romans (who were already Christians) "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved". So after you are born again you can call on the name of the Lord and be saved after you sin as opposed to having to be reborn time and again.

I know I used a lot of scripture, but that is the only way I can ensure a correct answer.
OT: But are you from the Church of Christ? :)

tmichelle said:
Hmmm... how'd you guess :)
The doctrine you portrayed in your post: baptismal regeneration. I don't know much about the different "denominations" (though Church of Christ does not like to be called a denomintion), but the Church of Christ is the only one I've heard of so far that believes that one is saved through baptism:) I met a couple of girls from the L.A Church of Christ on campus 3 weeks ago, it was my first encounter with that Church

Hmm, I guess I might need to clarify a bit. Currently I know of several churches who still believe in Baptism (it seems that in the 19th century most churches did, at least of some sort). Now it seems like it has been relagated to merely a ceremony in most denominations. Other churches off the top of my head that believe in baptism for salvation includes:

Some pentacostal groups
The Christian Church
The Catholic Church (at least according to church doctrine that I read a long time ago).
Some baptist groups
Christ's Church

As for the girls you met on campus, they might not be from the same Church of Christ I am from (unfortunately although Paul said that Christ was not divided we seem to persist in dividing anyway). A group broke off and still describes themselves the same as we but are very different in many ways. Feel free to pm me.

What Enchantment wrote was right on time.

Also, adding to this, as children of God we should remember:

1st - We are a three part being....we are a spirit, have a soul and live in a body.

2nd - When we ask Jesus into our heart, we receive him and our spirit is born again. But, our soul (our rationale, logic, senses, etc.) must be renewed and that comes by reading the Word of God, spending time in fellowship with Him....unlearning what we have learned, and learning to do it God's way. That is a process and takes a total committment to live for Him.

It's a total lifestyle change, folks...this is why it is hard sometimes to do what we know to do is right.

The Apostle Paul said it this way:

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do---this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So, I find this law at work: when I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work in my members." Romans 7: 18 -23 NIV

Last edited:
Nice & Wavy said:
What Enchantment wrote was right on time.

Also, adding to this, as children of God we should remember:

1st - We are a three part being....we are a spirit, have a soul and live in a body.

2nd - When we ask Jesus into our heart, we receive him and our spirit is born again. But, our soul (our rationale, logic, senses, etc.) must be renewed and that comes by reading the Word of God, spending time in fellowship with Him....unlearning what we have learned, and learning to do it God's way. That is a process and takes a total committment to live for Him.

It's a total lifestyle change, folks...this is why it is hard sometimes to do what we know to do is right.

The Apostle Paul said it this way:

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do---this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So, I find this law at work: when I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work in my members." Romans 7: 18 -23 NIV

Another beautiful answer...;)

My question may be off topic but here goes:

You have a saved sanctified person that truly loves the lord and has "fallen into sin" backslidden. Not completely backslidden but maybe say in one area of his life. what is his spiritual state? What is going on spiritual with this person? He is still reading the bible, still praising God etc. How does God look upon that person? After the person repents does the person miss out on God's blessings/promises for his life?

Just wondering I have not really studied sin, but I heard a sermon last night that triggered a few thoughts. The lady said that Moses didn't get to go into the promises land because of his sin.

So I thought Moses is old testament he was under the law we are under grace. Does that mean Christian sinners will miss out on the promises of God?

She also said that sin is seperation from God. 2. God is forever married to the back slidder.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

There were some good answers, I'll add this scripture

Philippians 1:6
Being confident in this one thing, he that began a good work in you will perform it until Jesus Christ. (KJV)

Once you truly give your life to Christ he begans a work in you and he will keep on perfecting you until the day you die or he raptures the church.

Yes you will fall but know that as long as you repent he'll keep on doing his good work in you. No need to be reborn each time, just a repenting heart and mind to turn and keep on running.

That's why the bible says A just man falls seven times, and that doesn't mean you only get 7 chances to fall or sin.

As long as we have this flesh we will miss the mark sometimes, but we must be willing and humble enough to ask for forgiveness and then forgive ourselves, turn from the sin and then keep on running.

Be Blessed

gn1g said:
My question may be off topic but here goes:

You have a saved sanctified person that truly loves the lord and has "fallen into sin" backslidden. Not completely backslidden but maybe say in one area of his life. what is his spiritual state? What is going on spiritual with this person? He is still reading the bible, still praising God etc. How does God look upon that person? After the person repents does the person miss out on God's blessings/promises for his life?

Just wondering I have not really studied sin, but I heard a sermon last night that triggered a few thoughts. The lady said that Moses didn't get to go into the promises land because of his sin.

So I thought Moses is old testament he was under the law we are under grace. Does that mean Christian sinners will miss out on the promises of God?

She also said that sin is seperation from God. 2. God is forever married to the back slidder.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

This comes to mind...remember when King David sinned a great sin ( I won't name his sin)....God said after that that "David was a man after His own heart." God still loved him and gave him the best, but....David still had to pay a price for the sin that was committed.

It's important to know that God loves the person, hates the sin. When a Christian sin and does not repent (totally and completely turn away from the sin and sin no more) it can cause spiritual death:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 8:9-17
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Hope that helps.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Another scripture I thought of is

Ephesians 4:30
And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God whereby we are sealed until the day of redemption.

We are sealed because of our position in Christ and Christ is sealed because of who he is.

We are not sealed based on nothing that we've done, not our works, not our looks, not even our hair, but only by his grace.

My thoughts are many,

Forgiveness vs Repenting vs falling
Could a person ask for forgiveness and be sincere in requesting forgiveness yet continues to dabble in the sin? I suppose that means they are not truly repentent. But are they forgiven?

gn1g said:
My thoughts are many,

Forgiveness vs Repenting vs falling
Could a person ask for forgiveness and be sincere in requesting forgiveness yet continues to dabble in the sin? I suppose that means they are not truly repentent. But are they forgiven?

Jesus forgave man and showed us how much when He died on the cross for our sins.

But, like the woman who was caught in the act of adultery, He said "go, and sin no more."

We must be sold out for Jesus to live this life for Him. He has to be our all and all!!!

Blessings.

N&W if a person has the Spirit of God then they are sinless? And is being filled with the Holy Spirit the same thing?

And Are you saying that being Sold out for Jesus = no sin?

But wasn't David all of the above yet caught in the snare?

gn1g said:
N&W if a person has the Spirit of God then they are sinless? And is being filled with the Holy Spirit the same thing?
As a child of God, we have the ability NOT to sin because of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us. Sin snares us and we can fall into the trap of sinning against God by disobedience.

And Are you saying that being Sold out for Jesus = no sin?[/B]

No, what I'm saying is that you have got to be sold out for Jesus by CHOOSING not to sin. All of us are made aware of sin when it is present before us and so we have a choice to either walk away from it or be partakers.

But wasn't David all of the above yet caught in the snare?

David didn't hve the holy Spirit living on the inside of him. Yes, he was a man after God's own heart, however his sin got the best of him and he chose to do the wrong thing rather than do what the Lord told him to. He understood the laws of God, yet he still made a choice, just like we make choices everyday of our lives. We must denounce sin on every level...not just sometimes, but everytime.

Now, does that mean we will be sinless, no...as creatures of habit, we, like David, set ourselves up for a fall too because we don't take God at His word. Then, when things are out of control in our lives, because WE sinned, we look to God to take us out of it. The Bible says that a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

I want to be as stable as I can be because I do want to hear these words..."Well done!"

Blessings.

I wasn't sure if you had seen the above answers I gave to your questions, but I just highlighted and bolded it because I was on my Sidekick last night answering and I couldn't do the bold feature then.

Last edited:
Nice & Wavy said:
David didn't hve the holy Spirit living on the inside of him. Yes, he was a man after God's own heart, however his sin got the best of him and he chose to do the wrong thing rather than do what the Lord told him to. He understood the laws of God, yet he still made a choice, just like we make choices everyday of our lives. We must denounce sin on every level...not just sometimes, but everytime.

Now, does that mean we will be sinless, no...as creatures of habit, we, like David, set ourselves up for a fall too because we don't take God at His word. Then, when things are out of control in our lives, because WE sinned, we look to God to take us out of it. The Bible says that a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

I want to be as stable as I can be because I do want to hear these words..."Well done!"

Blessings.

Thanks N&W, Makes sense to me. I understand being sold out to Christ. Perfectly. I am very familiar with your quote Romans 7:18-23 as well.

When I was listening to the sermon the other day the lady said the smallest acts of disobedience (sin) can keep you from your destiny. It is my earnest hearts desire to die empty to live out my destiny.
I believe that many many many christians are active sinners whether they confess it or not. (JMHO)

sin is a lot of different things. . . lying, worrying, fear, cheating, stealing, fornicating, adultrey, murder, not loving your neighbor, even stealing time at work to surf this site is a sin, etc. All sins are the same. Which is why I wondered about the difference and the consequences of being forgiven although one has not really repented also how a righteous man falls seven times and rises. Before I was saved I was in sin, the Lord brought me out, yet there are times when I want to go back there but I haven't. In the words of Juanita Bynum "We must kill the flesh daily" .

What I do know is that God is full of mercy and compassion. His mercy endureth forever! His resurrection power is still applicable today, He is able to not only resurrect the naturally dead but the spiritually dead as well.

I not only want to hear the words "well done" I also want my heavenly rewards.

You are welcome gn1g. Glad to know that you do understand scripture.

gn1g said:
Thanks N&W, Makes sense to me. I understand being sold out to Christ. Perfectly. I am very familiar with your quote Romans 7:18-23 as well.

When I was listening to the sermon the other day the lady said the smallest acts of disobedience (sin) can keep you from your destiny. It is my earnest hearts desire to die empty to live out my destiny.
I believe that many many many christians are active sinners whether they confess it or not. (JMHO)

sin is a lot of different things. . . lying, worrying, fear, cheating, stealing, fornicating, adultrey, murder, not loving your neighbor, even stealing time at work to surf this site is a sin, etc. All sins are the same. Which is why I wondered about the difference and the consequences of being forgiven although one has not really repented also how a righteous man falls seven times and rises. Before I was saved I was in sin, the Lord brought me out, yet there are times when I want to go back there but I haven't. In the words of Juanita Bynum "We must kill the flesh daily" .

What I do know is that God is full of mercy and compassion. His mercy endureth forever! His resurrection power is still applicable today, He is able to not only resurrect the naturally dead but the spiritually dead as well.

I not only want to hear the words "well done" I also want my heavenly rewards.

Enchantmt said:
To my knowledge there is nothing in the bible that says get saved, and then confess any sins as soon as you are aware or you will lose your salvation. You will not be in fellowship with God if you are in sin, but I believe your salvation is secure. Also, as one who has backslidden a time or two or ten thousand, I can tell you that the internal conflict that goes on once you have been saved is nothing like it was before salvation. Things you can do before knowing God you can do with out conscience. Once you are saved, try to do the same mess and see how much peace you get.

I love and agree with what you posted. The bolded sure is the truth!:) That is one of the reasons I don't attempt to judge other Christian by saying they are not true Christians because we all sin. Some folks just know how and/or want to hide the feelings and actions better than others which embarrasses them more once the truth comes out. :(

Back