Airdrying my Hair How do we Busy Ladies Do it!!!!!!!

Smiley79

As I mentioned in other posts I am interested in cowashing 2-3 times a week from now on. My question is: due to my work schedule I can only do these washes at night after "Mommy-duties" are all done. How can I possibly aqueeze in airdrying after my cowashes when it's time to go to bed afterwards. I have dry hair and I'm interested in giving my blow dryer a rest to see if I can notice a change in results, but realistically, how do i air dry when my hair regimin is at the end of a busy day. (And scratch the idea of doing it in the morning, I don't have healthy or legnthy enough hair yet to go to work with damp hair and still be presentable at the same time.:nono:) Any suggestions from the busy ladies, mommas, students etc will greatly be appreciated. I think that includes everyone. lol

As always, thanks all!

Last edited:
I have a long day as well (work full-time, school 3 days a week) and I allow my rollersets to airdry at night. My hair was not damp at all this morning. I used a little bit of avocado oil and NTM leave-in to roll my hair. I use a satin bonnet at night. This morning I used some NTM and Jane Carter's Nourishing Creme to moisturize.

Thanks, I didn't think I could go to sleep with wet hair...I thought I needed to be up and about for it to air dry. Thanks!!!

I'm actually interested in this as well. Do you rollerset w the magnetic rollers? or with the pillow rollers? I can't imagine sleeping on magnetic rollers without breakage..

I'm actually interested in this as well. Do you rollerset w the magnetic rollers? or with the pillow rollers? I can't imagine sleeping on magnetic rollers without breakage..

I use magnetic rollers and flexi rods. I haven't had any breakage.

I go to bed with wet hair whenever I CW on a weeknight. I don't have children so I can jump in the shower as soon as I get home. This gives my hair a few hours to dry before bedtime, so its usually just damp, not sopping.

Well. I'll have to give it a try. I've been blow drying every time I Cowash. Although I have been fortunate not to have any breakage I do notice that I have a dry texture...go figure.

I air-dry overnight with magnetic rollers - haven't had breakage either. OR i'll just do one roller in the front (to create a side swept bang) and pull the rest back in a little bun - tie it down with a scarf. When I wake up in the morning, I have an easy low-manipulation style that is simple but still cute. If I don't want to rock the bun, I can just put the rest up with a claw clip or even a small ponytail.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm so used to the days when it was a mega-sin to have wet hair...lol. I think I'm just scared of even trying to go to bed with damp hair. I'm going to give it a try when I do my next cowash. It doesn't hurt to try. I'm just anxious to give the blow dryer a break because that must me the cause of my eternal dryness no matter what products I use.

Well I'm busy from the time I walk in the door, mommy/wife duties don't give me free time until around 10pm. I wash my hair, apply my leave-in and seal, and then pull it back into a wet bun ( I have a really nice boar bristle brush), tie my hair down with a scarf and put an absorbent towel on my pillow. My hair is thick, so it doesn't dry overnight no matter how it's styled, so I've just decided to settle for the bun. If I want to spice things up I'll just put a phony pony over my little bun and I'm out the door. I've been doing this for a few months now.

I'm hearing a lot about this Sabino product...is that good for a leave in moisturizer for relaxed hair (use it wet or dry?)

During the summer I co-wash every day. I just put conditioner in my hair during shower. Wash up and rinse hair out. I towel dry, moisturize, seal then comb hair back into a plait, put my silk/satin scarf on. It dries somewhat overnight. In the morning I take the braid out and brush hair into a bun. NO BREAKAGE that way. Then hair dries the rest of the way during the day.

During the winter I don't cowash it snowing in PA right now and I'd be frozen. :lachen:I wash, deep condition, rollerset weekly in the winter.

Last edited:
I'm hearing a lot about this Sabino product...is that good for a leave in moisturizer for relaxed hair (use it wet or dry?)

The thing about Sabino is, it's not a moisturizer, but it is great at sealing in moisture. Some perfer to use oils to seal in their leave-in conditioners and other moisturizers, but Sabino lasts from one shampoo til the next, and it drastically reduces the frizz problem most of us have. Do a search on it, and you will find many threads :lachen:

ETA: when I know that I'm going to cowash daily, I just seal with oil b/c sabino is 15-20 bucks a bottle. Only if I'm washing twice a week, or doing a rollerset do I use Sabino.

I dry my hair overnight all the time (I'm natural). When I get out of the shower I wrap my hair in a t-shirt (great for absorbing water and it doesn't snag your hair like a towel). Once I take off the t-shirt my hair is still wet, just not sopping. Then I rollerset with Goody satin covered sponge rollers. I've learned that it's best to do on damp hair. And, if you use too much of a wet product (like a creamy conditioner or leave-in) it takes much longer to dry.

In the morning my hair might still be a little damp in some places but not so much that it bothers me. I end up with a curly fro. I'm sure if you're relaxed there would be more curls than fro.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm so used to the days when it was a mega-sin to have wet hair...lol. I think I'm just scared of even trying to go to bed with damp hair. I'm going to give it a try when I do my next cowash. It doesn't hurt to try. I'm just anxious to give the blow dryer a break because that must me the cause of my eternal dryness no matter what products I use.

Do you use high heat? You'd be amazed how drying on low heat can benefit your hair! Small tweaks help too. :yep:

For me, I co-wash, put products in, put my hair in a low ponytail and two strand twist it, then pin it up with one of the large bobby pins.... afterwards I tie it down (not too tight) with a satin scarf and voila! I go head about my business. :grin: Takes longer to dry but it's been worth it.

I do the same thing as likewtr4chklit.

I towel dry my hair, then apply my leave-in (aphogee Green Tree leave-in) to moisten it up and provide a little protein. next I put in my hemp seed butter for moisture and to smooth the hair down and seal with red palm butter which lays down roots like you wouldnt BELIEVE!

Then I just put it in a ponytail, baggy my ends to keep them moist (I wear a phony pony to work during the week, so my ends are almost always wet/damp), and tie my head up in my do-rag. To me, do-rags make the hair lie flatter than scarves do.

And that's it. I have to wear my hair up everyday for work, so I'm constantly baggy/bunning. It works for me because I only have to spend an hour at the most on my hair during the week. It takes longer on the weekends when I DC, but I love it :0)

I have a long day as well (work full-time, school 3 days a week) and I allow my rollersets to airdry at night. My hair was not damp at all this morning. I used a little bit of avocado oil and NTM leave-in to roll my hair. I use a satin bonnet at night. This morning I used some NTM and Jane Carter's Nourishing Creme to moisturize.

I second this. Did it last night, my hair was dry this morning and smelled great! I didn't have trouble sleeping either. :drunk:

During the summer I co-wash every day. I just put conditioner in my hair during shower. Wash up and rinse hair out. I towel dry, moisturize, seal then comb hair back into a plait, put my silk/satin scarf on. It dries somewhat overnight. In the morning I take the braid out and brush hair into a bun. NO BREAKAGE that way. Then hair dries the rest of the way during the day.

During the winter I don't cowash it snowing in PA right now and I'd be frozen. :lachen:I wash, deep condition, rollerset weekly in the winter.
lol...oh those winters.lol. Great ideas everyone. Thanks so much

Do you use high heat? You'd be amazed how drying on low heat can benefit your hair! Small tweaks help too. :yep:

For me, I co-wash, put products in, put my hair in a low ponytail and two strand twist it, then pin it up with one of the large bobby pins.... afterwards I tie it down (not too tight) with a satin scarf and voila! I go head about my business. :grin: Takes longer to dry but it's been worth it.
I'll try that low heat idea as well...

Trying my first air dry this evening...just felt like sharing that. I'm on hour #3, still damp and I'm ready to go to bed.:spinning: I will admit though, I'm fighting the urge to run to that blow dryer. But I know I gotta do what I gotta do to bring my hair back to a healthy point. :ohwell:

Well I'm busy from the time I walk in the door, mommy/wife duties don't give me free time until around 10pm. I wash my hair, apply my leave-in and seal, and then pull it back into a wet bun ( I have a really nice boar bristle brush), tie my hair down with a scarf and put an absorbent towel on my pillow. My hair is thick, so it doesn't dry overnight no matter how it's styled, so I've just decided to settle for the bun. If I want to spice things up I'll just put a phony pony over my little bun and I'm out the door. I've been doing this for a few months now.

My regimen is very similar:yep:- after my cowash, I put my leave -in, seal with Sabino Moisture, block, and then put a little bit of Fantasia green gel on. I tie my slicked back bun down w/ my silk scarf and sit under my soft bonnet dryer on low for 20-30 min. My hair looks really good, too, not flat iron straight, but really good to wear in a bun, phony pony, or half wig. I have been doing this since June, and my hair has progressed very nicely. I wash about 3x a week.

Maybe u can wash ur hair/shower first and then continue with ur nightly duties. This way the drying process has started way before u go to sleep since u are worried bout going to bed with damped hair. HTH.

Yea, that's exactly what I did and I am extremely happy with the way that my hair feels. Now I see what the rave was about airdrying. I'm sold! :lachen: But, I will admit that the hair was dry in the morning when I woke up. I don't know if that's normal or if I was supposed to have put in more leave-ins. (My leave-in products that I used were Hawaiaan Silky 14 N 1 and Profective Leav-In Detangler and a few drops of Olive Oil) I need to figure out some good products or ideas for airdrying hair so it stays soft because I don't think I'm going back to blow drying unless for extreme circumstances. It sucks that I just bought a bottle of CHI Silk Infusion, now it's just gonna sit there. That's not for airdrying right?:ohwell: Thanks for all the tips ladies!!!!

Back