At what age was your hair first processed?

Nice

I had my hair first processed when i was 9 (yes I know very young). I actually had the dreaded Jheri Curls /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif. When I turned 12, I got my hair relaxed.

According to my mother mine was at age 5. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif She told me that she did not know how to do my hair and that threre was always a struggle with me when it was time to do my hair.

She prob didn't know any better.

[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:
According to my mother mine was at age 5. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif She told me that she did not know how to do my hair and that threre was always a struggle with me when it was time to do my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed now that you are natural? When did you decide to go natural?

I always wondered how I would look without processed hair but my roots scare me. It is so hard to manage /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Maybe one day.

It was when i was 6 y/o. I actually remember the whole thing like it was yesterday including my mom telling me to "sit still 'cause if this gets in your eyes you'll be blind." I was scared because she was pulling on my hair and i didnt really know what she was doing but i knew whatever she was putting in it didnt smell good. -- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed now that you are natural? When did you decide to go natural?

I always wondered how I would look without processed hair but my roots scare me. It is so hard to manage /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Maybe one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

last relaxer was 2 years ago and I am loving it. I started transitioning in october 2002 and cut the last relaxed ends in June 2003 with a couple of extra chops after that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It actually took my mother some time to get used to seeing me without a relaxer but now she supports it.

It was at 9 and I got a leisure curl so I could be like the other kids (my ma still had me in 2 ponytails). My hair got over processed and fell out. It took another 5 or 6 years before it was in good condition and growing again /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I was 7 or 8 when I got the dreaded Jheri curl (2nd grade). I begged and begged, even though my mom tried to tell me that my hair could curl up on it's own. I should have listened. I got my first relaxer around 12 or 13 after the jheri curl had grown out some. That was my first and last super short haircut.

I was 12, I think...in 6th grade. All the girls had gotten their hair relaxed and I didn't want to be left out so I BEGGED my mother to take me to the beauty shop. She did. It wasn't a bad experience. Actually my hair would still curl up when wet and so I wore it like that a lot as a kid--but I also grew up with a swimming pool and would swim and not wash my hair right away--and so my hair started to break off. Then as I got older I played around with all the "in" haircuts. I had the MC Lyte, mushroom cut, the Halle Berry cut, you name it I had it. I just decided to actually try to grow my hair in the past few years....

[ QUOTE ]
laketta said:

[/ QUOTE ]
exact same situation.

I got my first relaxer at age 8. My natural hair was breaking and shedding a lot and I thought a relaxer would make my hair grow long. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif What can I say, I was only 8, I didn't know any better. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My mom refused to let me get one at first but after months of begging and a lot of breakage and hair falling out, she finally took me to the shop to get it done. We mistakenly thought that getting a relaxer would cure the breakage since we no longer had to worry about knots and tangles while detangling.

I later realized that the problem wasn't with my natural hair but with styling methods and the products we were using. Wonderful product lines for natural hair like Carols Daughter didn't exist back then and we never would have thought to only comb my natural hair while wet. The dry combing and brushing along with using grease as a moisturizer is what was really breaking my hair off.

It's too bad because looking back I know that 8 years old is way too young to have chemically processed hair, but thank God I know better now. If I have daughters they are so not allowed to get any chemicals in their hair until they're 20 something, lol.

I was in the 10th grade. I guess I was 15 or 16. I felt like I was the only black girl in the state with natural (kinky) hair. My mom absolutely refused to let me get a relaxer. But she got a full time teaching job and didn't have time to do my hair anymore. So I got took to da hair shop. I was so happy. For a few weeks anyway. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I thought I was going to be able to shampoo, rinse and go like women with naturally straight hair. /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Age 16. With my first paychech, I lied and told the beautician (who knew my parents)that I had their permission for a relaxer and a haircut(2 firsts). I was so proud of myself and happy until my father noticed the difference in my hair.

I just want to say thank you for having this board. I've learned a lot about caring for my hair by lurking. I'm glad I joined as a member.

[ QUOTE ]
HWAY said:
Age 16. With my first paychech, I lied and told the beautician (who knew my parents)that I had their permission for a relaxer and a haircut(2 firsts). I was so proud of myself and happy until my father noticed the difference in my hair.

I just want to say thank you for having this board. I've learned a lot about caring for my hair by lurking. I'm glad I joined as a member.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I was in second grade. My mother drove about 40 miles away to get both our hair pressed. Then the lady gave her a perm (when her specialty was pressing) and I was there and horrified to see my mother's hair coming out in clumps and I said so. My mother stopped going to her and she sent me with a friend of hers, but that turned into a long day for me and I HATED it. But my mother was used to someone else doing my pressing and she didn't want to do it. The beautician that she went to didn't press children's hair so I got a perm. I was too happy. I didn't really care about the perm because I didn't care whether my hair was done or not. I was just glad I didn't have to go with my mother's friend.

Re: At what age was your hair first processed? *DELETED*

I was nine and I think my Mom got tired of gettting my hair pressed. I remember going to school and taking my hair out of the phonytails because it felt so silky.

I was nine and loved the fact that my hair was straight instead of the afro puffs I sported my entire life. By high school I suffered a set back because of breakage.

Come to think of it I remember my mother drenching my ends in mineral oil trying to moisturize. That probably made it worse. Good thing I learned to take care of my hair myself. I hated going to a stylist even then.

When I was 10, after much begging...I was so sick of being pressed...if only I had known /images/graemlins/nono.gif.

I was 8 and I didn't know what it was, but it burned.

I got my first relaxer at 12, my Grandmother had passed away and my Mom nor anyone else wanted to take over the job of pressing my hair. My hair was almost waist length, and by 7th grade it was bra strap, 8th grade it was collar bone. I had to care for it myself so I didn't know what I was doing.

Damn...I realize that alot of us had our hair processed at a very young age. I know that I will make the same mistake with my own child /images/graemlins/smile.gif. She is just going to have to wait until she reached junior high or something /images/graemlins/look.gif

Back