4a/4b natural hair: What is a good moisturizer, co-wash, and sealer.

Coil Tresses

Currently I am co-washing with Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Conditioner. It smells cool, not as good as the regular conditioner, and it don't leave my hair with the "slip" I'm looking for.

As far as a moisturizer I've been using Cantu leave in conditioner, with all the protein it has my hair a rougher texture, but it does curl my lil hair up.

And for sealing in all the moisture, I've been using jojoba, but I find it too light.

I'm looking for a good "slip" conditioner to co-wash with.
An excellent moisturizer & an oil to seal in the moisture.
What do you ladies use? and what benefits do you get?

Thanks...

For conditioners, I use anything that says it's for dry hair. I really don't have a "favorite". Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Organix Pomegranate, AO HSR (but I use this mostly for DCing or conditioning) are examples of conditioners I have owned or own now and have used to condition or CW.

For moisturizer, I only use it when wearing my hair out and I only love one: S Curl No-Drip Activator ie the spray. Applying this to damp hair on wash day dries up a bit hard, but after I braid my hair for the night and baggy, after applying some more to soften my hair, my hair stays soft the next day and the next and the next... without my ever needing to reapply.

I haven't used anything to seal my hair yet but I do know Msa, a fellow 4B-er (miss her :cry4: ) used water as her moisturizer and Castor Oil to seal it in and she said her hair remained soft and moisturized. I'm yet to try this.

For me HE Hello Hydration wins hands down on slip. Cheapie VO5s are great too. I've recently tried the Passion Fruit Smoothie flavour. Loves it!

For me I think I've learnt that apart from the moisturizer, the way I moisturize is also important. I've started using Chicoro's moisturizing method and I couldn't be happier, for some people it's moisturizing then baggying as Nonie mentioned that works. So sometimes, maybe changing your technique instead of the product will work in your favour.

At the moment I'm using:

S-curl No Drip spray (thanks Nonie!!)
Coconut oil and Emu oil Mix
Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer

^^ in that order.

I am fairly new to being natural, but so far I am using:

Pantene original or Suave Vanilla for cowash
Mango Butter or HS 14 n 1
Amla Oil

I hair feels awfully dry by the end of the day, so I am thinking of switching the conditioner.

I haven't used anything to seal my hair yet but I do know Msa, a fellow 4B-er (miss her :cry4: ) used water as her moisturizer and Castor Oil to seal it in and she said her hair remained soft and moisturized. I'm yet to try this.

i miss her too

Hey there, I am 4b as well.. I use water and then seal with vatika coconut oil then baggy at night.. it's been working well for me in this cold weather..
I co wash if my hair is in cornrows.. but in twists I get tangles so don't cowash..
WHen I do cowash I use Hello Hydration.. or anything that says it's for dry hair..

S curl is a great moisturizer although not something I use ALL the time.

JBCO to seal. Love this oil it's a staple!

I am a 4 sthg. Still getting products that I like but...
I use any conditioner that is moisturising but I love Pantene, it works for me. Just got Enliven from the £ store so ill be trying this.
As a leave in my favourite product is my Cantu Leave In or just diluted conditioner.
Seal: Shea butter mix (Shea butter, coconut oil and mango butter)

For me, it has been African Royale BRX Braid Spray, Aussie Moist Conditioner, and Hot 6 Oil.

Moisturizer that works for me is :: mango qp butter, i thin it out with either water or coconut oil, since i have fine 4/a strands that dont need much product.. or i will simply mist on water on coconut oil.

for cowashing i use:: Suave Humetecant or Tressme Moisture rich... i just bought organix coconut milk conditioner to co wash with alternativley as well.

for sealing: coconut oil, olive oil, or castor oil...<<< my fav.

Water is the best moisturizer, I always mix my Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla leave-in conditioner with a lot of mineral water and aloe vera gel. I think almond oil is a good sealer.

I don't co-wash. I moisturize with the Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream, and I seal with KBB hair oil.

I don't have much experience with conditioner washing but when I tried it the product that worked best was Nacidit Aceite de Oliva...it was the actual créme rinse and not the conditioner. My hair was very soft and moisturized...it detangled well. I tried an Organix conditioner (the tea tree formula) and wasn't impressed. For moisturizing, I'm using what I used three years ago: African Royale BRX Braid Spray (tea tree oil formula) diluted with spring/distilled water sealed with mango butter (the actual butter mixed with oils and sodium lactate).

For me HE Hello Hydration wins hands down on slip. Cheapie VO5s are great too. I've recently tried the Passion Fruit Smoothie flavour. Loves it!

For me I think I've learnt that apart from the moisturizer, the way I moisturize is also important. I've started using Chicoro's moisturizing method and I couldn't be happier, for some people it's moisturizing then baggying as Nonie mentioned that works. So sometimes, maybe changing your technique instead of the product will work in your favour.

At the moment I'm using:

S-curl No Drip spray (thanks Nonie!!)
Coconut oil and Emu oil Mix
Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer

^^ in that order.

What is Chicoro's moisturizing method?

For me, it has been African Royale BRX Braid Spray, Aussie Moist Conditioner, and Hot 6 Oil.

I thought I was the only one around these parts using African Royale!
I am going to try that Hawaiian 14-1 when my current bottle of African Royal runs out. Have u tried it?

I am currently using either Vo5 moisture milks conditioner or the kimmaytube leave-in to moisturize and Crisco to seal.

Co wash conditioner: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration or Aussie Moist. They both give excellent slip and are pretty inexpensive.

Moisturizer: Kinky curly knot today for a leave in. It is also excellent to detangle hair with.

Sealing: If you want to use an oil, I would recommend castor oil. A little goes a long way. No need to be heavy handed otherwise your hair may end up being oily. :nono: If you want to try a butter, I LOVE naptural85 shea butter mix. (probably the best thing i've tried for sealing in moisture :yep:)

I have a house full of type 4 heads - myself and my 3 DDs. Here's our list:

Co-Washing Conditioners:
-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (Length & Strength)
-Tresemme (black bottle)

Moisturizers (always applied to damp hair):
-Chicorro's Mix** we tend to use this in the summer, b/c of the glycerin (water, conditioner, glycerin, castor oil, safflower oil) - no need to follow this up with a sealer
-SheaMoisture Restorative Conditioner
-QB Amla & Oil Heavy Cream*** best moisturizer ever - no need for anything else! (but too pricey for everyday)
-Cantu Leave-in

Sealer:
-Castor oil** the only oil that keeps the moisture sealed in our hair long-term ---consistent for all 4 of us.

HTH

Last edited:
I use water/rose water, sebum, and I'll add a drop of coconut oil to my ends if they feel dry. I don't use conditioner. By washing with water only and not using much product I've found that I don't need conditioner.

moisturizer/leave-in:
oyin hair dew
darcy's botanicals leave-in
komaza care shea butter lotion or cococut curl lotion
claudies revitalizer isha hair cream, quinoa coffee balancing cream, murimuru acai hair butter
qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream

oils to seal:
evoo
evco
kukui
meadowfoam
jojoba
castor or blk castor oil
sesame
hemp
sapote

Aussie Moist is a great conditioner. I'm mad I didn't buy it sooner. My hair loves it.

Cantu is a protein and it dries my hair out! I can't use it at all. My leave in right now is Oyin Hair Dew. I also mix it with water and glycerin and spray my hair before I get in the shower. I also have Hair One and think it's pretty good. I just use too much for the price.

My hands down fav oil of all times is olive oil. My hair loves loves this stuff!

Co-Wash:
*As I am Coconut Co Wash (my new favorite, orgininally bought it for my daughter, but I my hair fell in love with it)

Moisturizer
*S Curl
*As I Am Leave In Conditioner
*As I Am Double Buttercream (I use in the AM when styling my hair)

Seal
*Olive Oil
*Dabur Vatika Oil
*Enjoy Intensive Hair and Skin Treatment Oil

I just learned about As I Am, so I am still in my As I Am craze phase :)

Back