Am I Too Old????

nuance7

Hello Lovies...

I am SERIOUSLY considering transitioning to natual. I am almost BSL. I am 47. The styles that I have seen naturals wear are puffs, wash n gos, and twists. Are the styles age appropriate, in your opinion? I would like to transition slowly and be fully natural by 50. What say ye? I naturals in thier late 40's? Fotki's?????

Too old to rock your own natural hair? Of course not. Too old for some of the styles, maybe. Try transitioning or wigging and braids until you get to a legnth you like.

i know som of the other girls will chime in.

hth.

I am 49. My last relaxer was at 43. I grew my hair out of the relaxer and did not do the big chop. I would think with your length (and even if you did the BC) that you would be very successful and be able to do some lovely styles. I did not find LHCF until over two years after I started transitioning, so you are ahead of the game, IMO...Good luck...

I'm older and my favorite hair styles are twists, wash-n-go's and rollersetting. Curlformers will probably look great with your hair length.

I think natural hair can look quite elegant on older woman, this woman is in her 80's and is gorgeous:

9780385514620.jpg

Girl I 47 and rock my hair styles , you never to old rock your natural as stated before , and the length you have is great start, I know yoiu will look good , I have several friends rock twist , puffs etc , and they look good, find what work best for you

BS is right. You do you. I know when I first started transitioning my thought was not only am I too old but will I look right?

Then I had to think who was I comparing myself too?!?! Natural hair is what I was born with so I needed to do a mental adjustment and realize if I was born with it then it is good enough no matter what age I am.

Trust me it will be very liberating once you get your mind set right about it. :)

Also, I am barrelling down on 50 like a freight train! :)

I began transitioning to my natural texture in 2005 when I was 52 and was fully natural 14 months later. I began my transition to gray last year and am almost completely silver/gray. The only age inappropriate style I think of is when women put clips in their hair that are more suitable to children. Everything else you mentioned is great for women of any age.

Go for it! I totally understand how you feel about looking childish with plaits or afro puffs. In this society, you are mostly see those type of styles on children. I'm in the 40's club and have natural hair. I belive a full head of twist outs, bantu knot outs, or pressed ( every once in a while) will look fabulous and "grown". These styles look better on me with length.

I agree with the above poster about being liberated. I love being natural. With BSL length hair, I would transition.

Never too old. NEVER, EVER, EVER!! My cousin turns 50 next year and she started her transition 2 years ago. Now she is fully natural and her hair is APL. She mostly does Dominican blow outs and it allowed her to transition with no problem. I'm sure you'll look great!!

I wear braidouts and buns all the time, I'm turning UMMM OMG! :perplexed 52 this month, geeze time goes by fast - my last perm was early 2007, my hair is all natural now and I love, love, love it. I had so many problems with the perm hair because my fine locks wasn't having any of that. Now my hair is loving me back! I say go for it you are never, ever to old to wear your own hair. I feel :drunk: so much better now that I am not in a perm and I have total control over my hair.

Ladies!!!!! Thanks so much for the encouragement!!!!! I am going to go for it! I have been contemplating this for a while. Last touch up 7/09. It will be a long transition. Wish me luck! Has anyone done a LONG transition successfully?

Back