Any APL and longer ladies that overcame breakage layers?

kgard7777

Hi ladies,

I have about 6 different lengths of hair due to breakage from a bad dye job last year. Can any of you relate or have overcame this? I am at almost brastrap ( again) and I would like my shortest layer to at least be shoulder length or below..right now I have some breakage layers as short as 4 inches long :( ... and when I go to the Dominicans unless I come home and flat iron it a little to blend the rest of the hair with it ... I have a mess on my hands... please help!

do you have any pictures. I am not being funny or mean but I am trying to picture what you are saying? Did you originallly have layers and they broke off ?

Hi I have pics but they are old before the breakage ... they are fotki.com/kking7777 and the password is brastrap

But to better describe all of my hair starting from my ear to the front of my hair line is very choppy from damage...

I am not APL, but I am shoulder length with the same problem.

I had many different lengths as a result of damage. The problem I had is that the different layers would tangle.

It is different than cut layers. It is BAD! The tangling would result in breakage which is what you are getting, too, i'm sure.

I have finally gotten away from it for the most part. The "cut it until it's even" challenge has helped me. I still have the layers, but they seem more like layers that were done on purpose and not grossly uneven damage that resulted in fake me out layers.

Basically cutting a little bit evey month is the only thing I could so to get the tangling and breakage to stop.

You are so right in describing it as a mess. That's what I felt. It was CRAZY and it took me a while to determine the source of the breakage.

Thanks for your response.. well i can disguise it when i do it myself but when i go to the dominicans it looks so bad :( like a mohawk

the same thing happened to me last year. a dye job and protein broke my hair off. i'm apl, slightly;) , in the back but i had long layers thru-out but thats where most of the damage occured. like someone said, just gradually cut it off and protect your hair.

kgard7777 said:
Thanks for your response.. well i can disguise it when i do it myself but when i go to the dominicans it looks so bad :( like a mohawk

same here. Even now that it is better, I still am able to do it better than when I go to the salon. When it was really bad, they did not know what to do with me. :)

kgard7777 said:
Hi I have pics but they are old before the breakage ... they are fotki.com/kking7777 and the password is brastrap

But to better describe all of my hair starting from my ear to the front of my hair line is very choppy from damage...

Are you the poster KKing7777?

i have journalled my progress with layers in my fotki. it is a battle. the best thing that helps is rollersetting. when i do it myself at home, i am able to hide it or emphasize the curls which make it look fuller.

caruso steam rollers are great for growing out layers too.

kgard7777 said:
Hi ladies,

I have about 6 different lengths of hair due to breakage from a bad dye job last year. Can any of you relate or have overcame this? I am at almost brastrap ( again) and I would like my shortest layer to at least be shoulder length or below..right now I have some breakage layers as short as 4 inches long :( ... and when I go to the Dominicans unless I come home and flat iron it a little to blend the rest of the hair with it ... I have a mess on my hands... please help!

I would cut the breakage layers a little to get rid of the split/ect...but don't touch that brastrap part:D you leave it be;)

I haven't overcome mine yet. I have a comb-over in the back even with my short afro! hahaha. A lot of the hair fell off in the back from relaxer abuse. I have refused to cut the rest of my hair to match it- I'll see what happens after my touch-up in a month - the short area is all natural so I'll trim after my touch-up but I think I will go to the stylist for the touchup but come back and trim it myself - after disasters with stylists cutting my hair I don't think I will let anyone else cut it again. Also I think in the end I'll want the back to be just a little bit shorter than the top or sides so I'll be patient - unless more of it falls off after the touch-up then I will have no choice but to chop.

Back