Am I Lacking Something?

Leona28

I've noted that my nails tend to break after a few millimeters growth and my hair breaks after it reaches a certain length. At present though, I am putting my hair in cornrows and wearing a wig which has resulted in faster hair growth. Do I need to eat more protein? I tend to be on the overweight side and love carbs. Should I be thinking of cleaning my colon, consuming more multivitamins, water?

Advice is very helpful.

Thank you.

Do you incorporate green vegetables and fruits in your diet often? breaking nails can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. whats your hair regimen? do you use protein? how much water do you drink a day? need more details.

Do you incorporate green vegetables and fruits in your diet often? breaking nails can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. whats your hair regimen? do you use protein? how much water do you drink a day? need more details.
Thank you for your reply.

As for hair care, I am currently post relaxed many weeks. I last relaxed 5 months ago. I want to relax 2x per year. I cornrow and place a wig on every day I go out. I've been doing this since November 2015. My hair has grown a good 3-4 inches since then. I wash my hair every 4-6 weeks. I unbraid my hair, shampoo wash, steam with a deep conditioner and then rebraid. As for what I put in it, I use Indian hair oils with peppermint and water sprayed on. Sometimes using a a night cream. Sometimes nothing. I don't wear my silk scarf every night.

Diet wise, I eat fruit every day and have tried to make green smoothies once over the last two weeks. I was taking my supplement (a highly potent green powder) until recently. I have not taken it since Christmas. It gave me alot of energy. As for protein, I eat meat/fish in nearly every lunch/evening meal. Depends. I however am aware that I have a tendency to prefer carbs. Water I am on my second bottle of 850ml at the moment.

Me too. For me it tends to be my calcium. When I remember my vitamins (or just calcium supplements) and juicing my nails grow in thick and hard and the peeling stops. Same with hair and breakage. But it's very hard to pinpoint exactly what youre deficient in without blood tests.

Try spraying the Aphogee keratin and green tea leave in on your nails. I know every time I use it on my hair my nails grow like crazy. But wear nail hardener or polish because they get so long they will break. As for your hair, a proper moisture and protein might help.

It could be a number of things but for me personally when my nails start to break easily it's due to a lack of protein. I've also seen an increase in strand strength and more retention since incorporating regular protein treatments in my hair care routine. I take a good hair, skin, nails vitamin and eat plenty of veggies and fruit. The main culprit for me has been the protein.

My hair and nails have taken off since getting back into my smoothie routine. I began adding spirulina and chlorella (high in protein) along with vegan protein powder to my smoothies to supplement workouts last spring/summer and that was all she wrote. The only external protein my hair gets is from DevaCurl products, specifically their DC Heaven In Hair. I never do strictly protein treatments and my hair is healthy...definition, shrinkage, growth, no breakage, hardly any shed hair (green tea rinses). I have zero complaints about my hair.

I think people don't realize they need to also maintain a healthy diet along with their haircare regimen.

Thank you for your reply.

As for hair care, I am currently post relaxed many weeks. I last relaxed 5 months ago. I want to relax 2x per year. I cornrow and place a wig on every day I go out. I've been doing this since November 2015. My hair has grown a good 3-4 inches since then. I wash my hair every 4-6 weeks. I unbraid my hair, shampoo wash, steam with a deep conditioner and then rebraid. As for what I put in it, I use Indian hair oils with peppermint and water sprayed on. Sometimes using a a night cream. Sometimes nothing. I don't wear my silk scarf every night.

Diet wise, I eat fruit every day and have tried to make green smoothies once over the last two weeks. I was taking my supplement (a highly potent green powder) until recently. I have not taken it since Christmas. It gave me alot of energy. As for protein, I eat meat/fish in nearly every lunch/evening meal. Depends. I however am aware that I have a tendency to prefer carbs. Water I am on my second bottle of 850ml at the moment.

Do you do any type of protein treatment on your hair?

My hair is growing but I think one valid point I'm gaining from this is my LACK of protein. Minimize the carbs, increase the fruit and veg, bump up the protein. (Protein is so heavy though and lacking in sweetness:)
Have you ever used a reconstructor, or a protein treatment like aphogee or nexxus?

Back