Anybody Do Their Own Kinky Twists?

Sincerely_Ciara

I am thinking about getting kinky twists for this summer and I don't wanna pay the price for them. I am good with doing my own hair so I decided to do it myself. I had them last summer and I watched the girl that did them so I could have an idea. She used marley hair and I noticed that she braids at the base and then twist the rest. When she was finished I noticed she took a lighter and burned the twists from top to bottom, I thought she was burning my hair. I wonder how she do that without burning my hair?? I noticed that the results were better when she did that. For the ladies that do their own or know how their done, please help a sista out cuz I don't wanna burn my hair up. lol.

P.S. I can't think of the hair board but their's some other board where they have a section especially for twists, so if you know the site lemme kno, puhlease.

Thanks, CC

I do my own twists---but i don't burn them at all

Especially from top to bottom :eek: If she was actually going up the entire length of the twists---she WAS burning your hair too.

I use Marley hair too. This may sound weird---but b/c fake hair is drying for me---I put grease/shea on the weave and then aloe vera gel to 'keep' the twists in place and keep the ends together and looking nice.

I just let my twists tapper to a natural looking end.

hth http://public.fotki.com/ayoung/first_cg_braids/

Thanks Andrea, you were very helpful!
Believe it or not, when I took my hair down it looked fine. It actually made my twists last longer and look less bulky. I still wonder how she did it without burning my hair....

I think you should be fine. When I used to get synthetic braids my braider would just quickly run a lighter along the braid to seal it.

I didn't burn mine. I used a really good brand (I will look it up for you) and just twisted to the ends, rolled them and dipped them in hot water. I have had mine since Nov 1 and am about to take them out now. Every 2 weeks I would retwist any extreme new growth and the edges. I have about 3 inches of new growth total. Q

How long does it take you to do the twists? How did you learn? I've been thinking about getting the braids by breslin DVD.

I haven't done my own but when my cousin does them, she dips them in boiling water with rollers. They curl right up, I have pics in my fotki of both sets of twists. The first set is in the 2005 folder I believe.

What kind of hair did she use? Ur twists look very good. Did you remember her using anything to secure the twists? Besides curling the ends?

She just curled the ends. I think I put the type of hair I used in my fotki too, off hand I think it was the Nina brand. Hold on let me check...

I've done my own..I don't burn anything but I do twist all the way to the ends and curl them the same way someone else mentioned {roll the ends with perm rods and curl with hot, boiling water}.I can't remember the brand I used though.

I just did mine. I cornrowed my hair back in twelve rows and hooked mine. It worked great. I strawset it and girls it is on :D . I did not want to have my hair twisted in with the fake hair. I like that I can get to my hair without worrying about individual twists. I also have heard horror stories about twists so I was scared.:eek: But I am loving this style. I get soo many compliments. I did it myself so it did not cost me a penny. Just the hair. Next time I think I am going to buy the already twisted hair and do the same thing. Kinda lazy I will just have to hook and strawset the ends--no twisting...:cool:

Back