Advice pls :4B natural regimen with wig (long)

BBabe

Hi Ladies!
I've just recently joined the board after about a month of lurking. I've tried to do my research but of course it becomes overwhelming.
A little background/ My hair history: I've had my hair mainly natural for about 15 years (1990:1 year stint with Leisure curl/1995: less than a year relaxed with Affirm). In '95 when I had my relaxer, my HD at that time told me that if I wanted to continue relaxing, I'd have to accept chin length hair forever, as my hair ends got too thin or broke off when reaching that length. So I decided to go natural forever, and just resigned myself to wearing single braids, which turned into kinky twists in 1999. I was wearing kinky twists until Oct 2004, when I decided to get a straight hair weave. Beyond the steam treatments and deep conditioning upon taking out the twists, I have never really "cared" for my hair. I added some grease when it got dry and that was about it. I also left my styles in for too long approx 3 months. Hey, I figured I'd never wear my hair out and would spend my life in braids or weaves so who needed haircare.
Well, let's fast forward to 2005, my year of self improvement on all levels. I stumbled upon this forum by accident and have been here ever since! Thanks to you ladies, I am trying to ERASE the belief that I will never have long hair - You ladies have restored my faith!! My current HD is always telling me it's possible, if I would just take care of my hair.After reading the archives, I decided that the protective style I need is a wig, as opposed to a weave (which I can't afford to redo every 4-8 weeks and have a tendency not to maintain). The bonus is that I work from home, so only end up wearing the wig for about 2 out of 7 days. I am currently wearing synthetic instant weave HZ8001 or HZ9002 by sensationel. I really like it - but am having a problem blending my natural hair. I plan on getting a lace front or maybe a plain human if I can get one that covers my hairline (pls let me know if you see 1 in my style).

I have not put a solid regimen together yet and would appreciate some advice. So far this is what I've been doing, but it is random, does not feel organized and is not feeling purposeful. Your suggestions are very much appreciated and welcomed.

Daily: 50/50 mix of Surge and MTG (the smoked herring smell doesn't bother me) massaged into scalp
- as needed, every other day moisturize braids with QP mango butter

Mid week Cowash, w/ overnight pre poo made of salerm 21, mane n tail cond and coconut oil
* I would love to cowash more often, but it takes too long for my hair to dry.

Weekly Poo
prepoo - coconut and olive oil - 10 min plastic cap, then hair combed out.
shampoo 2x with diluted Aveda Brillance
deep condition - ors, aphogee moisture balance and avocado conditioner
scalp - mix of wgo, mtg, surge
hair - Neutrogena leave in, scurl, moisture aide

Some questions:(Pls see my product listing in my journal)

Note: I'll be buying NTM shampoo shortly
- I am wearing 4 loose cornrows and like keeping them in during the week. Is it smart to keep the cornrows in while cowashing? How long can I keep them in before redoing them. I'd like to keep them in while I poo also.
- I'm trying to do low manipulation - when I do take the cornrows out, when/how should I comb my tangle easy hair

- I'd like to use up/incorporate/mix some of my old products with the new products or procedures - any suggestions?
- Looking at my current list (in journal) of items - what "mixes"/rotations can I perform. I don't know how/when to use half of the stuff I have, but would like to use them in my regimen
- Anything that should be diluted?
- Which products to throw out or are useless? (I can give them to neighbors)...

- I was thinking of the "baggie method" nightly for my 4 loose cornrow ends - If it's a good idea, what products should I use?
- Also are heating caps for deep conditioning a good idea?

- Is there anything else could/ should I be doing?
- Should I purchase a comfy grip?
- Any advice on a sleep cap that won't slide off?

Last edited:
I am glad that you are feeling more positive about your hair! :) Just one quick question, out of curiousity, w/ all the wonderful style choices you have as a natural(curly, short, twisted, bunned ect) why not wear your hair out? If you ever would like to see some really pretty,professional, fun styling options, just shoot me a pm :)!

I'm not at the point of maintaining styles yet - right now just trying to actually take care of my hair is a big change for me lol. I also find myself being drawn to straight styles lately - hence the wig serves both my purposes :)

bumping - wig members pls share your regimen.
Product junkies, please advise what products I should use for what...
TIA!

cholesterol and proclaim aloe an dshea butter conditioners work well for steam treatment/deep cond and detangling after washing they both have good slip and the proclaim smells good too.
hth

Welcome to the forum. I know how you feel because you're new, all this info can be overwhelming. We share hair types and it certainly takes a while to develop a regimen, much is learned through trial and error. Below I listed the products that work for my natural hair.

Shampoos

Nexxue Therappe
Folicure(low ph)
Creme of Nature Moisturizing Formula

Conditioners

Natural Elegance w/ Panthenol(excellent)
Biolage Conditioning Balm(worth every penny)
Sensitive by Nature Extensive Moisturizer(moisturizes very well)

Conditoner Washes

Pantene Hydrating Curls
VO5 Blueberries n Cream

Leave-Ins

Biolage
Mane n Tail(detangles well)

Strength/Rebuilding

Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum(works well)
Nexxus Cysteine Treatment

Ends Treatment

Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost
*you may want to follow up with a lite coating of oil on the ends after applying this(I use a couple of drops of Wild Grow)some of the ladies on the forum say it tends to make their ends a little crunchy if not followed by oil

I think the other key factors are low manipulation which you are already doing, minimal or no heat and retaining the ends by protecting them. I use a ends protector after every wash and apply a lite coating of oil , Cantu Creme when my ends feel dry. Listen to your hair it will tell when it needs something. I got caught in the trap of applying products daily when I didn't need them. Sometimes less is best. My regimen is simple, from the above list I choose one shampoo, conditioner, leave-in,and ends protector, smooth hair into ponytail and braid, that's it. I rotate my products and take my vitamins daily. Also remember to never comb natural hair when its dry, it took me a long time to get this through my head and I was having major hair loss. I only comb through my hair when its wet and full of conditioner.

Last edited:
Great guys! Thanx so much for the tips and regimen. I'm going to do the homemade steamer thing for weekly deep conditioning. From what I've been reading supposedly the heat caps are not good for our texture hair.

Does anyone do a prepoo? why/why not?

Last edited:
Back