6 Weeks Post and Hating it!

SimpleKomplexity

I'm trying to stretch to 10 weeks (hopefully 12) But at the rate I'm going...I'ma relax it in 2 weeks!! I mean seriously I feel liek my hair has once again taken over!! I cowashed it and airdried it in a rollerset...it's hard...kinda dry feeling...it's not shiny...i dun think it's moisturized...the cowash helped but....ugh...and the sides don't lie straight...my hair just kind of does its own thing...and I'm starting to get a lil bit of BREAKAGE...can someone help me get the oisture back into my hair

I started stretching too from 6 to 8 weeks myself-so not easy. I will get a relaxer tomorrow(I am 8 wks post) because I am going out of town and where I am going my hair can't look a mess. However I found a great way around the frustration of protecting my hair from breakage.
First...give up trying to make your hair do something it can't. If rollersetting doesnt work do a braid out, french roll or bun it. I am into the french roll thing ..its great because i just lubricate my ends and tuck them in and use hairpins to hold it. I tie my hair up with a scarf for a half hour to smooth it(it also makes great waves). Thanks to Sweet Cashews hair butter and avocado oil my hair is the softest its ever been and easy to manage throught the stretching. I use her Avocado Oil and Seyani Hair Butter. Do a search on the forum-everyone is raving about her products..they are all natural and really show results. Her website is www.shescentit.com. I hope this helps:yawn:

That sounds like me, but I'm almost 9 weeks and I want to get it done this weekend. I don't think I can hold out until my goal of 3 months. I have way too much new growth now. I'm just going to vaseline my hair like crazy to protect it from the relaxer.

I think I'm going to stretch it month by month. So this time it's 9 weeks and next time I will try and stretch 13, and so on

I will be 12 weeks post this weekend (4a checking in). I used to think stretching was hard and even unbearable. This is my second time stretching so long. But I feel like, once you break through the point where the new growth is able to actually sprout out the head, it is easier to maintain.

My hair is real coily (i'm discovering), and it seems like once my new growth is able to get two full coils out, dealing with the new texture is a lot easier.

I'm actually thinking about stretching longer, and this is coming from a girl who used to think her hair game was lost at 5 weeks post! I thought all the ladies on this board were crazy for stretching.

I always thought my new growth was out of this world, kinky, afro-like and just a mess! And it would be cuz I had it dry and I was neglecting it big time.

But I've starting washing/co-washing twice a week (at least). And I find that when my hair and new growth is moist, it's actually softer than my relaxed hair to me! I'm finding coils that I never new I had and it's a real self-learning experience.

I'm surprised at the natural texture of my head (which I've never really figured out until I forced myself to stretch so long). I can flexirod, do a twist out, use a phony pony, and it's all good.

It's true that it works for some and not for others, but you might just want to try more moisture and get it wet a little more often, you might be surprised :yep:

I know that people say it's good to stretch, but whats the min amount of time to get one if your not into stretch.

Streching is not for everyone. I strech 12 weeks with no problems only because I have a super low manipulation regimen (wash and rollerset once every 3 weeks) and I dont comb the hair until the next wash day. I also dont try to do freshly relaxed styles on re-growth hair. I dont see any breakage that way. Good luck.

I'm 6 weeks post as well and I just keep my hair bunned the whole time, I shampoo and deep condition with heat once a week and moisturize daily. This is my regimen throughout my 3 month stretch.

I'm 6 1/2 weeks post, attempting to stretch to 12 weeks for the first time! This is coming from a girl who runs :cowgirl: to the stylist for a relaxer normally in 5 weeks. It's tough, girl, but I'm trying. I won't give up yet. I wash/co wash 2x a week. I've just been wearing it in an updo everyday, moisturizing it 2x a day and just finger combing it. I only comb it on wash days. I have some breakage, but I am trying to get that under control by figuring out a protein/moisture balance that my hair needs. So far, it looks like it needs a mild to moderate protein treatment weekly. I started using the Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor and it help to make my hair a little stronger. What helps a lot too is that I prepoo each wash with coconut milk, honey, condish and coconut oil for an hour. It's been softening up the NG pretty well. You may want to try that first. Keep us posted!

I'm 12 weeks post. I was going to do a relaxer at 10 weeks but I've been holding out.

Last weekend, I did an overnight pre-poo w/ Cholesterol. It worked WONDERS for my new growth.

I'm wearing my hair in a rollerset. I just leave it curly and finger comb it because of all of the new growth. I used a leave-in AND I have been moisuturizing about every other day or every other day based on needs. I think I'm going to do another overnight pre-poo on Saturday. I'm going to probably relax on the following Saturday.

I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one with stretching issues. I am currently 17 weeks post today. I have been cowashig everyday. The most difficult part is getting it to lay straight all day.

Hang in there ok, you can do it!!! I am a 3 month stretcher and agree it is soooo hard, but stick with your co washing...I am a bunner no rollersets when I am stretching due to manipulation.. Have you considered bunning?? Using a flexi-8 clip of octopus clip??? Good luck!!

I hear you, I'm currently at 20 weeks in what is going to be a 57-week long stretch (I'm hoping!) and I'm not transitioning, I just really don't want a relaxer because I dyed my hair blonde and I think any other chemical manipulation would kill it!! But be strong girl, it will all work out; I find that low-mani, fingercombing, DC'ing like crazy, and braids or twists make it go by very fast.

I understand.... I just finished an 18 week stretch. I think I'm going to do it with braids instead of wigs and ponytails next time.

Girl know your hair!!!!!!!!! If its time to get a perm then get a perm. If the hair is not cared for stretching can and will cause breakage. For me I will only go 8 to 10 weeks and no longer especially since I have color. Know whether you need moisture or protein and dont over do one side. You really can over protein your hair and I found out the hard way. :wallbash: Keep it simple!

I'm trying to stretch to 10 weeks (hopefully 12) But at the rate I'm going...I'ma relax it in 2 weeks!! I mean seriously I feel liek my hair has once again taken over!! I cowashed it and airdried it in a rollerset...it's hard...kinda dry feeling...it's not shiny...i dun think it's moisturized...the cowash helped but....ugh...and the sides don't lie straight...my hair just kind of does its own thing...and I'm starting to get a lil bit of BREAKAGE...can someone help me get the oisture back into my hair

This sounds like you need to clarify your hair. Centered Girl made a post about this a short while ago. You might want to loosely braid your hair to prevent tangling and use a clarifying shampoo, especially on the ends. Product build-up will prevent the moisture in your conditioners and leave-in from penetrating.

I feel your pain. My hair used to be that way.
Now I'm 15 weeks post & transitioning.
Your hair will let you know when it needs a relaxer.
You have to ease into stretching.
I went from 6 to 7 to 8 to 10 to 12 and so on.
You just have to find out what your hair likes/dislikes.
ITA with Aurora, you might need to clarify.
If your hair won't cooperate into braids (I've been there...) try Baking Soda.
Get a huge cup of warm water, mix in some baking soda, then pour it over your hair, sure to get the scalp.
There's a few posts about that if you search for them. HTH.

I am 5 weeks post and I hate it also. I just touched up my hair with SE relaxer after under processing with ORS lye. The SE got my hair smooth like I love it to be, but I also have been using my MN/Sulfur mix and these prenatal are making my new growth crazy, I don’t want to relax until June/July so I will just get some Senegalese twists to deal with the new growth madness.

I'm 6 1/2 weeks post, attempting to stretch to 12 weeks for the first time! This is coming from a girl who runs :cowgirl: to the stylist for a relaxer normally in 5 weeks. It's tough, girl, but I'm trying. I won't give up yet. I wash/co wash 2x a week. I've just been wearing it in an updo everyday, moisturizing it 2x a day and just finger combing it. I only comb it on wash days. I have some breakage, but I am trying to get that under control by figuring out a protein/moisture balance that my hair needs. So far, it looks like it needs a mild to moderate protein treatment weekly. I started using the Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor and it help to make my hair a little stronger. What helps a lot too is that I prepoo each wash with coconut milk, honey, condish and coconut oil for an hour. It's been softening up the NG pretty well. You may want to try that first. Keep us posted!
I think tommorrow i will do a GOOD protein treatment and cowash my hair to get soem moisture to my hair and try to do bantu knots or pincurlign or...SOMETHING lool cuz this new growth is noooo joke! I'm scared my hair is going to break off!

What helps me is Lacio Lacio on the entire length after a wash, rollerset, and then under bonnet dryer (better than airdrying). Until the next wash, I continue to use the Lacio Lacio. Helps so much.

Back