ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR 1ST TIME BIOTIN USER???

Wolftrap

I want to start taking some additional biotin. I take GNC Ultranourishair and it has 1200 MCG's of biotin. What is a good amount to start out with to add to the amount that is already in my vitamins?

My limit is 5 MG. You're already taking about a fifth of that so maybe you should start off with 2MG, then add another 500 to 1000 MCGs each month until you work your way up to 5.

Also drink at least 64 oz of water each day...no exceptions.

Wow, your hair vitamin already has over 1mg of biotin! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif If you've been taking that hair vitamin consistently for over a week w/o any negative side effects, I would supplement 1mg (equal to 1000 mcg) of biotin for 1 week and increase gradually per week an additional mg until you are eventually taking your desired amount. Also, be sure to increase your water intake! HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I take 5mg.....as I type I'm getting my hair rolled at a dominican salon. On her table is a bottle of puritans biotin... Good stuff /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, your hair vitamin already has over 1mg of biotin! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif If you've been taking that hair vitamin consistently for over a week w/o any negative side effects, I would supplement 1mg (equal to 1000 mcg) of biotin for 1 week and increase gradually per week an additional mg until you are eventually taking your desired amount. Also, be sure to increase your water intake! HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ok so 1mg=1,000mcgs? that always confused me. So maybe I think I will add 2 more milligrams and see how that works.

How long did it take some of you to see results from taking Biotin?

Another thing...Your body will let you know when it's time to increase or decrease. If you feel that the biotin is giving you negative side effects, then simply decrease the biotin and increase the water. If no side effects, then increase slowly until you find the amount you're comfortable with.

How long before I saw results? I'm not exactly sure. I just know the new growth came and it came quickly! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Also, it came in coarser and thicker....so, personally, I prefer taking MSM along w. the biotin to help keep my texture manageable when I'm stretching my relaxers. Okay, I'll stop rambling now.... /images/graemlins/look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing...Your body will let you know when it's time to increase or decrease.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would your body let you know? What are negative side affects? I've heard of people breaking out on their face...but other than that? I currently take 2500mcg of GNC's brand of Biotin and when this runs out I want to up it a notch.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing...Your body will let you know when it's time to increase or decrease.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would your body let you know? What are negative side affects? I've heard of people breaking out on their face...but other than that? I currently take 2500mcg of GNC's brand of Biotin and when this runs out I want to up it a notch.

[/ QUOTE ]
breakouts (not just on the face but sometimes other parts of the body as well), headaches, dizziness,...etc. All bodies react differently but overall, if it is making you sick physically, then it's time to decrease.

1200mcgs is plenty. The body only needs about 60mcgs a day.. I take 600mcgs a day and I get plenty of growth with just that. I dont think the whole 3,4,5mgs and above is necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
1200mcgs is plenty. The body only needs about 60mcgs a day.. I take 600mcgs a day and I get plenty of growth with just that. I dont think the whole 3,4,5mgs and above is necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I am taking 1000mcg a day and have seen good results. But to each her own... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was gonna say cos I just bought 1,000 mg and it says that is 333% of the RDA.
I guess it all depends on what the individual body can tolerate.

Great im glad this topic was made I started taking my biotin this week....My mom was going to get me the 5MG but obted to get the 1000mcgs instead...she told me to take two a day she used to take them for her hair as well!!

I havent had any side effects but I think i will stay at 2mgs for a while and than up it if needed...

I dont drink that much water so maybe i should!

Back