Are oils and protien needed?

Roselyn

wink.gif
I'm just beginning to become "aware" of my hair's health and needs (Plus I've been spending a bundle at the salon and not achieving length. My hair touches my shoulder, but never any longer than that). I read in "Ultra black hair growth 2000" that protien in the hair is essential to succeeding healthy hair and length. So, is protien in the oils (hot oils)? I know that they moisturize, but do they strengthen hair too? What would be a good brand to use? What would be best for hair. Any idea for a new comer?

You only need additional protein if your protein bonds have been rearranged via a relaxer or a texturizer. Or if your natural hair is breaking. Other than that, there is no need for a protein treatment.

There is no protein in hot oils. The protein can be found in a conditioner. Cathy Howse, author of UBH, only recommends her own protein conditioner but there are plenty of good ones out there. A recipe for her protein conditioner was apparently included in the first edition of her book and that recipe is on here on the Hair Recipe Board. It's basically a regular protein conditioner like Mane&Tail, Ion reconstructor, Fiberguard reconstructor mixed with olive oil, peppermint oil and coconut oil. I can't remember off the top of my head. I have made that mixture and it is a wonderful mixture.

If your hair is touching your shoulder, you may have trouble keeping your length because the hair ends are touching the shoulder and maybe breaking off. I suggest wearing your hair up until it's past shoulder length so as to preserve the ends. After that, I don't think you'll have too many problems with breakage because the ends won't really be touching anything. It will just be the inside back of the strands (if that makes any sense).

Alternate a protein conditioner into your regimen every other week. For instance, week 1 do a deep protein conditioner. Week 2, do a deep moisturizing conditioner. And so forth.

For the homeade protein conditioner, I have used the Ion reconstructor. I have also just used the reconstructor by itself for my protein conditioner. Now I have the Fiberguard reconstructor which I plan to use for the next batch.

HTH. (Hope that helps).

Proteins are not generally found in hot oils. They are more common in conditioners, deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners.

While protein is good for hair health, you have to be aware of which protein is best for your hair and how often you should use it. If you are new to protein, strait with a vegetable protein first, as this kind is more moisturizing to the hair than animal protein. An example of a vegetable protein is wheatgerm; an example of animal protein is milk protein.

To start, try a good deep conditioner that has protein such as Salerm Wheatgerm Oil hair Mask (Salerm Mascarilla Capilar) found at www.metrobeauty.com

Proteins strengthen the hair and keep it from breaking. However, too much protein will do just the opposite.

It's best to start out using protein treatments once every 2-4 weeks. You may need to increase or decrease the amount depending on your hair.

As to oils, they moisturize the hair, make it lustrous and silky and supple, and add shine. However, oils aren't for everyone's hair. It's best to start out with inexpensive hot oil treatments found at the counter in beauty supply stores if you've never tried them before.

There are many ways of using oils. You can oil your hair 10 minutes to an hour before you wash your hair. Or you can oil your hair at night and wash it out in the morning. Or, after you've washed your hair, you can add a small amount of oil to your hair in place of a leave-in conditioner or to supplement one.

Here is a small list of some of the many oils you can choose to add to your regimen:

Amla oil: Adds strength and shine, used over time it promotes healthy, lustrous, supple hair with body and bounce.

Meadowfoam oil: Superior moisturizing properties, adds shine and bounce to hair.

Olive oil: Moisturizing, promotes shiny hair, combats split ends.

Castor oil: Promotes healthy hair

Monoi oil: Bouncy, shiny, moisturized hair

Some beauty supply stores sell it. They are usually next to or behind the counter next to other salon products like BioKera, KeraCare, Matrix, Sebastian, etc.

Back