attn: maxigliders/transitioners

bellezanegra826

Ok So I have decided that I am going to try to transition and/or stretch my relaxer until christmas. I went on Folica.com to read the reviews about maxiglide but I'm not sure what I should do because not all of those women have african american hair. My linens-n-things is selling maxiglide for $78.00, which is the cheapest I have seen so far. Is maxiglide worth the price or is it just like regular flat irons. I have seen this maxiglide demonstrated on tv and it looks like the hair is magically transformed but is this just a tv trick? Has anyone used maxiglide and liked or disliked the results? Would this product make natural hair look like a perm or does it only work miracles on already permed hair? Please share your experiences good or bad with me. TIA!

I don't have a Maxiglide, but I'm curious to know the responses too. I have a 'average' Vidal Sassoon flat iron from Target that works just fine, but I've heard some pretty awesome reviews for maxiglide. For $78 it better be worth it!

Well I received my Maxiglide as a gift from my aunt who is natural along w/her daughter, and I do their hair regularly using the Maxiglide along w/a little hair oil and the steam and it straights and curls w/o a problem. I believe it's well work it and my aunt that paid for them hasn't complained either ;) .;)

I have a maxiglide and up until now had underprocessed/texturized hair. It gets my hair straight but my hair would start to frizz and puff back up after a while. I attributed it to the humidity BUT, I got a relaxer touchup and corrective this weekend, maxiglided my hair and it has not reverted yet (it's been two days). Also, the products that he sells along with the maxiglide (beyond straight anti humectant and the end serum) are important for keeping your hair straight after the maxiglide gets it straight. I don't have these products but a friend of mine does and she said the products work. Thats what keeps the hair from frizzing (as seen on the infomercial where the girl is in the steam room and the maxiglided side of her hair is still straight when she comes out) That's not the maxiglide that keeps it straight but the products. I'm stressing this b/c I was not able to really enjoy the benefits of my maxiglide until I relaxed b/c my hair would not stay straight. HTH

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Well I received my Maxiglide as a gift from my aunt who is natural along w/her daughter, and I do their hair regularly using the Maxiglide along w/a little hair oil and the steam and it straights and curls w/o a problem. I believe it's well work it and my aunt that paid for them hasn't complained either ;) .;)

I think the oil might have helped my situation but I don't like using oil b/c my hair is fine and gets limp and lifeless with it. Did they have problems with humidity?

I ordered the Maxiglide about a month ago and yesterday was the first opportunity to use it. I am trying to stretch to 12 weeks (at 9 right now), but after I did my hair yesterday, I may go for 16! I was impressed by the infomercial and kept watching it over and over and over again b/c I thought it was a t.v. trick too, but I used it yesterday and I was pleased with the results. The only problem I had was me. I am not used to using heat appliances except for a hooded dryer and I was a little nervous when I saw the steam coming from the maxiglide -(when you press the little steam button to release the steam), but it actually does work. The other thing is that it took me too darn long to finish my hair, but again, that's me and not the iron.:) If I was used to using flat irons, curling irons, etc. I don't think it would have taken as long. I remember someone on here posting that it took them about 30 minutes and they had pictures and had a head full of hair too, so that part was just my fault that it took me that long.....But all in all, my hair really did come out nice, smooth and shiny like the commercial says it will.

Oops, I just realized that the thread was for people transitioning, but even though I am not transitioning, I think you will still be able to get great results from the maxiglide. I air dried my hair and it dries "big", and crinkly, so I really had a challenge. I would probably liken my crinkled hair to your new growth and the maxiglided straightened it out pretty good (along with my new growth), so I think it should be able to work well for you. My mother is natural and presses her hair. When she comes to visit in a couple of weeks, I am going to get her to let me use the MaxiGlide on her and see what kind of results she would get.......

I think it would be a good investment.

Does the maxiglide pull your hair out? I have really thick, coarse hair, not the silky wavy hair that you see in the commercial.

great question caligirl, i have the same hair type as you. This isn't a questino just for transitioners I mainly want to know about the maxiglide.

bellezanegra826 said:
great question caligirl, i have the same hair type as you. This isn't a questino just for transitioners I mainly want to know about the maxiglide.

That was the only thing I didn't like about it. My hair is fine and the I air dried it, so it doesn't dry straight, it dries curly like a gerri curl. I know the little "grippers" prevent you from having to pull on your hair, but I did find that my hair is too fragile and I felt like I was pulling it out and I did find hair in the little grippers on the plate. If your hair is thick and strong, I think it would be able to handle it; just made me nervous that I was pulling my hair out. I think you will still get the silky look though.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the finished look (looks just as good as when I have gotten it done at the salon) and I will use it again, but I just won't be able to use it very often.

Last edited:
I havent tried the maxiglide, but just wanted to add if you do decide to get it make sure you use the 20% off coupon that comes in the mail. If you dont receive them register on line at linens and things AND bed bath and beyond we b sites. You can use either discount at either place. You also have 10 days after purchase to get the discount if you have already purchased. You just have to have a valid coupon.

HTH

Didn't like the maxiglide, not made for my hair at least. I do LUV my Corioliss and my FHI 207. WOrks WONDERS for me... Bought the Corioliss for $145, the FHI $89 (overstock.com) and just use the Beyond the Zone Turn up the heat thermal spray on each section SPARINGLY (like 1/2 of a spritz, if that).LUV IT. Hair never dry, never burnt, very straight. My sister is one of those die-hard stove and Kizuri marcel flat iron people (why?? don't know..she has 2c/3a hair, hmph!!!!) but I turned her on tot he Corioliss, and she's in love with it. Get's up to 430 deg, but won't even burn tissue, or a cotton ball......

I think it grips about as much as a pressing comb does.

The instructions do say to be sure that you've combed out the "kinky" before running the iron over it. It also says that if its gripping your hair, you either need to not apply so much pressure (ie pressing the plates together ) or you may need to run it over a smaller amount of hair.

All in all, I love it. For some reason, my FHI just does not leave my hair in the same condition as this does. My FHI worked great when I was relaxed, but not that I have transitioned, it just does nothing for my natural hair.

I have the Maxiglide and I am natural. I've only used it once, I have pics in my album if you would like to check them out. I did not use an anti-humectant so it only lasted about 3 days, but that's good considering other flat irons I used.

I'm not transitioning but I'm natural. That Maxiglide is like MAGIC to my hair! Right now I'm sporting a press that I did with it 11 days ago and it still looks good. For some reason I'm afraid to use the steam burst though. My hair only reverted a little in the very front from me carelessly washing my face but other than that it looks like a fresh press.( I wrap it at night). I dont use any other products to press but a little coconut oil and thats it. I highly recommend it.

I just bought the maxiglide and I'm a convert! It worked wonders on my hair. I'm natural and I usually have to blowdry then flat iron and even then I still sometimes have tangles. I was losing a lot of hair this way and wanted to omit the blow drying process. My hair was becoming very damaged in the crown.

I read a lot of reviews on various sites before using this thing. I see a lot of people talking about tangling their hair but I found that if I wasn't trying to straighten too much hair at once, and I went very slowly, then the iron barely touched my hair and it was as if the steam (not the steam burst) seemed to relax and straighten the hair itself. When they say if it seems to be pulling your hair then you have the irons closed too tightly they're right. I would open them up a bit and my hair wouldn't even be touching the plates. My hair came out fuller than with a regular ceramic iron (I have fine hair) but straight. It wasn't that dead greasy straight that my flat iron usually does and it lasted for 4 days until I washed it out. I used my oil mix and shea butter mix after washing then NTM serum.
With all of the problems I have been experiencing with an extra tangled crown this seems to be the answer for me.

My hair is 4a/b. I'm hoping to get a hold of my sister and try it on a section of her hair. She presses and is 4b. The steam burst really does work.

I used the coupon for BedBath & Beyond and had every intention of returning it if it was junk.

Q

Last edited:
I have been transitioning, next month will be year. Anyway, the maxiglide has worked wonders for my hair as well as my mother who is completely natual. My mother and I both have 4a/4b hair. This iron is definitely a keeper!

blackbarbie said:
That was the only thing I didn't like about it. My hair is fine and the I air dried it, so it doesn't dry straight, it dries curly like a gerri curl. I know the little "grippers" prevent you from having to pull on your hair, but I did find that my hair is too fragile and I felt like I was pulling it out and I did find hair in the little grippers on the plate. If your hair is thick and strong, I think it would be able to handle it; just made me nervous that I was pulling my hair out. I think you will still get the silky look though.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the finished look (looks just as good as when I have gotten it done at the salon) and I will use it again, but I just won't be able to use it very often.

I've had the Maxiglide since Feb. It's best to detangle and blow dry real good first. The little teeth won't grab your hair unless it is tangled, that is where the steam comes in. That steam leaves the hair feeling so moist but yet still straight. I don't use it unless I have too. I think my daughter's hair was reverting quicker because of it. My transing hair stay straight for days on end.

Meanwhile, while pressing with the glide, you are required to use a very gentle hand. You don't squeeze the unit closed like you would any other flat iron. You let the teeth do the work and it will 'glide' through the hair. I agree, you hair has to be pretty strong. You can try using the flat plate then go behind with the teeth.

Also, I found that a light oil like Surge Lotion Motion #9 or Coconut works wonders and leaves the hair shiny.

Someone actually broke my glide accidently a few months ago so I haven't used it in a while. I pressed my daughter's natural hair with a pressing comb last week and I realize that I got a shinier, smoother and straighter press with the glide.

hth

brownsugar9999 said:
Didn't like the maxiglide, not made for my hair at least. I do LUV my Corioliss and my FHI 207. WOrks WONDERS for me... Bought the Corioliss for $145, the FHI $89 (overstock.com) and just use the Beyond the Zone Turn up the heat thermal spray on each section SPARINGLY (like 1/2 of a spritz, if that).LUV IT. Hair never dry, never burnt, very straight. My sister is one of those die-hard stove and Kizuri marcel flat iron people (why?? don't know..she has 2c/3a hair, hmph!!!!) but I turned her on tot he Corioliss, and she's in love with it. Get's up to 430 deg, but won't even burn tissue, or a cotton ball......
This is a wonder iron! I saw it demostrated at Cumberland Mall, in Marietta, GA. You must have the pink one? It doesn't even smell burnt!

Question. Do you naturals blow dry your hair first? I bought the Maxiglide a few months ago but I'm afraid to use it. I tried it on a section of my hair when I first got it and when I heard that sizzlling sound, I stopped. I thought I was burning my hair off.:lol:

I just bought mine today but i'm afraid to try it out. It costs so much money I would hate to break it and then not be able to return it. I think I am going to deep condition my hair then flat iron it. When I went home today for a bit, I hid the maxiglide in my car like it was a drug I don't know why. I reallllllllllly hope this works and if it does i will be a transitioner!

I bought the Maxiglide around 1 month ago and I absolutely love it. I'm currently 14 weeks post relaxer and you would think that I had recently relaxed my hair after I use it. I also was afraid of the comb like feature of it, but as someone else mentioned, you have to comb through your hair before running the Maxiglide through it. That thing works wonders. I'm thinking about buying the beyond straight and edge that comes along with it to see the results. The Maxiglide is a good investment.

bellezanegra826 said:
I just bought mine today but i'm afraid to try it out. It costs so much money I would hate to break it and then not be able to return it. I think I am going to deep condition my hair then flat iron it. When I went home today for a bit, I hid the maxiglide in my car like it was a drug I don't know why. I reallllllllllly hope this works and if it does i will be a transitioner!

:grin: O.K. I am not laughing, but that is too funny ("hid the maxiglide in my car like it was a drug!!!)....Girl, go on and use that thang and let us know how it works!!! Make you hair beauti-mus!:lachen: From the testimonials even here on the board (and we wouldn't lie to you), for the most part, sounds like it's a winner. Seems like I'm the only dummy that just couldn't use it right (pulling my hair out and crap and squeezing the doggone thing too tight!!) Even though I didn't use it right, I still got great results; just imagine what's going to happen when I take everyone's tips and put them to good use next time....

You have our permission to indulge in your drugs....Make sure you post pics!!

You guys are right on time with this thread. I saw an informericial and wondered if anyone had used the maxiglide with success. I use a Chi iron to flat iron my roots between retouch, but it's difficult to get close to the roots, and I don't think it's good to use often. After the positive reviews, I'm definitely going to buy a maxiglide.:)

blackbarbie said:

I also have fine hair and I don't think Maxiglide would be a good investment for me. I don't want any "grippers" pulling out my hair.

SilkyandSmooth said:
Question. Do you naturals blow dry your hair first? I bought the Maxiglide a few months ago but I'm afraid to use it. I tried it on a section of my hair when I first got it and when I heard that sizzlling sound, I stopped. I thought I was burning my hair off.:lol:

I don't blow dry my hair, I think as long as your hair is detangled you should be fine. What setting did you have it on to hear it sizzle? Also what did you have on your hair?

I am 10 months post and not really sure if I am transitioning or not yet, but I was very pleased with the results. I had the Sedu and returned it once I tried Maxiglide simply because with transitioning hair or even stretched relaxers, the sedu only flattens your hair leaving you with the task of having to blow dry. ITA that the MG acts as a pressing comb and flat iron/curler in one.

Sometimes I refresh it by just touching up the corners (like a pressing comb) and that's it. My hair is soo silky and and soft, unbelievable. I would trade it for a relaxer but I workout everyday and my hair would not like that kind of heat everyday. Maxiglide is a great investment:)

HTH

I have a mini-update. Now this may sound crazy, but I bought this maxiglide while I was in the midst of a bun challenge. I wanted to try the product out but I didn't want to put my hair through the stress of taking it down from a bun, flat ironing it and putting it back up again so I just flat ironed my bangs. The results were pretty much amazing. I didn't think the maxiglide would be able to get up to my roots since it is so big, but it did straighten my roots and the hair that I maxied looks like a fresh perm. I have never had a heating appliance make my roots look silky smooth. I have 4bcdefg hair if you get my drift. I am going to take my hair down later on this week to wash and treat it so that I won't feel guilty about flatironing it. If the results are as good as they have been so far, I will not be getting a perm anytime before December if ever again. I will keep you updated!

bellezanegra826 said:
I have a mini-update. Now this may sound crazy, but I bought this maxiglide while I was in the midst of a bun challenge. I wanted to try the product out but I didn't want to put my hair through the stress of taking it down from a bun, flat ironing it and putting it back up again so I just flat ironed my bangs. The results were pretty much amazing. I didn't think the maxiglide would be able to get up to my roots since it is so big, but it did straighten my roots and the hair that I maxied looks like a fresh perm. I have never had a heating appliance make my roots look silky smooth. I have 4bcdefg hair if you get my drift. I am going to take my hair down later on this week to wash and treat it so that I won't feel guilty about flatironing it. If the results are as good as they have been so far, I will not be getting a perm anytime before December if ever again. I will keep you updated!

Good for you girl!! Glad you were pleased with the results. :) Now you will REALLY be pleased when you take all of it down and do all of it.....Good Luck!

i love the maxiglide.....definitely detangle well before youuse it and let it air dry a little bit.

I use the steam bursts.....

I looved how it made my hair feel! I will maxiglide again before I get my winter braids.

Back