4z texturized or natural how do u do it?

Miosy

I'm ready to go bone straight :( I'm tired of the frizz, the long detangling process, those beautiful knots that comes with being natural. I'm tired of looking like a hot mess all the time :blush:

How do u deal with it :(

Bless your heart! Don't give up. I guess I can say that because I don't experience knots and styling my natural hair while it's wet makes it easy to deal with. I also use lots of love and my natural products made by me with love on my hair so it's really soft. It may be 4a-z but I love it. When I was bone straight I had very little hair on my head. Now that I'm natural, I have so much lusciousness, it's BEAUTIFUL. Maybe try a different regimen to make your hair more manageable and this is probably a phase. I have lost the desire to watch my hair grow but I've never gotten tired of my natural hair or lost the desire to remain natural. I feel I will be natural for life!

Girl I did it for 4 and a half months and could not take it anymore, then got a texturizer and absolutely love it. i got tired of looking like a mess.

I find that setting my hair while wet eliminates the frizziness. I'm mainly 4a-c (with random spriknles of other stuff), and I wet my hair, slather on a bunch of conditioner, then twist it up. It normally takes two days to dry this way, so I wear the twists for one day, then untwist and wear it out. Takes about 30 minutes to twist and will last about two to three days once I take the twists out.

When I don't want to do the "wet my hair" thing, I just make sure I invest 10 minutes to braid my hair each night and give it a heathy dose of shea butter for moisture.

That's it. The only time it's any more time consuming than this, is when I am trying to achieve a style that goes against what my curly/coily/kinky hair can naturally do. I try to keep this to a minimum. But I still find that it's very versatile.

You've really just gotta give it some time and go at it with the same amount of vigor you have when managing and getting to know your relaxed hair. In my opinion, relaxed hair only seems easier because that's what most people are use to.

For example: you have relaxed hair for 20 years, natural hair for 6 months...of course relaxed hair may "seem" easier when you've spent 20 years managing your hair in that state.

HTH

l've had my hair this way for 2 years, I'm 4b and a tiny bit of 4a in the back. I have mostly Zs and tight coils. I'm just tired of looking a mess. I can't leave it out because it's supper puffy and dry no matter what poo, conditioner, etc I use. It may last for a day but after that I'm a mess :(

l've had my hair this way for 2 years, I'm 4b and a tiny bit of 4a in the back. I have mostly Zs and tight coils. I'm just tired of looking a mess. I can't leave it out because it's supper puffy and dry no matter what poo, conditioner, etc I use. It may last for a day but after that I'm a mess :(

Miosy I'd kill for you hair. How do you wear it? Just down? See I'd be rocking puffs. Several puffs styled kinda like banding but then bent or wrapped around to create a beautiful bun. I'd be unstoppable. I love puffy hair. What leave-ins do you use? Some of the products that work for other naturals do not work for me, so perhaps you're following a regimen that works for another 4B but that doesn't work for yours? (We all learned today that one's 4B is not like another's 4B. :grin:) I was thrilled to bits to find out that one of my hair idols, Yassylane, has a regimen as simple as mine (no prepoos, no moisturizer, just wash, condition and braid) and her hair is what mine wants to be when it grows up.

There used to be a lady who was my idol for natural styles. Andrea? Does anyone remember the lady I'm talking about?

I straight know how you feel. At first (and sadly only) visit to a Dominican Salon, I talked to the stylist about a telelax to help me out with the frizz and managabililty. I have 3 something 'ish hair and the key for me is moisture and lots of conditioners made expressly for curly hair - I've lately only tried Herbal Essense's Totally Twisted and I like it. To tell you the truth, it is still a struggle; I haven't quite got it right, but I'm doing better than I was doing. I'm not sure if what I shared will be helpful but I do know we have the same type of challenges. Hang in there mama! :drunk:

What have you tried? Have you tried cowashing only? How often do you DC? How often do you moisturize? What kind of leave-in's do you use? How often do you clarify? How often do you use heat?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that our hair isn't inherently difficult, but it can be difficult when we don't treat it so that it can shine - and sometimes it's a long and winding road to figure out what works for it/us. And sometimes that includes accepting that with certain styles comes certain prices.....

Miosy I'd kill for you hair. How do you wear it? Just down? See I'd be rocking puffs. Several puffs styled kinda like banding but then bent or wrapped around to create a beautiful bun. I'd be unstoppable. I love puffy hair. What leave-ins do you use? Some of the products that work for other naturals do not work for me, so perhaps you're following a regimen that works for another 4B but that doesn't work for yours? (We all learned today that one's 4B is not like another's 4B. :grin:) I was thrilled to bits to find out that one of my hair idols, Yassylane, has a regimen as simple as mine (no prepoos, no moisturizer, just wash, condition and braid) and her hair is what mine wants to be when it grows up.

There used to be a lady who was my idol for natural styles. Andrea? Does anyone remember the lady I'm talking about?

But my puffs don't look nice :( boo hoo...

Anyway, for leave-ins when I flat iron I spray some chi leave in and silk drops which is pretty much one a week unless I am in extentions or a weave.

When I let dry-I used qhemet olive oil(my hair was hard to dry), NTM leave in (same results), mango butter, coconut oil, etc the list can go on forever.

What have you tried? Have you tried cowashing only? How often do you DC? How often do you moisturize? What kind of leave-in's do you use? How often do you clarify? How often do you use heat?

quote]

I wash once a week and co washes is okay, I haven't found the right conditioner to do it with-I recently tried VO5 clarifying conditioner which seems to get my hair clean so I probably will stick to this rather than poos.

I deep condition every wash with Nexxus Humectress which pretty much is the only conditoner for now that my hair is responding to. I clarify about once a month or if I have heavy buld up.

I am guilty of using heat once a week just to keep my hair looking neat.

I have to find a picture-I'll post it but its a hot mess :grin:

Just want to send you a hug, 5 months ago I was in your position feeling very frustrated. Since texturizing it's as though a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I now have a lot more good hair days. I never really had too much trouble with knots though so I imagine that is very frustrating. I think as my hair gets longer, I will eventually go more texlaxed, just taking it one day at a time. I hope you figure things out. Are you currently natural? What is your current length? Do you have any pictures? You may also have some heat damage as well which can really have your hair acting funky.

Yes to the bolded, I know who your are talking about, she had the most beautiful braid out or twist out. I have her album in my favorites but I'm out of town so I can't share her link.

Just want to send you a hug, 5 months ago I was in your position feeling very frustrated. Since texturizing it's as though a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I now have a lot more good hair days. I never really had too much trouble with knots though so I imagine that is very frustrating. I think as my hair gets longer, I will eventually go more texlaxed, just taking it one day at a time. I hope you figure things out. Are you currently natural? What is your current length? Do you have any pictures? You may also have some heat damage as well which can really have your hair acting funky.

Thanks :) I am frustrated and I've been fighting this hair thing too long :(

Right now I'm more natural than texurized-I am 18 weeks post and my hair pretty much shrinks to a dry frizzy fro. My length right now I think its past shoulder length, I cut it last summer to my neck. This is my hair flat ironed straight. Let me see if I can find a picture of my hair freshly washed w/o being flat ironed..

7_08Aftertrim.jpg

Here is a wet hair one from last year right before i roller set
1_08wethair_length.jpg

Last edited:
I'm ready to go bone straight :( I'm tired of the frizz, the long detangling process, those beautiful knots that comes with being natural. I'm tired of looking like a hot mess all the time :blush:

How do u deal with it :(

If I detangle thoroughly once a week and fingercomb throughout the week, each detangling process is relatively short. If I stay on top of detangling my hair regularly, knots aren't an issue either. I embrace my texture, so frizz, kink, naps, etc., are all considered beautiful to me and not something I get tired of.

I don't miss my relaxed days at ALL, so when I get tired of doing my hair, I throw it in some cute twists or braids for a week or two. Relaxing or straightening my hair regularly is never an option for me. There are so many beautiful natural styles out there that there is no reason to look like a "hot mess all the time." You just have to experiment with different looks until you find one you like. Don't give up! :)

You've really just gotta give it some time and go at it with the same amount of vigor you have when managing and getting to know your relaxed hair. In my opinion, relaxed hair only seems easier because that's what most people are use to.

For example: you have relaxed hair for 20 years, natural hair for 6 months...of course relaxed hair may "seem" easier when you've spent 20 years managing your hair in that state.

HTH

Excellent point. ITA. :yep:

Thanks :) I am frustrated and I've been fighting this hair thing too long :(

Right now I'm more natural than texurized-I am 18 weeks post and my hair pretty much shrinks to a dry frizzy fro. My length right now I think its past shoulder length, I cut it last summer to my neck. This is my hair flat ironed straight. Let me see if I can find a picture of my hair freshly washed w/o being flat ironed..

7_08Aftertrim.jpg

Here is a wet hair one from last year right before i roller set
1_08wethair_length.jpg

Ok, now I don't really know about relaxers to much, but are you "underprocessed"? I was just reading your post and lookin at your hair, and it looks texlaxed. Why not ask some of the relaxed ladies how to handle this, corrective maybe? or are you saying that you are transitioning out of a texlax and you are 18 wks post? I guess I am confusing myself. Well good luck to ya anyway :)

I transition 3yrs ago. I texturize my hair-its probably straighter from flat ironig so much. I had my hair in extentions over the summer so I'm right now 18 weeks post. Maybe this is why my hair is a puffy mess :)

I guess I am looking of the magic products but haven't found it yet. I was hoping to find a magic potion for me hair but I haven't. I'll decide this weekend what to do-I'm going back to work on Tues. and I just something quick and easy

OP how do you wear your hair right now?
Maybe you could invest in a good flatiron and wear your hair straight. The only gel that works on my frizz is EcoStyler. Thank God its so inexpensive!

So you are texturized with 18 weeks since your last touch up? How do you wear your hair, did I miss that? How about twists, braids, braid outs or twist outs?

So you are texturized with 18 weeks since your last touch up? How do you wear your hair, did I miss that? How about twists, braids, braid outs or twist outs?

I just saw ur bun video-hmmm-that's something I can try. We have the same texture :)

I usually wear my hair in a bun but I flat iron once a week because my hair dries out much quicker if I don't. My braidouts come out puffy. I can try a twist but I'm not sure how to style it. :( Guess I really need to embrace my drama hair :)

Last edited:
OP...your hair is in BEAUTIFUL condition. So thick, healthy, and long. Perhaps a texturizer or even getting it hot combed can help you manage it. As the hair grows longer, it presents new challenges, so do whatever it is you need to get it looking good and easy to style for you.

LOL...at "guilty" for using heat. It's no crime! If that works for you, fine. Perhaps plaiting your hair and doing various bun styles will help. Even if you do the usual bun at the back, plaiting the hair 1st can save many tangles and knots that happen in loose bunned hair.

Hmmm...my hair was a hot mess when texlaxed...my natural hair is waaaaaay easier to deal with than the texlaxed stuff.

My recommendation: either go all the way natural or go bone straight. I had more tangles and dryness texlaxed than I do now as a natural. With your texture (which is similar to mine), texturizing isn't going to give you curls and ringlets, just frizz, fuzz, and a headache!

You're going to have to decide exactly what you want to do. If you want to keep transitioning, it's going to be hard because you are dealing with two textures. If you BC, you will be better able to detangle, wash, condition, and style your hair.

Okay, maybe you already answered this question but are you transitioning or just stretching? When you first texturized were you happy or have you been having trouble all along the way? If you are just stretching I think you need to go ahead and give yourself a touch-up. If you are transitioning then you are going to have to treat your hair more like it's natural, more braids and twists and such, lots of protective styles until you cut off the texturized ends. Oh and your hair is just beautiful:yep:, you said you were past sl, but you are way past sl, actually past apl and on your way to bsl IMO.

Hmmm...my hair was a hot mess when texlaxed...my natural hair is waaaaaay easier to deal with than the texlaxed stuff.

My recommendation: either go all the way natural or go bone straight. I had more tangles and dryness texlaxed than I do now as a natural. With your texture (which is similar to mine), texturizing isn't going to give you curls and ringlets, just frizz, fuzz, and a headache!

You're going to have to decide exactly what you want to do. If you want to keep transitioning, it's going to be hard because you are dealing with two textures. If you BC, you will be better able to detangle, wash, condition, and style your hair.

I'm Transitioning now and I have also realized that. My new growth is so much softer and easier to comb thru than my texlaxed ends. I can't wait to BC! BTW Love your hair!!

Back