Article Dating Woes of Successful Women

Country gal

Interesting article on Successful women and men who may feel intimidated. It is not a bash women article.

Dating Woes of Successful Women
Are men intimidated by women who out-earn them? They can be. A panel discusses the issue and how to deal…

Add page to favoritesBy Amanda May

More from Match
View photos of singles near you
Complete Chemistry's personality quiz & get matches
Get 3 months of Match.com for the price of 1
Is it true that guys avoid powerful gals because their egos can’t handle it? Relationship experts and real men weigh in.

Roundtable participants:
Diane Mapes, author, How to Date in a Post-Dating World
Steve Nakamoto, author, Men Are Like Fish: What Every Woman Needs to Know about Catching a Man
Andy, 30, entrepreneur
Craig, 33, recruiter
Alex, 25, lawyer

Q: There’s been a lot of talk lately that successful, career-oriented women have trouble creating lasting relationships because men feel intimidated. Do you think that is true?

Steve Nakamoto: The traditional male role is to be the provider and protector. If a guy loses that, he may feel like he's losing his pride. Many men feel like their identity is wrapped up in what they do and how much they earn. It’s an external validation of their success, and a woman who is more successful than they are may threaten how they view themselves.

Craig: Many men do get intimidated by a woman who earns more or is more successful. They’re told that they’re supposed to be the breadwinners. I think it’s going to take awhile for society to get used to the fact that with more women working, traditional gender roles don’t necessarily apply.

Andy: Of course it depends on the man, but to feel financially superfluous is emasculating. No one wants to be reminded that he’s a failure, and I can definitely see that putting additional pressure on a relationship.

Over 15 million singles...View photos near you!
I'm a
womanmanSeeking a
manwomanBetween ages
18192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120 & 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120NearAlready a member?Q: Do you tend to date women who are more or less successful than you?

Andy: I generally date women who make less money than me. I think the reason is I take my career very seriously. I know that sounds arrogant, but I'm a pretty driven guy, more driven than most men and women. That said, the girl I'm dating now makes more money than I do — a lot more! However, that’s mainly because I’m starting my own company. We both know that over the long-term, I have the potential to make much more than she does.

Craig: I was engaged once when very young to a woman who was not career-minded and wanted to live off of me. It was a godsend we didn’t get married! Since then, I’ve dated women who’ve made more or made less than me, but it didn’t affect the relationship. If you’re with someone you have fun with, why should it matter? I don’t want a wallflower, I want someone who can look after herself.

Alex: As it has turned out, the women I date are not as successful as I am, but that is purely coincidental. I don't discriminate based on career.

Q: What kind of problems can arise when a woman is more successful than her date?

Andy: The worst thing she can do is emasculate the guy she's dating in public with respect to money. Comments like, “Oh, I wish we could come with you, but Bob here doesn't make enough money,” said in front of a group of people will make Bob start looking for another woman.

Steve Nakamoto: Successful women tend to work really long hours. Some men may feel like the woman is too busy and doesn’t have time for them. A man who wants to be taken care of by a woman won’t do well in this kind of relationship.

Diane Mapes: I think some women inadvertently send the message that "I’m too busy or too important for you," and no one likes to sit down at a table with someone who goes on and on about their accomplishments or how busy they are. With online dating, the whole process is accelerated: There’s a tendency for women to dump their resume in a guy’s lap, and it can be overwhelming.

Q: Should a woman try to play down her achievements when meeting a guy for the first time?

Diane Mapes: Absolutely not. That’s the old message that a woman needs to trick a man into marrying her. Who wants someone you need to win with deceit?

Andy: I wouldn't say a woman should "dumb down" her achievements when meeting a guy for the first time, but she doesn't need to emphasize them, either. Let a first meeting be what it should be: A chance for two people to get to know each other, not get to know where they went to school, how much money they make and how powerful they are.

Q: What advice would you give to a woman who feels that her financial success is intimidating to men and is getting in the way of her forming a lasting relationship?

Diane Mapes: Women who are very accomplished tend to have very high expectations — perhaps unrealistically so. It’s tough to find someone who seems just right for you, and successful women may have a smaller dating pool because they won’t necessarily "date down" financially like many men are willing to do. I’d advise women to be open-minded. There are a lot of really smart, substantial guys who are attractive in non-traditional ways.

Steve Nakamoto: Women need to do certain things to make sure money is not an issue. For example, let him romance you, spend money on you, even if he doesn’t make much. She should also understand that she shouldn’t buy him expensive gifts — he’ll feel like he can’t reciprocate. Once a man is in love, it’s not as big a deal. At that point, even an intimidated guy will let down his guard.

Andy: The vast majority of guys will be sensitive to the woman’s clout, so her being sensitive to it as well is a big first step. Women can say "It's not my fault that I make more" or "That’s his issue, not mine," but the problem there is, the connection between two people is being seen only in financial terms. So my advice would be, stop thinking so much about money! Focus elsewhere, and see what develops between the two people involved without a price tag hanging over each of your heads.

Amanda May is a freelance writer living in Brooklyn, NY who’s written for Redbook and other publications.

Article courtesy of Happen magazine, www.happenmag.com.

More from MSN Lifestyle Site Search: For more great content on dating and money issues, go here.

Recently I was dating a guy, I had more stuff than him and made more money. He seemed intimidating. I never through it up in his face but sometimes I would do nice stuff for him and he felt he could never reciprocate it.

I know some other ladies who are "Successful Women" ... Here is what I have learned from them and myself and my own marriage. IMHO.

Many of these "successful women" all they want to do is talk about themselves and their degree and how much they earn and how independent they are and how they have this and how they have that and how they don't need this and how they don't need that.

For the men... It may not be intimidating after all. Men need to still feel loved and cared for and respected at least... Many of these women do not humble themselves one bit and they "successful women" need to do that.

Being that I see other "successful women" I learned from what I see of them and don't do it myself. If I walked around talking all of that in the first paragraph I know I would irritate my husband and he would not like me. lol.. I dunno can't be sure. These women the first thing they do on the date is say, I have a Masters Degree in Sociology... For example. Then they talk about themselves the entire time... If a male did this, we wouldn't give him a second date either.

Some women that's all they have is the "successful woman" and beneath the surface they are not much at all... So they have to continue play "successful woman" because it helps them to feel better about themselves and many don't have a man.

I'm a Succesfful woman and I humble myself... I don't even mention finances, but when it comes to it... I have his back.:yawn:

^^^You said it 1aleesha.

A successful woman doesn't have to dumb down for a man. But when she's meeting a man for the first time and is going on a date, her job/career/schooling/achievements don't need to be the focus of the date. Sure, I will mention what I do for a living (hey, that's just basic info), but I want my date to get to know me for me... so I try to steer the conversation around my likes and dislikes (in a good way... as in, "I love it when it's 70 degrees and hate blizzards), interesting things I like to do for fun, etc., and ask him about himself as well.

If we end up together, we wouldn't be sitting at home all day talking about our jobs and educations anyway, right? :)

^^^You said it 1aleesha.

A successful woman doesn't have to dumb down for a man. But when she's meeting a man for the first time and is going on a date, her job/career/schooling/achievements don't need to be the focus of the date. Sure, I will mention what I do for a living (hey, that's just basic info), but I want my date to get to know me for me... so I try to steer the conversation around my likes and dislikes (in a good way... as in, "I love it when it's 70 degrees and hate blizzards), interesting things I like to do for fun, etc., and ask him about himself as well.

If we end up together, we wouldn't be sitting at home all day talking about our jobs and educations anyway, right? :)

Right on sista! :yep:

As women we are taught to be self sufficient because a man doesn't want a gold digger. I think it's important to get with a man that is confident in himself. If your lady is pushing a nicer ride or house than you than don't get intimidated by it.

As women we are taught to be self sufficient because a man doesn't want a gold digger.

Well, you know my thoughts about gold diggers. (And I'm glad that I wasn't taught the above!!!) :)

A: The word is overused, mostly by men who have no business using it because they barely have any gold to dig.
B: Women have fallen for the okey doke trying to prove they're not "gold-diggers," and then in doing so, refuse to make men prove themselves as potential providers.

Notice that these guys say that even if they don't make as much or aren't as successful, that they should still pay. And I say they're exactly right... we'll just do things on their budgets, but if they want to date, then they need to pay for things.

Yet, you have so many women who think that they should "help" on dates or pay half because they make more or because the economy is bad or because this is the 21st century and we're equal... yeah, and you see how that goes.

The gold-digger term isn't even in my vocabulary and I'm not trying to "prove" self-sufficiency to anyone. A man I'm dating will obviously know that I'm self-sufficient just by knowing the basics about my life, and that's all he needs to know.

(Again, I'm talking about the dating/courtship phase... I understand that things could happen in a marriage because of finances, etc.... as long as both parties are cool about that.)

Last edited:
Well, you know my thoughts about gold diggers. (And I'm glad that I wasn't taught the above!!!) :)

A: The word is overused, mostly by men who have no business using it because they barely have any gold to dig.
B: Women have fallen for the okey doke trying to prove they're not "gold-diggers," and then in doing so, refuse to make men prove themselves as potential providers.

Notice that these guys say that even if they don't make as much or aren't as successful, that they should still pay. And I say they're exactly right... we'll just do things on their budgets, but if they want to date, then they need to pay for things.

Yet, you have so many women who think that they should "help" on dates or pay half because they make more or because the economy is bad or because this is the 21st century and we're equal... yeah, and you see how that goes.

The gold-digger term isn't even in my vocabulary and I'm not trying to "prove" self-sufficiency to anyone. A man I'm dating will obviously know that I'm self-efficient just by knowing the basics about my life, and that's all he needs to know.

(Again, I'm talking about the dating/courtship phase... I understand that things could happen in a marriage because of finances, etc.... as long as both parties are cool about that.)

PREACH!!! One of my facebook friends recently posted some crap about taking dates to Taco Bell for dinner to test to see if she's a golddigger. I told that Negro that a real golddigger ain't even looking in his direction cause he doesn't make enough. He tried to come back with some lame line about there being all types of golddiggers and I don't know how much money he's sittin' on, and:blah:. I just sat there thinking, "You still don't have enough zeros to attract a golddigger."

Women need to stop falling for the okeydoke. If you know that I've got a job, my own house, and a car then you know I don't need your money. Now shut up and pay for Bennihana.

I agree with allowing a guy to pay for a dinner within his budget. One time a guy I was dating took me to noodles and company for a dinner. It was in his budget. As his funds became more plentiful he stepped it up to the japense steakhouse and other places.

PREACH!!! One of my facebook friends recently posted some crap about taking dates to Taco Bell for dinner to test to see if she's a golddigger. I told that Negro that a real golddigger ain't even looking in his direction cause he doesn't make enough. He tried to come back with some lame line about there being all types of golddiggers and I don't know how much money he's sittin' on, and:blah:. I just sat there thinking, "You still don't have enough zeros to attract a golddigger."

Women need to stop falling for the okeydoke. If you know that I've got a job, my own house, and a car then you know I don't need your money. Now shut up and pay for Bennihana.

Probably wants a slender, healthy woman and then expects her to shove some crappy tacos into her body and smile as she reaches for the Rolaids? Naw, son.:nono:

^^^You said it 1aleesha.

Very true. But its been my experience that some men are intimidated or make assumptions when they hear what your occupation is. For example, I'm a chemist, and I've had guys here me say that and immediately assume that I'm either too smart for them or I make more than them. I wish I could say its just me, but I've heard the same story from friends who are computer engineers pharmacists, doctors, etc. Its like you can't even mention what you do anymore without some men making assumptions about you.

Why does I guy who I am ,keyword, DATING need to know how much I make anyway? It's not his business. He can know that I am taking care of and once the point comes when he wants to wear the "take care of me hat", at that point he can have some details to some of my more personal information as we prepare for a united household. That(the issue of men feeling intimated by income professional success) can be avoided easily. Just don't bring work home and when you are home with your man (or spending time with him in general) the focus is on relaxing/spending time together.

That's what I'm saying, my husband doesn't even know what's in my bank account lol... He didn't know what my profession was after I started and I work right in our house lol...

Why does I guy who I am ,keyword, DATING need to know how much I make anyway? It's not his business. He can know that I am taking care of and once the point comes when he wants to wear the "take care of me hat", at that point he can have some details to some of my more personal information as we prepare for a united household. That(the issue of men feeling intimated by income professional success) can be avoided easily. Just don't bring work home and when you are home with your man (or spending time with him in general) the focus is on relaxing/spending time together.

I agree, its none of his business.

The problem is that some folks (both male and female) here a certain profession and assume how much that person is making.

I have a problem with the assumption, cause I dont like folks in my pockets like that. Why folks want to be worried about how much others are making is beyond me.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I agree with allowing a guy to pay for a dinner within his budget. One time a guy I was dating took me to noodles and company for a dinner. It was in his budget. As his funds became more plentiful he stepped it up to the japense steakhouse and other places.

Noodles and Company is the **** right there! :D

I love that place.

Very true. But its been my experience that some men are intimidated or make assumptions when they hear what your occupation is. For example, I'm a chemist, and I've had guys here me say that and immediately assume that I'm either too smart for them or I make more than them. I wish I could say its just me, but I've heard the same story from friends who are computer engineers pharmacists, doctors, etc. Its like you can't even mention what you do anymore without some men making assumptions about you.

Hmmm... I feel ya... and yeah, this situation is all too true sometimes.

Methinks you might need to go swimming in a pool of men with higher income brackets. :)

(Shoot, that's been my answer for this issue... it's working too. :look:)

Hmmm... I feel ya... and yeah, this situation is all too true sometimes.

Methinks you might need to go swimming in a pool of men with higher income brackets. :)

(Shoot, that's been my answer for this issue... it's working too. :look:)

I'm trying, but I think in order to do that effectively I need to move.

Where I live the local economy is dominated by the tourist industry, which keeps overall wages lower across the board. I need to be in a city who's economy revolved around technology or healthcare.

Ummm. :werd: :clap:

Guys trip me out acting like some chick is just in it for the free meal. Dude you're not pulling goldiggers, you don't have golddigger pull. Period. By the time you've had the chance to snag a date with ole girl, a real golddigger would have long weeded you out.

Thank you!!!

DH and I have a divorced, older male friend who does well but he is so cheap on dates. He has like 200 new suits and 40 pair of alligator shoes that he accumulated in the last 2 years. He tests women by seeing if they will buy him things. One woman that he has been dating off and on for YEARS (a doctor) actually bought him a suit. He was out of state shopping (without her since she was at work) and he cried broke. She gave the store clerk her credit card number over the phone!!!!!:wallbash:

I told him that once he finds a woman that he really likes (clearly not the doctor he strings along) that he will be spending every cent on her and he will be in old suits & shoes. He admitted that he does not have the same feelings for her as she does for him:perplexed

The gold-digger term isn't even in my vocabulary and I'm not trying to "prove" self-sufficiency to anyone. A man I'm dating will obviously know that I'm self-sufficient just by knowing the basics about my life, and that's all he needs to know.

I'm trying, but I think in order to do that effectively I need to move.

Where I live the local economy is dominated by the tourist industry, which keeps overall wages lower across the board. I need to be in a city who's economy revolved around technology or healthcare.

Girl, I KNOW. :) I lived in Altamonte Springs for four years and spent my early-mid 20s in O-Town... when I did meet young professionals, they usually moved pretty quickly to other cities (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston) and the folks who remained were service workers.

That's one big reason I left, even though I really liked living in Orlando otherwise. Oh well.

I love it! And like you said, a real goldigger with actual skill who knows what she's doing KNOWS how to find the rich men who will spend money on her... and they will do it gladly too!

When I hear an average salaried man talking about golddiggers, it usually tells me that he's dealt with a few too many chickenhead types that aren't real golddiggers that know what they're doing... you know, they're the ones who think that rich men are only athletes and industry folks... or they'll see a dude with an Escalade and start sweating him (when he's probably leasing and has -$1000000 in the bank, lol).

But see, too many men are physically attracted to this type of woman because she usually looks pretty good when they meet her... so then she'll do that chickenhead type of golddigging by going out on a date and ordering the most expensive stuff on the menu just because and then asking how much ole' boy makes.

However, if these men were actually looking for women of substance, they'd avoid the chickenhead golddigger altogether... but no... and now they think that all women want their money and start trying to "test" them by taking them to Taco Bell or expecting to go dutch on the first date. If I meet a dude like that, all it tells me is that he's wasted his time and been burned by one too many chickenheads, which then makes me question HIS judgment... I'm not about to accept the Taco Bell date to prove I'm not a golddigger/chickenhead type... that's his problem if he's run into too many of those types.

Sorry, I got off on a rant there... but ya'll feel me, right? :)

Ummm. :werd: :clap:

Guys trip me out acting like some chick is just in it for the free meal. Dude you're not pulling goldiggers, you don't have golddigger pull. Period. By the time you've had the chance to snag a date with ole girl, a real golddigger would have long weeded you out.

Yeah, just what you said. :)

I've been to nice restaurants before and will go in the future (through work, through family, through dates). I'm not going out with you for the sole purpose of getting an expensive meal, and if you're the type that thinks that's all women want, then you're the one with issues and I need to leave you well enough alone! :)

Thank you!!!

DH and I have a divorced, older male friend who does well but he is so cheap on dates. He has like 200 new suits and 40 pair of alligator shoes that he accumulated in the last 2 years. He tests women by seeing if they will buy him things. One woman that he has been dating off and on for YEARS (a doctor) actually bought him a suit. He was out of state shopping (without her since she was at work) and he cried broke. She gave the store clerk her credit card number over the phone!!!!!:wallbash:

I told him that once he finds a woman that he really likes (clearly not the doctor he strings along) that he will be spending every cent on her and he will be in old suits & shoes. He admitted that he does not have the same feelings for her as she does for him:perplexed

See! Women need to quit! We're just making ourselves look bad and desperate!

Last edited:
Back