Are you guilty of being a over moisturizer?

Lilmama1011

I believe I am, I feel the need to do it because I have a "OCD" about having dry hair and it breaking off because it's not moisturized, but I also want my hair to be light and fluffy and you can't have that if your hair has a lot of product build up! I wash every week now but use to wash every two but I went to every week because I moisturize too much, my question to you ladies/men, do I moisturize too much? I moisturize with the perfect for perms and seal with my mixture of jojoba oil & coconut oil before I go to bed and when I wake up I moisturize again and I do this for seven days so I moisturize twice daily for seven days. And it's obvious when I first get it washed it looks thicker and day by day it get paper thin because of the moisturizing, does anyone think this is too much or this is perfectly fine being that I wash every week? How often do you moisturize? I had someone tell me serum is just enough or just a little oil and your good.....

I think you need to throw water in the mix for it to be over moisturization. Thats where you primarily get your moisture. I'm not sure what Perfect Perm is, but its most likely just coating your hair; when your continue to add coatings or layers, you prevent moisture from getting in (to the contrary of over moisture) and that may be what is happening.

Last edited:
If you have to moisturize twice a day for seven days then you have other problems you should address. If you're just doing it by choice then yes, it might be a bit much.

The one thing I have no problem doing is retaining moisture.
Use a good quality deep moisturizing conditioner at least once a month, with heat or steam. Use good quality moisturizing instant conditioners the rest of the time. Use Porosity Control to seal the cuticle each time you wet your hair (wash or cowash).
I only use creamy moisturizer all over once a week, that's on wash day. I apply it to my soaking wet hair. After I air or blowdry I seal with grape seed oil.
During the week I have a spray bottle with water and grape seed oil that I spritz (lightly) with once a day. I do moisturize my ends nightly with mango butter, but that's just the last half inch of hair.
I keep it simple with this routine and I don't have issues with dry hair. My issue is actually remembering to cycle in some protein to avoid my hair being too soft.
So I recommend that you scale back, keep it simple, and use good quality products.
HTH!

Last edited:
If you have to moisturize twice a day for seven days then you have other problems you should address. If you're just doing it by choice then yes, it might be a bit much.

The one thing I have no problem doing is retaining moisture.
Use a good quality deep moisturizing conditioner at least once a month, with heat or steam. Use good quality moisturizing instant conditioners the rest of the time. Use Porosity Control to seal the cuticle each time you wet your hair (wash or cowash).
I only use creamy moisturizer all over once a week, that's on wash day. I apply it to my soaking wet hair. After I air or blowdry I seal with grape seed oil.
During the week I have a spray bottle with water and grape seed oil that I spritz (lightly) with once a day. I do moisturize my ends nightly with mango butter, but that's just the last half inch of hair.
I keep it simple with this routine and I don't have issues with dry hair. My issue is actually remembering to cycle in some protein to avoid my hair being too soft.
So I recommend that you scale back, keep it simple, and use good quality products.
HTH!

I agree. Quality products. Some conditioners contain alcohol, which would dry out the hair once dried

I'm guilty of severely under moisturizing, in fact I just don't do it. I been trying too get back in to the habit. I just remember well over a year ago back when I was relax and the terrifying balls of breakage I would get from simply moisturizing and the cash I spend trying to find something that felt right in my hair.

You should try do an experiment and cut back for a week or two and find out how long your hair can go before it needs to be more moisturize. Like try to moisturize just once a day or every other.. then you'll see how much moisture your hair truly needs.

31jpfgx0pbl__sl500_aa300_.jpg

Product Ingredients
Mineral Oil, Water, Petroleum, Oleth-2, Fragrance, Protein Propylparaben.

If this is the product you are talking about, I say ditch it. If you are having to put it in your hair 2 times a day, it is not benefiting/doing anything for you and from what you are saying it is "gunking" up your hair. It also looks to me that you are blocking moisture out by using this product and sealing your hair with 2 different oils, 2 times a day, every day.

I'm a supporter of using a conditioner that you love mixed with an oil(s) you love on wet hair then on subsequent days moisturizing with the same items mixed with water in a spray bottle. I love the feel of water on my hair and tend to be a daily rinser and moisturizer or I at least wet my hair daily with my spray bottle mixture; but I have discover (when I am not in the mood or being lazy) that my hair stays soft without it.

I have been primarily moisturizing twice a day (before bed and in the morning) since the beginning of my journey (almost 3 years now). Sometimes, it's M&Sing at night and cowashing in the morning or vice versa. Mostly it's just me M&Sing both times.

I usually rub in a little Infusium 23 every now and then to avoid moisture overload. But overall, I think my hair loves moisture. I also do a light protein tx with every weekly wash so I think that helps. I'm more afraid of protein overload than I am of moisture overload. IMO, it would be easier for me to fix moisture overload.

Lilmama-
if it works for you, keep doing it! If I listened to everyone, I would also be pre-pooing, steaming, shingling and everything else. The best place to check in and see if what you're doing is right is with your own hair.

GL! :D

Lilmama-
if it works for you, keep doing it! If I listened to everyone, I would also be pre-pooing, steaming, shingling and everything else. The best place to check in and see if what you're doing is right is with your own hair.

"And it's obvious when I first get it washed it looks thicker and day by day it get paper thin because of the moisturizing"

From what I am reading, she is saying that it isn't working for her.

^^^ Thanks lovegymnasts

I just figured that was natural as hair tends to look differently when freshly washed than it does a few days after wash -- even without product. I didn't equate that to product use.

*C00KIE* said:
I agree. Quality products. Some conditioners contain alcohol, which would dry out the hair once dried

I'm product conscience, none have alcohol and the only thing with razac perfect for perms is that it has mineral oil in it but I abandoned it for something that didn't and it didn't workout for me, my hair didn't feel as moisturized so I went back to using it, a couple of girls on here said as well sometimes products we red flag actually still work for us

20Something said:
I'm guilty of severely under moisturizing, in fact I just don't do it. I been trying too get back in to the habit. I just remember well over a year ago back when I was relax and the terrifying balls of breakage I would get from simply moisturizing and the cash I spend trying to find something that felt right in my hair.

You should try do an experiment and cut back for a week or two and find out how long your hair can go before it needs to be more moisturize. Like try to moisturize just once a day or every other.. then you'll see how much moisture your hair truly needs.

That's what I'm trying this week, I don't think i can do it and so does my SO, we joke that I have OCD about moisturizing lol. But do far since I got my hair done yesterday I put my mix in my hair of coconut oil and jojoba oil and am little perfect for perms because it gives me a excellent shine. And when I take it down after I shower and go to work will just add my mix and I'm out the door, hopefully.....

lovegymnasts said:
Product Ingredients
Mineral Oil, Water, Petroleum, Oleth-2, Fragrance, Protein Propylparaben.

If this is the product you are talking about, I say ditch it. If you are having to put it in your hair 2 times a day, it is not benefiting/doing anything for you and from what you are saying it is "gunking" up your hair. It also looks to me that you are blocking moisture out by using this product and sealing your hair with 2 different oils, 2 times a day, every day.

I'm a supporter of using a conditioner that you love mixed with an oil(s) you love on wet hair then on subsequent days moisturizing with the same items mixed with water in a spray bottle. I love the feel of water on my hair and tend to be a daily rinser and moisturizer or I at least wet my hair daily with my spray bottle mixture; but I have discover (when I am not in the mood or being lazy) that my hair stays soft without it.

I love the shine it gives me, i see the mineral oil and petroleum but it works for me, I'm just going to limit the use to once a week and only use oil to moisturize everyday once a week because my hair gets dry out the week no matter what and I have colored relaxed hair so....

MzSwift said:
I have been primarily moisturizing twice a day (before bed and in the morning) since the beginning of my journey (almost 3 years now). Sometimes, it's M&Sing at night and cowashing in the morning or vice versa. Mostly it's just me M&Sing both times.

I usually rub in a little Infusium 23 every now and then to avoid moisture overload. But overall, I think my hair loves moisture. I also do a light protein tx with every weekly wash so I think that helps. I'm more afraid of protein overload than I am of moisture overload. IMO, it would be easier for me to fix moisture overload.

Lilmama-

Yeah because pre pooing actually takes out my hair, I tried once and I said never again

MzSwift said:
^^^ Thanks lovegymnasts

I just figured that was natural as hair tends to look differently when freshly washed than it does a few days after wash -- even without product. I didn't equate that to product use.

Yeah, but to go from full hair to paper thin hair in a week is crazy, I had forgot what my hair look like thick

water based moisturizing doesn't necessarily work for everyone. especially if you're trying to maintain a straight style or something like a braidout.
how do you wear your hair OP?
I'd say once a day is enough. however, I have found that if i DC properly, i don't really need to moisturize more than once during the week, and that's only the ends.

Rocky91 said:
water based moisturizing doesn't necessarily work for everyone. especially if you're trying to maintain a straight style or something like a braidout.
how do you wear your hair OP?
I'd say once a day is enough. however, I have found that if i DC properly, i don't really need to moisturize more than once during the week, and that's only the ends.

I wear it straight

I've learned what works for me is daily light moisturizing. I use conditioner, water, oil mixture daily and seal with castor oil or a butter. I used to use a heavy leave in like ORS olive oil moisturizer and it wasn't nearly as moisturizing because of some of the ingredients were coating my hair. I know we all have different hair so for the product your using Lilmama1101, my hair would suffocate but your hair may flourish.

Back