5 Hair Blogger Falsehoods, Debunked by a Professional Cosmetologist

Kurlee

I love what the natural hair movement has done for us in terms of empowerment and self-validation, entrepreneurship and inspiration. Future generations of women with natural hair now have an industry of products made for us, and a bounty of information offering advice and insight on handling our hair texture. We have ignited an online revolution and transformed the mainstream standard of beauty.

I love the natural hair community and I love so many natural hair blogs. But one of the things I don’t love, is the misinformation and negativity, and the criticism of others for their choices that can exist within our space. It does concern me that some in the natural hair communities seem to value the opinion of amateurs over hair care professionals. It can create a kind of confusion in the community. When most people are sharing the techniques that work for them, then how do you truly know what will work for you? What if the techniques that every blogger and vlogger are raving about, turns out to be detrimental to the health of your hair? How do you really know you’re following a sensible hair regimen, if it isn’t rooted in hair science and acquired education?

Recently I noticed natural hair professionals complaining about this on Twitter, but in a much more informed way. So I wanted to share that voice of experience, and reach out to someone who can critique from a place of knowledge and love.

Meet Camille E. Reed, the creator of Noire Design Concepts salon in Silver Spring, MD. She’s a genius with natural hair and an expert in hair color. She is licensed, she is professional, and she is frustrated with some of the misinformation that’s proliferating on the internet.

Camille sees it on an ongoing basis – the women who come into her salon with hair damage resulting from following bad advice they found from an unprofessional source. She’s here to debunk what she sees as the top 5 hair blogger falsehoods. Take it away, Camille!

“Hi everyone, my name is Camille E. Reed. I am an educator, licensed cosmetologist and natural hair stylist of 14 years and also the owner of Noire Salon in Silver Spring, MD. During the course of my career, I have estimated that around 17,000-26,000 heads of hair have sat underneath my hands and have been scrupulously tended by them. So it’s a bit startling to hear some of the natural hair bloggers spreading misinformation about hair care. I am sure they meant no harm. However, what most stylist and pros know cannot be Googled or passed down as second-hand information, without a great deal of both practical wisdom and a keen understanding of cosmetic chemistry. Here I am going to assist many of you back on to the right path. My concern is that some of this misinformation will cause your strands to behave in a way that causes your home hair care to become troublesome, over time. There have been terms that the hair bloggers are using or have created, that are neither scientifically sound or are what professionals use (and have been using) since the onset of Modern Cosmetology in the 19th and early 20th century.

1. Co-washing:

This is where bloggers and vloggers are instructing readers and subscribers to forgo using shampoo and “wash” their hair with conditioner.

The problem with this method is that it promotes the misuse of product. Within Cosmetic chemistry, certain products have certain roles. The shampoo, with either its surfactants or saponins, opens up the hair cuticle in an alkaline state to release dust, dirt, lipids (fats) and other products from the strand. The cleaners are molecularly attracted to these items and adhere. Water comes in as a solvent and removes both the shampoo and residue. Conditioners come in at an acidic state to relax the cuticle and bring pH balance back to the skin. Commercial conditioners (the ones people are using for these co-washes) contain an additional number of mild chemical sealants to add a bit more protection to the hair strand. It is designed to mimic the natural fat that comes from our scalp, called Sebum (also slightly acidic).

Misuse of conditioner leaves several layers of film on the strands that, after a few months, will start to retard the cuticle from opening properly to allow the strand to swell with water. The result is a low-porosity strand that becomes increasingly fragile and starts to break.

The good thing for ladies in this current hair care market is that companies are making sulfate free shampoos and organic shampoos that contain saponins (natural, non chemical cleansers) that will get your hair clean WITHOUT over-stripping. Understand that all of these other methodologies need to be carefully scrutinized and compared to actual cosmetic science before they are co-opted.

2. Dusting (aka trims):

I see more bloggers and vloggers instructing young ladies not to cut or trim their hair, showing off what they deem to be fabulously long hair without having been cut in multiple months or years.

The ends of your hair are the oldest and weakest part of your hair fiber. Yes, hair is a fiber and like most fibers, it has a shelf life. The ends are nearing the end of their shelf life and no amount of product will revive or repair fiber that is old and weather or style beaten. It just simply needs to be removed in small, but regular increments throughout the year.

I stick to the rule that 6 micro trims (read ¼” to ½”) every two months, will leave you with more than enough healthy hair to work with, especially since most healthy women average about an inch of growth in an 8 week time period.

A trim is not something easily done at home.
Take the leap, do the research, find a pro. If you can’t find one in your area, contact me Noireboss1 on Twitter and I will help you! I have pro friends all over the country that are ready and willing to help.

3. Permanent Hair Color at Home:

I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for several years. The more that I learn about color, the more I realize how dangerous these chemicals can be in the wrong hands. Here, chemicals are being re-arranged and keratin (the chemical protein that makes up the hair) is being affected. There are some kinds of color that can be done safely at home, such as semi permanent or water-based rinses. I see the worst compound damage occur when sisters are trying to blonde or bleach blonde themselves at home. Going blonder removes protein from the hair. Most natural sandy colored and blondes have very sparse, fragile hair. Structurally it is not very strong. So imagine this, if your natural color is a very dark brown…lifting 4-6 (or more) levels is going to severely weaken your hair!

Save yourself the heartache of watching your hair break and deteriorate. Call a pro! Make sure said pro is a licensed professional with color experience (and images to prove it!).

p.s. Coloring your hair also means you must change your shampoos to being sulfate free. Even if it’s “all natural.”

4. The Green House Effect (aka Deep Conditioning w/Cap)

This term really tickles me because most professionals call this a “deep conditioning treatment with a cap.” That’s all this is. No magic. Heat opens the cuticles slightly. If your conditioner contains some organic oils or other materials that the fiber can absorb…then this is wonderful. Otherwise, if your conditioning product isn’t doing its job in 20 minutes, then it is a cheaply made conditioner and a huge waste of your time.

5. Shampooing Once a Week:

I have gotten a ton of new clients in 2012, and their chief complaint is that “my hair is dry!” I will then ask them about their routine; what they are using and how frequent their shampoo & conditioner rhythm is. Most ladies are simply washing too frequently.

Commercial shampoos contain surfactants (chemically designed cleansers) that are designed to attach to dust and oil molecules and then be removed by water. There are glands in your skin that respond to this rhythm by producing a lipid (fat) called Sebum (pH of 4.5). In a healthy head of hair, the glands take about 3-5 days to reproduce this sebum at a rate that will not only calm the skin, but condition the hair closest to your scalp (within a half-inch or so). If you are washing every 7 days, you are telling those glands to increase the supply of this lipid to your scalp and skin. Some people’s scalp responds accordingly, mainly those who are using more organic shampoos that are created with saponins (natural, non lab created cleansers).

However, those who are using chemical detergents (yes, even of the sulfate free variety) will still end up stripping away too much of the Sebum before it has a chance to adequately calm the skin and hair. What I have found is irritated and itchy scalps, flare ups for my eczema clients, and overly dry ends for everyone! Rinse your hair as often as you want, but save the actual use of chemical shampoo for every 10 days or so. You will see vitality and suppleness return to your strands right away.”

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Camille! You can follow Camille E. Reed – owner of the Noire Salon on Twitter & Instagram as Noireboss1, and as Noire Salon on Facebook.

Have you followed any of this advice and had adverse effects before? Do you prefer to get your hair done by a licensed professional, or do you do your hair yourself and follow the advice of bloggers and online experts? Tell me what you’re going through!

Last edited:
I have been a licensed Cosmetologist for several years

Boom! That explains it. Ever since I stopped trusting "cosmetologists" with my hair, it has been thriving. In fact, it's never been healthier.

I think I'll stick to what I've SEEN work for me. Thanks anyway, Camille.

My hair needs washing once a week. I think the black community has the exact opposite problem, "dirt makes your hair grow" syndrome.

I took what I could from this post. Chewed the meat and spat out the bones.

Also, just because someone has dry hair,and they wash their hair once a week, doesn't automatically mean they are washing too frequently. Maybe their diet sucks. Maybe they dont drink enough water. Maybe they don't properly moisturize their hair often enough or with the right products.

I can just imagine her interviewing a client.

Cosmetologist: So, what problems do you have with your hair?

Natural: breakage, thin edges, dryness...

Cosmetologist: I see. How often do you wash your hair?

Natural: uhh...maybe once a wee-

Cosmerplogist: AHAH! There's your problem right there, you wash your hair too much.

Natural: well, I also don't drink water, take supplements, or eat food high in lipids and fat....

Cosmetologist: nope, its the washing. Start washing every 2 weeks. My work here is done.

Not all conditioner leaves a "film" on the hair because not all conditioned is made with the same formula. Just like not all shampoos get hair clean.

Also, I would like to see some before and afters of her clients.

When most people are sharing the techniques that work for them, then how do you truly know what will work for you? What if the techniques that every blogger and vlogger are raving about, turns out to be detrimental to the health of your hair? How do you really know you’re following a sensible hair regimen, if it isn’t rooted in hair science and acquired education?
So as a cosmetologist, does that mean you have acquired the knowledge of techniques that work for every head of hair you encounter? The same thing doesn't work for every head of hair, so a cosmetologist could just as easily recommend something that is detrimental to your hair as a blogger or vlogger.

There are some cosmetologists that do care about the health of their clients hair, but more often than not I have witnessed and experienced someone who cares more about styling the hair than the health of it. I say do whatever works for your hair.

Last edited:
I would run as fast as I could away from her... I would never ever let her touch my hair. She is going to tell all these women who have hair to their butt, hey yall, you don't know what you are talking about nor what you are doing that hair is too old to be hanging there you need to cut it off. :lachen:

technically one thing she thinks is cutting really is dusting. She recommends 1/4 an inch ever 2 months. That's not a bad cut. Only problem is the "hairstylist's" version of 1/4 an inch is usually an inch or more. They think they are cutting the bare minimum but most really are NOT.

I wash my hair every other day using sulfate shampoos and just recently got my hair analysis back and my hair is healthy! When I was going to stylists my nape area ALWAYS broke off but now that I do it, my nape area grows and maintains length. However, I will agree with her about the cowashing. Something about that never set well with me. When I baggy, I do it on dry hair with a light oil and it works for me. Bottom line I don't need a stylist. Its stylist like her that made me stop going to salons in the first place. Clearly her clients have never heard of LHCF!

I don't see the problem with calling "deep conditioning treatment with a cap" "greenhouse effect". She just wanted to make the full five points. She probably was coming up blank for the 4th talking point and picked something super random to nitpick. It's just not that big of a deal, mayne lol

I love the natural hair community and I love so many natural hair blogs. But one of the things I don’t love, is the misinformation and negativity, and the criticism of others for their choices that can exist within our space. It does concern me that some in the natural hair communities seem to value the opinion of amateurs over hair care professionals. It can create a kind of confusion in the community. When most people are sharing the techniques that work for them, then how do you truly know what will work for you? What if the techniques that every blogger and vlogger are raving about, turns out to be detrimental to the health of your hair? How do you really know you’re following a sensible hair regimen, if it isn’t rooted in hair science and acquired education?

Uhm... You mean like what we all do here on LHCF? :look: I guess she must've lost some clients to "amateurs" who gave better advice.

I honestly don't see any problem with her opinions. She makes good points, we on LHCF tend to agree to disagree on the points above:

1.There are those who think people who only co-wash aren't doing anything good for their hair, and others think that us who use shampoo are killing our hair.

2. Some of us agree that regular trimming is necessary Nonie, and others think trimming twice a year is better.

3. I fully agree with her about home hair color. Its a risk that some are willing to take, where others are adamant about going to a stylist to get their hair colored.

4. There are plenty of ladies on LHCF who are all about that heat source when DCing, but after all my time on the board, I have realized that there are just as many ladies who "ain't got time for that." They just put the DC on, slap on a cap while washing their body and then rinse.

5. I really can't believe anyone is finding fault with this one. I mean we have ladies who never shampoo! She may be right about this one, if you have dry hair, try shampooing less! I am not saying those who shampoo once a week are damaging their hair, but I find just through observation, that many long hair ladies shampoo less frequently.

I also thought the tone of the article was fine, she wasn't really condescending. She stated what she found to be myths and her reasons behind them. I would probably go to her to do my hair because she seems to be a cosmetologist that educates herself. You don't have to agree with her points, but to say she is basically full of it because she is a cosmetologist is very close minded.

I agree with her about coloring hair at home.
She seems like she's a little salty, maybe she lost some of her clients because they are now DIYers naturals.

The only argument I agreed with was coloring at home. I am still fairly new to being natural, and I would never do such a procedure on my own, knowing I don't have a full grasp of my hair and its behaviors.

Everything else, eh, I'll stick with what's working for now.

she sounds salty. when i went to stylists i was the same length for years and they would "trim" and inch every visit. my ponytail would get shorter and shorter. no thanks.

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I have a trusted stylist back home for trims, any other hair disasters will be by my own hand.

Whether she has valid points or not, most cosmetologists aren't bothering to educate their clients that have been with them 2, 5, 10 years. To me they missed their chance to educate because they were unwilling to share what they knew.

Also if you are going to tell me what I am doing doesn't work, then you need to have a suggestion for me that really does work. They usually don't have that for me.

Just throwing around the word professional doesn't make it better, make it work or make it anything. Unfortunately a lot of them are part of the problem.

If the "professionals" as she calls it was doing their job with our hair in the first place, the "amateurs" on LHCF and many other forums/blogs/vlogs wouldn't have been created. It was created out of frustration with our hair...it wouldn't grow, it was dry and it cost us A LOT OF MONEY GOING TO THE PROFESSIONALS and our hair wasn't where we desired it to be.

In 2006, I got fed up with going to the "professionals" for my hair, where all they did was say "you must get a relaxer every 6 weeks" and then proceeded to cut off any hair that did grow, my hair has thrived and has grown to lengths I didn't know it could get too. I also saved a ton of money...so that I could buy my conditioners to do all my cowashings....:lol:

I think these "professionals" are getting frustrated with those who are going natural because most of the money they use to make...they aren't making any longer. I know that there are many that can't continue with their natural hair for whatever reason and go back to the relaxer, but at least they have the INFORMATION NOW to take care of their relaxed hair and their hair is NOW thriving and growing long.

The only part of her story that I can agree with is permanent hair color. It can be a beast whether you do it at home or at the salon. Being natural doesn't 'damage' your hair, but coloring sure can...I am a witness to this fact.

Be prepared for more articles like this from "professionals" who will make us think that our hair is a problem or that we don't know how to take care of it and we "amateurs" are messing up our hair. :rolleyes:

As you read the articles, with your healthy hair down your back, swinging it from side to side....get a cup of tea and watch the natural movement come under attack from every side. I promise you, you will be disappointed in what you read...but not surprised!

ETA: There are "Hair Professionals" on LHCF that are doing a great work and they are here participating here with us and not stoning us for doing what they know works for our hair!!!

Back