Am I the only one with this problem?

Denim And Leather

Ok, I really think my hair doesn't like protein, or hardly any.

A couple of weeks ago, I used the Pureology Superstraight shampoo and conditioner, and I loved it! It made my new growth much softer, and my comb glided through my hair when I detangled under the shower. Both the shampoo and conditioner contain protein, and after using them about 2 times in one week, my hair was breaking (putting a 2 minute reconstructor made it worse, too.)

I laid off the protein and concentrated on moisturing, and eased some back into my routine, via Profective Anti-Breakage (it doesn't have that much protein), and my hair was fine.

This past Saturday, I deep conditioned with UBH's conditioner, which I haven't used since April and it has lots of protein. This morning, my hair started breaking again! :mad:

Is it just me, or does anyone else have this kind of problem with protein. I'm thinking of giving my bottle of Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair away.

Last edited:
I stopped using concentrated protein treatments regularly, and my hair is fine.

I do need tp deep condition but some of my deep conditioners don't rinse well and cause my hair to break more or feel weighed down.

But, that is just how my hair is, the more product build up the more breakage.

Things have gotten better since I started doing my protein deep conditions on dry hair BEFORE shampooing. (idea from macherie) I use something like ORS Mayo, MOTIONS CPR on the tub, GPB, etc.

ITA Honeydew. My hair gets hard, dry and brittle with protein, even if I follow it with a moisturizing con. It also get super dull.

The protein prepoo work best for me. I alternate each week- one week moisture, other week protein. One of the best things Ive done to my hair:)

Macherie, I've adopted your method of using protein treatments as a pre-poo; I really like it so far, especially when I add EVOO to it.

Thanks for your replies, ladies. :)

I actually bought some of the silk elements hair mayonnaise, I added some of it with my KeraCare Humectant conditioner, and don't recall seeing any breakage with that.

Macherie, next time, I will try your pre-poo treatment with the ORS hair mayo.

Thanks again, guys!

To me, it sounds more like product build up caused your problem.

You say the comb glided through under the shower. Most products that offer excellent detangling do so because they coat the hair strands in one way or another. Coating of the hair strands leads to build up, and since you used the product twice in one week this might be what happened.

I'm curious to see what clarifying would do for your hair.

Supergirl said:
To me, it sounds more like product build up caused your problem.

You say the comb glided through under the shower. Most products that offer excellent detangling do so because they coat the hair strands in one way or another. Coating of the hair strands leads to build up, and since you used the product twice in one week this might be what happened.

I'm curious to see what clarifying would do for your hair.

I had no idea that the shampoos that add slippage coats the hair (makes sense, though.) After the breakage with the Superstraight shampoo, I did clarify my hair, then concentrated on moisturizing it, then eased the Profectiv anti breakage, and my hair recovered pretty much.

I plan on clarifying my hair tonight and wash with my NTM shampoo and deep condition with KeraCare Humectant, and will stay away from the UBH conditioner.

At this point, I'm scared to go near protein!

crlsweetie912 said:
My hair doesn't seem to need much protein at all. I posted about this a couple of weeks ago, so you aren't alone!

I do remember seeing your post on that. It is good knowing that I'm not alone. Thanks for the reminder! :)

I just do lite protein treatments on my hair. If I overdo on protein, it will definitely break my hair. Infusium 23 leave-in was a beyotch on my hair. :nono:

What kind of light protein treatments do you use? I'm getting a touch up next week, and obviously can't use my Aphogee treatment for damaged hair, or the 2 minute reconstructor. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Denim And Leather said:
What kind of light protein treatments do you use? I'm getting a touch up next week, and obviously can't use my Aphogee treatment for damaged hair, or the 2 minute reconstructor. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I mix LeKair Cholesterol Plus and ORS Replenishing Pak, both contain collagen. I also have a tub of Silk Elements Hair Mayo, which is a dupe of the ORS version. This also contains collagen. :yep:

Priestess said:
I mix LeKair Cholesterol Plus and ORS Replenishing Pak, both contain collagen. I also have a tub of Silk Elements Hair Mayo, which is a dupe of the ORS version. This also contains collagen. :yep:

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but does the LeKair Cholesterol Plus and the ORS Replenishing Pak have protein? What does the collagen do? Does it strengthen the hair like protein?

TIA! :)

Back