Bantu knots... what do you use to help them "set" quickly?

daydreem2876

carpe diem
recently, i have been experimenting with bantu knots. my problem is waiting/getting them to dry within a reasonable period of time. i don't even try on wet hair because that would take two days. i have tried several types of moisturizers, spritzes, and oils, on dry hair but in the morning my hair still is not dry. So what and how much of whatever do you use?

I use a little bit of shescentit coco creme leave in to moisturize. Then I put in the knots, put a grocery bag over my head, and go to bed.
In the morning, first thing, I take off the bag, put back on my scarf and keep it on until I've showered. Then I take it off, and let my hair dry in the air until I'm ready to leave. By then, it's completely dry (about 30 - 45 minutes). I take out the knots, finger comb them, and then bun my hair.

When I put my hair up, the waves are set. And when I take down the bun at night, they're still there, so I guess it stays pretty well. I've never tried to wear them out and free though.

But I feel like it should hold up fine...it's pretty much the same thing as doing a braidout or twistout on damp hair.
hth.

I haven't done this in years, but I found a YT vid for you. She uses Silken Child and JBCO. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0kIhWAiKk

Her hair came out really nice too.

I used her tutorial for my bantu knot out below. I just used mizani rose h2o in place of the silken child (i can't stand the pump, always tons of product left in the bottle), I put my oil mix on to seal and I put shea moisture on the tip. Mine didn't come out as good as hers, but it was the best they ever had. Prior to, I had given up on them...

SAM_0006med.jpg

SAM_0011med.jpg

SAM_0014med.jpg

Last edited:
my avi is a bantu-knot out... I used Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (quarter sized amount), GVP Silk Remedy (dime sized amount), and JBCO (dime sized amount) on dry hair the night before and the next morning it came out dry.

Do you think you may be sweating thru the night??? Or using too much product?

hair butter aught to do it (shea butter/coconut oil mix/elasta qp mango butter). These products set my hair fast -- and beautifully

I used her tutorial for my bantu knot out below. I just used mizani rose h2o in place of the silken child (i can't stand the pump, always tons of product left in the bottle), I put my oil mix on to seal and I put shea moisture on the tip. Mine didn't come out as good as hers, but it was the best they ever had. Prior to, I had given up on them...

SAM_0006med.jpg

SAM_0011med.jpg

SAM_0014med.jpg

Beautiful! :yep:

I use some type of mousse. By the time I take a shower, lotion up and put on my makeup, they are dry so basically 30 minutes or so. Try and get alcohol free kind.

Your hair is beautiful!

SAM_0006med.jpg

SAM_0011med.jpg

SAM_0014med.jpg

Back