Anyone use direct heat once or twice a week and have LONG hair APL or beyond?

Very soon, Im going to have a change of lifestyle in which Ill feel required to have my hair look presentable and it doesnt really look presentable in its curly state lol, its just too insanley bulky, shapless ,HUGE and frizzy and insane unless i load it with gel which isnt presentable lol,,, Im going to have to be straightening it often , at least once, maybe twice a week,, just wondering if this is going to throughly ruin my hair:( lol,, I use a Sedu to flat iron,,, any ladies with long hair use direct heat weekly? Im natural BTW

Weekly probably wont do much damage if you really condition, but twice may be taking it abit too far. I'm sure if you got your curls shaped and found a frizz controlling product, your curls would look just as good as the straight look. But I do remember passing a PinkSkates profile and I believe she straightens weekly, if I'm not mistakened.

Try roller setting instead and a bonnet dryer. I'm natural with the same hair type as you and get very good results using this method.

iuse a flat iron once a week with no downside but i co wash every wednsday and shampoo and deep condition every sunday. my haie is apl.

I was quickly well on my way to APL before my stylist CUT my hair... :rolleyes: I AM getting over it, the wound is still fresh though lol.

I at different times have went back and forth between airdry/flat iron 1-2x a week. My hair was just fine and in fact right now my hair is the healthiest it's ever been in my life.... I have up until recently been doing a Cathy Howse type of regimen where I would wash/dc 2x a week followed by flat-ironing on a low heat. I would allow my hair to dry straight under my hooded dryer. Then it broke:wallbash:, so I had to invest in a REALLY GOOD blow dryer (Ionic/Tourmaline with heat settings) and would dry with a hooded soft bonnet attachment with my hair hanging loose, and then continue to dry straight with a wide toothed comb and the dryer on a low speed/warm setting when it was about 80% dry. I then would flat iron on low in VERY SMALL sections with a heat protectant (Chi Silk Infusion). Before even drying I ALWAYS use leave-in conditioner (Salerm 21 and Sebastian Potion 9) followed by a heat serum. So my hair had a lot of extra protection. For upkeep I'd cross wrap, or pin curl, or just sleep with a bonnet on and caruso roll my hair in the morning.

I didn't see any ill effects but again I condition my hair like CRAZY, and I found really great conditioners for my DC's that have literally changed the life of my hair. I however have chosen to NOT do this any longer because I feel like my hair is too fine to flat iron 2x a week and down the line problems MAY occur. So instead now I've gone back to roller setting/saran wrapping instead and my hair is much happier. If I choose to flat iron, then I limit it to 2x a month. If you're going to use heat 2x a week I really recommend that you step up your hardcore protein treatments followed by an intense moisture DC 2x a month, and then the rest of your reggie should focus on moisture. Every time you wash you NEED to DC if you're going to increase your heat usage or else your hair will just start to break if it's relaxed particularly...

I'm in a very image conscious industry too and conforming is unfortunately a lot of the game I have to play to keep working. But it's really important for you to find what ways will help you to do that and keep your hair on your head, lol. Why don't you try flat ironing 1x a week and then roller set/saran wrap 1x a week. It will be a lot healthier.:yep:

Back