Any harm in DC'ing with a coney conditioner?

Charla

I'm trying to super simplify my conditioning and detangling sessions, so I was considering DC with a coney conditioner, but is there any harm in that -- and I want to use heat to DC. I know if I use cones then I need to clarify more often, but will the cones cause harm over time when combined with heat?

(I plan to try out some of the "combing conditioners" listed on the tightlycurly site for my DC session and detangling while it's in my hair.) After this my final step will be M&S.

Nope, scan the archives. Before the curly girl routine and natural product takeover, people on this board used whatever worked for them. Many members were able to retain length and had moisturized hair while using products with so called "bad" ingredients. Many of the popular deep conditioners had silicones too.

I guess it depends on if it is water soluble or not. I remember one time I used Pantene smooth and sleek way back in the day with heat and my hair was not the same meaning that when I used different conditioners they felt good going on but once I rinsed my hair felt like it was not conditioned.

It took awhile to get it back using sulfate shampoos to remove the build up. So I would say some are good only as rinse out and others as a DC.

Experiment and see which works for you.

U wont know if it doesnt work unless u try it. I personally dont use coney products period cuz i dont like the coney feeling afterward...and it makes it harder to moisturize days later. I have fine hair so a real coney product weighs my hair down. I also dont like that it makes my hair feel like its moisturized but it reqlly isnt. Its just coated

I guess it depends on if it is water soluble or not. I remember one time I used Pantene smooth and sleek way back in the day with heat and my hair was not the same meaning that when I used different conditioners they felt good going on but once I rinsed my hair felt like it was not conditioned.

It took awhile to get it back using sulfate shampoos to remove the build up. So I would say some are good only as rinse out and others as a DC.

Experiment and see which works for you.

U wont know if it doesnt work unless u try it. I personally dont use coney products period cuz i dont like the coney feeling afterward...and it makes it harder to moisturize days later. I have fine hair so a real coney product weighs my hair down. I also dont like that it makes my hair feel like its moisturized but it reqlly isnt. Its just coated

Thanks, ladies. That's kinda the things I was worried about. I see she also recommends Giovanni 50:50 which is no cone, so I think I'll start with that and go from there to try to achieve enough slip to detangle plus DC ability (with my own additives to make it a DC.)

I've been experimenting and using coney :lol: serums and products a lot lately. Plus I love Silicone Mix conditioner.

If I'm not mistaken, oils on the hair will break down silicone build-up and makes it easier to wash away, but I still use a daily clarifier or castile soap to get rid of the cones so I can moisturize properly on my weekly wash day.

Initially, I was trying to go totally coneless as well. However, I realized that there were no DCs in my VERY cheap price range that did not have cones. So now I only use cones when I DC or as a leave-in when I'm using direct heat. That is a happy medium for my hair and I do not have to clarify very often at all (once every 1.5 months).

HTH! :)

i also wanted to add that coney products IMO...are products that use more than 1 cone in their product. Or they use them very high up. I'm not anti-cone by any means. But I'm very anti-heavy cone

Back