Absolutely can't go more than 6 weeks without

Shana

Absolutely can\'t go more than 6 weeks without

a RELAXER. Is there anyone else out there who absolutely can not stretch out their relaxer past a month and a half? I tried everything to get past getting a relaxer every 4 weeks because my hair grows like weeds, and it breaks as fast as it grow. I tried CO washes daily, then every other day, then every 3 days, and life just got harder and harder. My hair seems to coil around itself or something. My head just self destructs after 4 weeks. My hair gets drier and drier as I get further away from my last touch up. I have gotten to where it is no longer breaking, thanks to the advice from the forum, so I can see the length increasing
smile.gif
. I am trying to make "6 WEEKS" my new mark. I made it for the first time (got a fresh relaxer on 30 November, 2003. Any suggestions for 4B hair that fights back
mad.gif
(this stuff is a champion when it comes to putting up an excellent fight). Are there folks out there that loose more hair then they gain by stretching out their relaxers, or am I a loner
look.gif
? Need hair advice, please.

Re: Absolutely can\'t go more than 6 weeks without

What kind of shampoo and conditioner are you using? What about leave in conditioners?

I always thought that I HAD to relax every 4 weeks, but now, I'm at a bit over 8 weeks, and I'm not planning on relaxing for at least 3 weeks. I have been doing conditioning washes(with Nexxus Humectress, Pantene Restore and Renew, and a Suave deep conditioner). When my relaxer was fresh, I did them daily, now, I do one at least every other day.

I'm using a heavy cream leave in, and wearing my hair up in ponytails and buns, pulling it back wet and letting it air dry.

My hair is responding very well to the break from the chemicals.

Good luck to you!
smile.gif

I used to think that I couldn't go beyond six weeks as well; that was before I discovered this website. Then I began to experiment to see how much longer I could go without a relaxer; I started at 8 weeks, then 9, then 10. Now I am going for 12. What works for me is conditioner washing about once a week. I usually start out by applying Lustrasilk Cholesterol with aloe to dry hair then conditioner washing. If I use a protein treatment I always follow with a deep moisturizing conditioner like Kera Care Humecto or Kenra Moisturizing. I also make sure my new growth is always moisturized with oils and cream hairderess and if I see/feel any tangles I'll spray the tangled sections with Biolage Leave-In Tonic which detangles like a dream. Additionally, I've noticed that MSM really does help my newgrowth to come in softer (and seemingly faster as well). If you start out by setting smaller goals, you might find that you can space out your re-touches much longer than you think.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I don't like to go past 8 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. I'm going to 10 weeks this time, as I'm waiting til just before Xmas to texturize with PCJ.

My advice is to manipulate less as the new growth comes in. I wear vaselined, braided buns daily and only wash my hair once a week now. I detangle carefully with my fingers before I attempt to comb in the shower with Biolage leave in tonic. I moisturize the new growth daily with Surge and Ion Straightening conditioner.

If you find that you can't space relaxers out past 6 weeks, consider convincing your stylist to remove the relaxer 5 minutes before he usually would such that your hair will sustain less damage despite the frequency of chemical treatments. Use the mildest strength relaxer in your chosen product line.
smile.gif

Shana,

I used to get a relaxer every six weeks exactly. Then one day I discovered the hair boards and approached life differently. I wash my hair in between salon visits which I didn't do previously. I don't use the curling iron or blowdryer very much. And I use a satin bonnet every night. I do a protein conditioner every other week and a moisturizing conditioner every week. I oil and moisturize my scalp every other day. Although I am a PJ, the Keracare line works really well on my 4A relaxed hair.

This process enables me to go almost nine weeks instead of six.

Good Luck,

MissB

I use to think the same thing but as my hair got longer it was easier to stretch out my relaxer. I think that same will happen for you. MSM is also a good thing to use to soften the new growth so it is easier to manage. I too have 4 type hair and I know that is can be hard sometimes to manage your hair the way you would like. Just keep trying new things and something will work for you. I know that you said the co washes were not working for you but maybe you should give them another try when your hair grows a little but longer. They did not work for me until I cold get a decent size bun. Good Luck!!!

I'm 4a/b and I don't have problems not relaxing. I didn't relax for 6 months last time. I had more than 3 inches under there. I don't know if it's my hair or the stuff that I put into it, or the way I style it, but I really had no problems.

My new growth tends to straigthten out a lil bit when I wet set it.

This is exactly what I do...

I wash/condition wash my hair and then deep condition. I do a distilled water rinse. Then I put in two leave ins (razac and keracare), then I put wgo on mainly the ends. Then I section my hair and oil my scalp and newgrowth lightly with wgo (the wgo is the only thing that makes the new growth soft) Then I rollerset my hair, I use A LITTLE setting lotion and I dampen each section with diluted leave-in conditioner (razac diluted with distilled water) and add a drop of wgo to the end. Then I air dry... it comes out pretty good. After that I NEVER touch the new growth with a comb, I just fingercomb it.

I had a problem of not being able to go past 6 weeks. I would notice so much breakage and dryness.

Since coming to LHCF, I was able to go 8 weeks!!
clap.gif

I started to do con washes and noticed how much softer and managable my new growth was.

I don't think I could do over 8 though.
nono.gif

well i can't give you much advice because i'm still learning myself, but i can give you some sympathy because i have mostly 4b relaxed hair too....with some 3c and 4a...i know all about the coils and twists and the fights....i'm glad i found this site because when it came to me and my hair it was like "Me:0 ko's, Hair:Champion of the World"
hammer.gif
I've gone 12 weeks, but that was only with braids, i would've gone longer but fingers and combs couldn't part the hair
nono.gif
. Since i've been on here though, i've gone 5 weeks without braids or a relaxer and it still looks nice, something thats never happened before!
grin.gif
listen to the LHCF Ladies....they know whats up.
wink.gif

The key is using good shampoos and conditioners that soften and detagle your hair and wearing your hair in styles that you don't have to manipulate. I'm 4a and I went about 9 months without a relaxer before I changed my mind. Now I relax about every 3 months.
Try setting your hair in braids, bantu knots or small flexi-rods to make it through.

I used to be like that too and think I couldn't go longer than 6 weeks! I'm stretching mine out to 8 and next time I relaxe will be in January! One way I'm maintaining is by spraying Sta-Sof-Fro on my new growth and the rest of my hair! It softens new growth like nothing I've ever seen! It's cheap too! There's a whole thread I started on Sta-Sof-Fro! I think that's the best thing about it.......it helps you stretch out your relaxers!

Ladies
Thanks for the info. I will try to make it to 8 weeks this time. I was so proud when I got to 6 weeks. So, I will definitely set smaller goals to start with. I am willing to try these suggestions. Wish me luck.

Back