Any self braiders out there?

glamazon386

How long does it usually take to do your whole head? What type of braids do you usually put in and what type of hair do you use? Anybody have any tutorials in their fotkis? I know how to braid the extension hair in but I'm not sure how to do the parting and how much hair to grab. TIA...

Thanks but It wont let me see it. :( It says they've reached their gigabyte transfer limit for the month or something.

bmoreflyygirl said:
How long does it usually take to do your whole head? What type of braids do you usually put in and what type of hair do you use? Anybody have any tutorials in their fotkis? I know how to braid the extension hair in but I'm not sure how to do the parting and how much hair to grab. TIA...

Hey Bmore, I am a self braider, and i have braiding for 15 yrs more or less, since i was a kid..I am actually braiding my hair as we speak..i always do box braids(singles) ...i dont have a tutorial tho, just pics in my album of some synthtic box braids that i did..it usually takes me about 1-2 days to do, but thats b/c i bull crap around , talk on the phone, get on the computer ect....
u grab the amount according to the sizeu want..they dont have to be uniformed parts...in fact i dont even use a comb or a mirror when i braid...i just feel the amount of hair that i want the braid to be......lemme know how it turns out..

asummertyme said:
Hey Bmore, I am a self braider, and i have braiding for 15 yrs more or less, since i was a kid..I am actually braiding my hair as we speak..i always do box braids(singles) ...i dont have a tutorial tho, just pics in my album of some synthtic box braids that i did..it usually takes me about 1-2 days to do, but thats b/c i bull crap around , talk on the phone, get on the computer ect....
u grab the amount according to the sizeu want..they dont have to be uniformed parts...in fact i dont even use a comb or a mirror when i braid...i just feel the amount of hair that i want the braid to be......lemme know how it turns out..

what type of hair you used for those braids on your album? I do box braids also but mines are like 3 times bigger than yours. I don't have the patience to do them that small. It takes me 5 to 6 hours. I can't remember the brand I use I think it is "braids too".

Keen said:
what type of hair you used for those braids on your album? I do box braids also but mines are like 3 times bigger than yours. I don't have the patience to do them that small. It takes me 5 to 6 hours. I can't remember the brand I use I think it is "braids too".

that particular one is synthetic hair..yeah its tedious(sp), but i am used to it...and i leave them in for a while..i get alotta growth fron these braids..

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks but It wont let me see it. :( It says they've reached their gigabyte transfer limit for the month or something.

Did you try to go to the Crown and Glory site again? I think it's working now. I just finished braiding my own hair YAY. I was only able to do a few hrs a day so it took me about 5 days :eek: ( I know), but it was worth it. I did the braids as she suggested in the tutorial using kanekalon hair. I put one mirror in front of me and one behind and I made them a little too long but I am getting used to it (they are about as long as Robin's braids). I am really happy I did it myself because people braid your hair so tight, I did not want headaches, bumps and breaking hair. HTH

I self-braid. I don't worry about the parts as much until I get to the front. In the lhcf gallery I have some pics of some individuals on my own hair that I did. This is usually the way I part when adding hair for braids too.

I usually do two-strand extensions because they're easier to take out. If I'm doing box braids, I like to braid them all the way to the end, but that's so tiring.

I find that using those big clips (flat or claw) to hold your hair back saves a lot of time and aggravation. I start in the back of course. Part an area across as neat as I'm patient and then just grab by feel in that row. Then on to the next row. You get a feel for it and a rhythm and just know how to make it uniform by touch without being too meticulous. When I braid other folks though, I make their parts precise. On me, I don't care.

If you oil your scalp really with warm oil after you finish (it can be as simple as olive oil) you can ward off most if not all of the itchies. Plus, it lubes the scalp and base of the braids and makes it easier to manipulate them almost immediately. I find that even if you don't braid tight, braid extensions by nature just feel a bit that way.

Anyway, it takes me about 4-5 hours to do twist extensions (I've got a pic in the lhcf gallery) and 5-6 on individuals with loose hair. Longer when I braid to the end. Which I might tackle this weekend...

p1

I'm usually too lazy to do my own but I just did some kinky braids. I have pictures in my fotki album. They didn't look quite as good as I wanted but I'm rocking them nonetheless. It took me a long time but I was taking frequent breaks and generally taking my sweet time.

I braid on my own. It will take me about 6 to 8 hours. Depending on my kids. I use the toykolan I hope I spelled that right. But its wavey

This is a great thread....you ladies that self braid, I have a few questions....

How do you keep your natural hairs from poking out of the braids?

Do you use a protein spray (Infusion 23)?

What kind of braid spray is best & how often should it be applied?

Also, do you remove the alkaline from the kanekelon hair prior to braiding, if you fail to remove the alkaline, what will happen?

I'm really interested in doin my own cornrows but I'm not sure how to make the parts?

Thanks in advance.

I used to self braid, now I just don't wear braids anymore (arthritis and carpal tunnel put an end to that).
It normally took 17-20 hours to do mine it sounds like a log time, but when I used to hire people to do it, it took them longer. I figured screw that I can do it better and faster.
My braids were human hair, several colors blended, small and long.

This is a great thread....you ladies that self braid, I have a few questions....

I dont, when they peek out wich is usually after wash, i just touch up that braid if i think it looks bad or messy..

Do you use a protein spray (Infusion 23)? I use moisturizing infusium mixed with better braids spray.

What kind of braid spray is best & how often should it be applied? i sparay with that mixture maybe every other day..

Also, do you remove the alkaline from the kanekelon hair prior to braiding, if you fail to remove the alkaline, what will happen? I have never removed any alkiline form my synth. hair..i have never had any ill effcts b/c i havent, but i hear its a very good thing to do..

I'm really interested in doin my own cornrows but I'm not sure how to make the parts? me either..thats the only braids i cannot or havent ever tried..unless its under my weave...

Thanks in advance

I've been self braiding for about 12 yrs or something like that (started at 15 yrs old). Sometimes it takes me a whole weekend to finish when it should really take only 8hrs. That's only because, I take a million breaks in between. Once you get used to doing them you'll only need a mirror for the front as for the rest you'll just get the feel for it. I saw an instuctional braiding video on youtube the other day. I don't use the same technique but it's pretty good though. I'll go find it and post the link for you.

Here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VVYqtegp_Qc -Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QR28jry8kPA -Part 2

Last edited:
I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THAT..LOL
thats a good video..i just dont use the gel, but its a very good tutorial..i sent it to my sister..

Last edited:
msshic said:

I braid a bit tighter or closer over that portion (where your hair ends and all extension begins). I have natural hair and I have to extra care to bind it in. I do the same when I braid up my clients hair. I prefer that to clipping it off (which is what some pros did to me and do in general)
Do you use a protein spray (Infusion 23)?

I have some infusium and I put a bit of it into the mix but I'm not religious about that.
What kind of braid spray is best & how often should it be applied?
I like to mix so who knows what's really in my bottle but I favor Daily Doctor (it's like a more natural scurl). I dilute it by half with filtered or distilled water and add some rosemary/peppermint/eucalyptus/ginger essential oils and whatever other crap is lying around.

Also, do you remove the alkaline from the kanekelon hair prior to braiding, if you fail to remove the alkaline, what will happen?

I don't do that so I don't know what the consequences are.

I'm really interested in doin my own cornrows but I'm not sure how to make the parts?

Carefully. LOL! Just kidding. Use the mirror trick. I get it right in the front and then do it by feel in the back. I look in the mirror and if its close enough I just go for it. I save my precision for the heads of others.

Thanks in advance.

I will say this, I've never experienced the kind of buildup that she shows *shudder* on her site and I do oil my scalp almost daily with a blend or wgo. I'm also not scientific about spraying lightly here and heavier there. I wash my hair when I feel up to it and focus on not braiding to tightly at the scalp or pulling my hair tightly into styles. Done correctly, braids are a nice respite for your own tresses. Installed poorly, undermoisturized, etc. and the opposite will result. For cornrows, I highly suggest you integrate the extension hair into the braids. In other words, start braiding your own hair for at least a length equal to two-thirds of your pinky and THEN integrate the hair. Be careful of the amount of tension you put on your edges.

Good luck!
p1

That was regular protein gel wasn't it. And what was it for again?

p1

to help keep the braid in i think she said...i wouldnt go there..i usually just make sure my hair is moisturised, but no brn gel...

The worst thing about brown gel is when moisturizer reactivates it. HA!! Now, privately, I always keep some around. I have a superstition about the stuff. Anyways, the other day I pulled it out for no particular reason and used it on dry hair to make the CUTEST two-strands. I was getting compliments for days. I went to the gym, was chilling in the steam room and sauna, looked at my towel by accident. YIKES! I know folks musta thought I was a dirty ****!!!

I stuck the gel back in it's spot in the baaack of the hair supply closet!

p1

By the way, does anyone else here braid on slightly damp hair? I do both. Sometimes on myself (and clients) I like to do a deep conditioning treatment before hand. Towel dry. Detangle. Apply a good leave in, etc. The hair is not wet by the time I get through with the detangling, leave in, etc. Just ever so slightly damp and moist. I like working that way actually because the hair is extra pliable.

I did a kinky weave on a woman two weeks ago. She came by today for me to recornrow the front and I tightened up a few tracks. Her hair was still shiny and soft underneath.

p1

patient1 said:
By the way, does anyone else here braid on slightly damp hair? I do both. Sometimes on myself
patient1 said:
(and clients) I like to do a deep conditioning treatment before hand. Towel dry. Detangle. Apply a good leave in, etc. The hair is not wet by the time I get through with the detangling, leave in, etc. Just ever so slightly damp and moist. I like working that way actually because the hair is extra pliable.

I did a kinky weave on a woman two weeks ago. She came by today for me to recornrow the front and I tightened up a few tracks. Her hair was still shiny and soft underneath.

p1

i sure do..especially when it was all natchural...it would make my life easier with all the natural hair and having it a bit damp helped me part it easier..

Back