Any naturals, wear hair straight ALL THE TIME?

anniev2

I wanted to see if there are any naturals who wear their hair straight all the time. I do and i'm just wondering if in due time it will be a waste of time to even think about growing my hair by straightening once weekly. I like my hair natural b/c of the body that I get unlike when my hair was relaxed and lifeless. That was probably because I wasn't stretching.

Just curious. I feel like i'm a lost breed on here and I'm starting to think i know why.

No you're not alone at all...in fact there was a whole thread dedicated to naturals who straighten all the time. I'll see if I can find it.

I am wondering the same thing. I am natural now but I transitioned by wearing weaves pretty much all the time. now that I am natural I want to condition every week but me that means pressing my hair each weak after I deep condition. I think the hair can do well but everyone so against heat and manipulation that it's hard to find people who do press every week or so. I'd be really interested in finding someone who does and is making great progress.

There are numerous threads on this subject. Just search "naturals that straighten". Try a google search if that's easier (naturals that straighten site:longhaircareforum.com) You'll come up with a whole bunch of information.

It is possible to straighten every week. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's possible. But, you have to start with healthy hair. If your hair is damaged already then straightening every week is only going to make it worse.

Either way, you will have to make sure you moisture/protein balance is on point. You need the moisture so that it will be easier to get your hair straight. That's why a lot of naturals use the caramel treatment or another type of heavy DC before they straighten because it helps to elongate the curls. You will have to be on top of your protein because the heat is going to break your hair down a little bit.

Naturals that straighten can't be lazy. You have to stay on your DC's and make sure your hair is really healthy before you straighten. You will also need a really great heat protectant and ceramic flat iron.

IA with Msa. I had a field day yesterday when I typed in natural, straightened, hair, etc. in the search engine. There were a lot of threads including the Straight Natural Support Thread that included links to other threads. That thread plus Pinkskates' Tension Method Thread and SamJone's Steam Treatment Thread will be invaluable to a heat-straightened natural.

No you're not alone at all...in fact there was a whole thread dedicated to naturals who straighten all the time. I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing. I am natural now but I transitioned by wearing weaves pretty much all the time. now that I am natural I want to condition every week but me that means pressing my hair each weak after I deep condition. I think the hair can do well but everyone so against heat and manipulation that it's hard to find people who do press every week or so. I'd be really interested in finding someone who does and is making great progress.
I also transitioned wearing weaves. I want to wash and condition every week too. I don't comb or manipulate during the week. I just brush my edges (2-3 strokes) and tie my scarf at night. I can't think of the profile i got this idea from but I put a roller pony tail at night after moisturizing and i wear a bun or pony.

There are numerous threads on this subject. Just search "naturals that straighten". Try a google search if that's easier (naturals that straighten site:longhaircareforum.com) You'll come up with a whole bunch of information.

It is possible to straighten every week. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's possible. But, you have to start with healthy hair. If your hair is damaged already then straightening every week is only going to make it worse.

Either way, you will have to make sure you moisture/protein balance is on point. You need the moisture so that it will be easier to get your hair straight. That's why a lot of naturals use the caramel treatment or another type of heavy DC before they straighten because it helps to elongate the curls. You will have to be on top of your protein because the heat is going to break your hair down a little bit.

Naturals that straighten can't be lazy. You have to stay on your DC's and make sure your hair is really healthy before you straighten. You will also need a really great heat protectant and ceramic flat iron.
Thanks msa! That is some great advice. I do know how to use the search function...promise. :yep: I sometimes just want to get some other info. I'll be sure to look up those posts.

I think i have found a good protein moisture combo...its felt better this time when it was wet but after its dry it still feels "coarse" for lack of a better term. I only put heat protectant (CSI) and a leave in on it before blow drying.

All: Is there a such thing as a moisturizing heat protectant?

No! your not the only one who is natural that straightens on a weekly basis. I do as well, and like your self, I do worry that that this will hinder retention, but for me to leave my hair in its natural state, is a lott more work and I feel more damaging for myself since manipulation on a daily basis means a lot of lost hair. I have to confess that I prefer my hair straight. Hairdressers have told me that I should relax my hair, since using heat on a weekly basis is not good, my argument is that I would still use heat if I was relaxed, plus on top of that a chemical process!!! I cant really see the logic, if some one out there can, please inform me.
This is all new to me, since I have been on the road for approx 6 months and so far, no damage, if anything my hair is super healthy, but I am very strict when it comes to wash day, I DC the hell out of my hair. I prepoo with Amla oil and a cheapie cond, shampoo, DC with 10en1, then DC again with either Mizani or Redken. And I make sure that I use my heat protectant!!!!

I think i have found a good protein moisture combo...its felt better this time when it was wet but after its dry it still feels "coarse" for lack of a better term. I only put heat protectant (CSI) and a leave in on it before blow drying.

All: Is there a such thing as a moisturizing heat protectant?

If your hair doesn't feel soft, moisturized, and strong after your DC's then you need to get a better DC if you're going to straighten. You know your hair, and if it doesn't feel "right" then don't risk straightening and causing damage.

Your leave in/moisturizer is there to supplement the moisture you get from your DC's. If you have a high quality DC then your hair should feel good afterwards. If it doesn't, then find a different one.

I haven't heard of a moisturizing heat protectant. I know if I were to straighten (I never do) I would find the most heavy duty heat protectant possible so that I can be sure my hair will revert back. But, if you're always going to wear your hair straight, reversion probably doesn't matter to you.

Heat protectants are usually silicones that can absorb the heat of your flat iron. Silicones can't moisturize so I doubt there's a moisturizing heat protectant. Best to get all your moisture from your DC and leave in/moisturizer.

Back