Am I ruining my rollerset?

gymfreak336

So I have finally gotten the hang of rollerset my hair and it comes out quite nicely I might add;) but I notice that after I sleep on it once, it doesn't look nearly as good as it did. It looks flat and the curls don't bouce like they did before. Even when I got to the salon and get it set, the curls bouce back from the wrap for a couple of days.Please view my steps and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I wash and condition as usual. I always detangle in the shower and I leave my hair soaking wet.

I run a good sized squirt of sunsilk leave-in (the one in the purple bottle for smoothing waves and kinks). I comb this through and it really helps soften and detangle my hair.

I proceed to parting and rolling. As I roll each section I put a little foam wrap on each section. I also spray my whole head with more water so it doesn't dry out.

I sit under a dryer and make sure each piece if completely dry before undoing the curls. I rub moistrizer on each piece before combing and shaping it with a wide tooth comb. At night I wrap it up and tied with a silk scarf.
Up until this point everything looks good but when I wake up it is just not the same. I usually have to flat iron or curl some sections again. I'm used to doing that lets say 5 days into a set but the first day after, I don't know. Please ladies, what recs. do you have. I have worked very hard trying to learn how to set and now that I have, I can't get it to look as good for more than 1 day. Any suggestions???:confused:

When I want my curls to stay, I pincurl them before I go to sleep. In the morning, they are nice and bouncy again. This is the only way I know to keep them from getting flat.

gymfreak336 said:
So I have finally gotten the hang of rollerset my hair and it comes out quite nicely I might add;) but I notice that after I sleep on it once, it doesn't look nearly as good as it did. It looks flat and the curls don't bouce like they did before. Even when I got to the salon and get it set, the curls bouce back from the wrap for a couple of days.Please view my steps and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I wash and condition as usual. I always detangle in the shower and I leave my hair soaking wet.

I run a good sized squirt of sunsilk leave-in (the one in the purple bottle for smoothing waves and kinks). I comb this through and it really helps soften and detangle my hair.

I proceed to parting and rolling. As I roll each section I put a little foam wrap on each section. I also spray my whole head with more water so it doesn't dry out.

I sit under a dryer and make sure each piece if completely dry before undoing the curls. I rub moistrizer on each piece before combing and shaping it with a wide tooth comb. At night I wrap it up and tied with a silk scarf.
Up until this point everything looks good but when I wake up it is just not the same. I usually have to flat iron or curl some sections again. I'm used to doing that lets say 5 days into a set but the first day after, I don't know. Please ladies, what recs. do you have. I have worked very hard trying to learn how to set and now that I have, I can't get it to look as good for more than 1 day. Any suggestions???:confused:

You are doing everything right, I was having the same problem and what I did was stop wearing my satin scarf and bought a satin bonnett and my curls stayed bouncy even when I wrapped at night. One other thing you can do is put some rollers at the top or you can use hot rollers in the morning and let the curls set while you put on your makeup and make your breakfast or whatever your routine is in the morning......HTH

I also pincurl and have also gathered 4 sections of hair and rolled each section with a sponge roller wrapped in paper and placed them on top of my head so that I can sleep comfortably. When I let them down in the morning I have curls.

gymfreak336 said:

when you say you rub moisturizer on each piece-do you mean each section that you just had rolled? if your answer is yes maybe that's why your curls dont hold long. after i rollerset i put a dab of moisture on my scalp then massage it throughout my hair. this give my hair and scalp moisture and it doesnt way down on my hair. thus my hair is still bouncy and moisturized. hair does need moisture but you want to be careful and not overdo it. what type of moisturizer are you using?

I also believe that is her culprit, it's weighting your hair down, you shouldn't have to moisturize the same day as you set your hair, and if so use something light like NTM, or Humectress, or it could just be that your using too much moisturizer on your hair a dime size should do. I also pincurl my hair at night to give that fresh rollerset the next day. I set my hair on tues. and I haven't had to moisturize my hair yet, I jsut take the pincurls down and finger comb.
LAYDEE said:
when you say you rub moisturizer on each piece-do you mean each section that you just had rolled? if your answer is yes maybe that's why your curls dont hold long. after i rollerset i put a dab of moisture on my scalp then massage it throughout my hair. this give my hair and scalp moisture and it doesnt way down on my hair. thus my hair is still bouncy and moisturized. hair does need moisture but you want to be careful and not overdo it. what type of moisturizer are you using?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I also believe that is her culprit, it's weighting your hair down, you shouldn't have to moisturize the same day as you set your hair, and if so use something light like NTM, or Humectress, or it could just be that your using too much moisturizer on your hair a dime size should do. I also pincurl my hair at night to give that fresh rollerset the next day. I set my hair on tues. and I haven't had to moisturize my hair yet, I jsut take the pincurls down and finger comb.

yep, that has to be the problem. the only reason why i do put any type of moisturzier(perfect for perms or NTM) is because that's what my stylist has me use to doing. lmao

thanks for the replies. I think it might be the moisturizer too. I am going to buy a satin bonnet though so that I don't crunch them up too much.

Back