Aphogee 2-min Mixed into (Vitale No-Lye Sensitive Scalp) Relaxer

Honey Bee

I rarely start threads, but I felt I had to.

I've been texlaxing since August, but we've been purposefully under-processing it, so by this week, I had around 4-5" hair that was in various states of texlax. On top of that, it's been about 8 weeks since my last texlax. So, we decided to try again.

I did some thinking, and figured out why it wasn't 'taking'. I was protecting my hair with products before the perm AND not leaving it in as long. Both, I don't believe, are necessary.

Working under that hypothesis, on Thursday, getting ready for the process, I did my usual pre-stuff: a light spray of Chi keratin mist (to differentiate the straight from the non-straight, and to add a layer of keratin for protection), Chi silk infusion (silk and another layer of protection), and neutralizer on the straight ends.

At this point, in coming up with a plan of action, I decided to leave it on the full time, but to dilute it... but with what? As I'm wracking my brain, my eyes fall upon the bottle of Aphogee 2 step in my bathroom. My mom/ stylist, lol, was getting irritated by the delay, so I just grabbed it. I didn't put that much, maybe like, 3-4 globs (once you take the cap off).

[Rest of process, if you care: left on full time, 10 m, rinsed, roux'd, neutralized, used the protein cond that came with the perm, dc'd with alter ego garlic and 10 en 1 with no heat]

It came out FABULOUSLY! I had to go to sleep soon after, so I didn't set it or anything. I just made two pigtails, braided them, and put my scarf on. I brushed down the edges, but used a comb on the rest. No leave in, because it felt so different, I was curious to see what happened.

The next day, when I took the braids out, it felt so light and airy that I thought a dry set might work well, and it did. I looked like I had gone to the Dominicans! :lachen:

Shine, swing, strength, all that. I put on a little Chi serum, and went out (a cocktail party at Le Cirque). Believe me when I tell you, out of all the black girls in the room (mostly weaves, 2 natural buns that looked... uninspired), my hair was the best, and that NEVER happens to me, not with my fine fly-away hair.

So, yay!

I'm going out now, so I won't be replying right away, but I'll check back later on tonight. I just wanted to get this on record. Oh, and I'll add some pics, too. :)

eta: pics! Mind you, this is after two nights of drinking and one night without my scarf. After that set-up, here we go...

My roots, after the scarf method
DSC00313.jpg
(forgive the weird sizing of the pic, but it failed a few times, and I had to try some tricks)

For comparison purposes, I'm gonna post my flat-iron pic from January

DSC00307.jpg

and then my hair tonight...
DSC00317.jpg
(I don't know how to illustrate 'swang', especially since, as I said before, my family "ain't taking no more pictures". Apparently, they've gone on strike :rolleyes:)

And in a ponytail, cuz you know how your hair 'falls' after a Dominican blow-out? ok...
DSC00319.jpg

All in all, good texlax. I'll take pics on my next wash day so I can show how the roots really look, lol. ;)

Last edited:
hmm i might have to try that... do you think it wouldnt work on lye relaxer??? anyway im looking forward to seeing your pictures!!

hmm i might have to try that... do you think it wouldnt work on lye relaxer??? anyway im looking forward to seeing your pictures!!
I don't know why it wouldn't, since the principal is the same, but ladies who texlax with lye would know more than I do. The idea of diluting a perm to texlax is pretty standard, and people use a lot of different kinds of conditioners and oils, but I thought the Aphogee 2 min would be interesting because it contains hydrolyzed keratin (hydrolyzed= can get into the shaft, keratin= the building block of hair that we erode with chemicals).

So, the way I described it to my bf :) is that, it's like walking in on an open heart surgery (the way the perm basically rips your strand open to break the disulfate (?) bonds), actually reaching inside the body, and adding something useful, I don't know, like some shiny new heart valves or something. :lachen:

Interesting :scratchch Might try that. Your hair looks nice esp in the updo.

Thank you so much! I usually wear it up anyway, cuz my ends are like :nono:, or they were. Now, I'm trimming every 4-5 wks and I'm really seeing a lot of improvement. I feel some kinda way about posting pics because every body here has such beautiful, drool-worthy, hair mag hair and mine's struggling :ohwell:, but it started out way worse, so I feel like I'm making big moves in a short amount of time.

Oh, and tomorrow's wash day, so I may post pics of it airdried without using the scarf, so people can see how the roots came out. It was pretty. :)

Back