Adding Oils to Relaxers

janeemat

What is the purpose of adding oils to relaxers? Will any oils do, jojoba, coconut, sweet almond, etc. I noticed Pixie adds keratin oils.

Hey Lady

I have only added oils one time but my hair was alot softer and had more shine afterwards. I used olive oil. I pmed Pixel Lady today about the keratin oil. I think I am going to use that in my next relaxer.

It's to dilute the relaxer creme and give you more time to relax or keep you from relaxing bone straight while moisturizing it. If the cuticles are going to be open, you might as well get some oil in there to keep it from drying out.

I'm thinking about adding some olive oil too. The last time (and my first time) I texlaxed my hair, I added conditioner based on a thread I saw. WHY was my new growth sooooooooo soft?

I think next time, I will add conditioner AND oil, sort of a 50/50 mix (50% relaxer/ 25% oil, 25% conditioner). I want to keep my new growth so when my hair grows out, I can wet it and wear it curly or blow dry and wear straight like Whimsy.

Hey Lady

I have only added oils one time but my hair was alot softer and had more shine afterwards. I used olive oil. I pmed Pixel Lady today about the keratin oil. I think I am going to use that in my next relaxer.

do you mind posting what you find out gym?

tia,
tishee

I always mix evoo & additional conditioners to my relaxer because I like the Tex Lax effect. Along the way I have noticed that my hair has gotten more bling, and is not dull feeling like it was before i started.

do you mind posting what you find out gym?

tia,
tishee

I'll help her out...hehe :yep:

Keratin oil is liquid keratin combined with Jojoba, Sunflower and Almond oil...thats it. It adds strength and shine. Its da bomb! Not only do I mix it with my relaxer, I use it every six weeks. It works really well mixed with a conditioner...or straight for the matter!

ETA: I also use this on my dd's hair, her hair is much denser and coarser than mine and works wonders. It seems to be one of the few products that just works, no matter what the type. Probably because its liquid keratin (hair) and oils...well enough said!

This is what it looks like before you shake it:

IMG_3406.jpg

Last edited:
I get it from a local bss...you know a "White" one. I have heard it is hard to find...I asked at Ulta and they said they "May" start carrying it (this was 6 mos ago). I haven't asked again, cuz I really like the bss I go to.

Now that I think about, someone said they got it off EBay...maybe she'll chime in!

I'll help her out...hehe :yep:

Keratin oil is liquid keratin combined with Jojoba, Sunflower and Almond oil...thats it. It adds strength and shine. Its da bomb! Not only do I mix it with my relaxer, I use it every six weeks. It works really well mixed with a conditioner...or straight for the matter!

ETA: I also use this on my dd's hair, her hair is much denser and coarser than mine and works wonders. It seems to be one of the few products that just works, no matter what the type. Probably because its liquid keratin (hair) and oils...well enough said!

This is what it looks like before you shake it:

IMG_3406.jpg

thanks Pixel Lady!:blowkiss:

I may just try adding conditioner and oils, but should i use super so the strength can end up being a regular? I still want straight hair. Also, has any one used safflower oil? I figured I could use the oil that I oil pull with!! Is a tablespoon full of oil and conditioner enough? 50% perm with a quarter oil and conditioner doesnt sound potent enough for my underprocessed mop of hair.
Also, lye or no-lye, what types of perms are you using and since the extra stuff slows down the process, how long do you leave it on?

I may just try adding conditioner and oils, but should i use super so the strength can end up being a regular? I still want straight hair. Also, has any one used safflower oil? I figured I could use the oil that I oil pull with!! Is a tablespoon full of oil and conditioner enough? 50% perm with a quarter oil and conditioner doesnt sound potent enough for my underprocessed mop of hair.
Also, lye or no-lye, what types of perms are you using and since the extra stuff slows down the process, how long do you leave it on?

You don't really need to use that much oil. I am not the quickest when it comes to relaxer application so just a couple of spoonfuls into my mild relaxer slows it down just a touch so I have more time to make sure it is fully processed. I have a tendency to be underprocessed so I totally understand your fear. You don't need much, try just one or two spoonfulls. I use lye btw.

I am sure you could use safflower. I really don't think the type of oil matters that much. If you do use safflower, post a review.

Back