4 a/b Naturals: Found a remedy for my tangles and knots

SweetNic_JA

I've been wearing out my natural hair for almost 3 months, and I finally learned how to address the issue of tangles and knots. This problem is probably most common with 4a/4b naturals having fine, s-patterned hair. Well the solution is easyyy conditioning washing in the shower + combing hair with a large toothed bone comb.

I used the Treseme' moisture rich conditioner :)

My hair felt a lot lighter (i.e less dense) because it was enfused with moisture. I haven't felt any knots since I started this regime.

Last edited:
Are you talking about multiple strand knots, or single strand knots (also called Fairy knots)??? I've been doing the conditioning/combing bit - but if I leave my hair out for even a day, I get SOOOOOO many single strand knots, where a strand of hair has twisted around itself and formed a knot.

So what was more helpful? The product (Tresemme) or the technique (coming/detangling in the shower)? I ask because I got A LOT of conditioners.... what makes this conditioner more moisturizing or whatever else than the others? I had not been detangling as often but when I do, it is usually in the shower anyway....

I have the same pattern of hair as you describe. I just don't want to run out and get another conditioner. Also, does this conditioner have cones? That will make a difference with regard to co-washing vs. co-rinsing.

Thanks for the tip!

nappywomyn said:
Are you talking about multiple strand knots, or single strand knots (also called Fairy knots)??? I've been doing the conditioning/combing bit - but if I leave my hair out for even a day, I get SOOOOOO many single strand knots, where a strand of hair has twisted around itself and formed a knot.

Both. I get single strang and multi-strand knots and both kinds seem to have completely disappeared, and I can finger through my hair much easier.

How long is your hair? I have 6-8 stretched and I'm not having any trouble. Maybe it's because I follow up with an s-curl product everyday. This helps alot. Also, when I'm not too tired, I plait my hair in big plaits before I head to bed.

RelaxerRehab said:
So what was more helpful? The product (Tresemme) or the technique (coming/detangling in the shower)? I ask because I got A LOT of conditioners.... what makes this conditioner more moisturizing or whatever else than the others? I had not been detangling as often but when I do, it is usually in the shower anyway....

I have the same pattern of hair as you describe. I just don't want to run out and get another conditioner. Also, does this conditioner have cones? That will make a difference with regard to co-washing vs. co-rinsing.

Thanks for the tip!
I don't think the brand matters, though Tresemme is the only conditioner I use. You should be okay with any brand so long as it's a good moisturizing conditioner.

I'll check the bottle in the morning to see if there are any cones.

I actually purchased 2 bottles of TRESemme last Friday at Walgreens for $4 each (32oz)....I just started using it for my daily co-wash. :)

SweetNic_JA said:
Both. I get single strang and multi-strand knots and both kinds seem to have completely disappeared, and I can finger through my hair much easier.

How long is your hair? I have 6-8 stretched and I'm not having any trouble. Maybe it's because I follow up with an s-curl product everyday. This helps alot. Also, when I'm not too tired, I plait my hair in big plaits before I head to bed.

Ya know, I REALLY think it just might be the length of my hair - I was reading somewhere, and someone said that she had the WORST knots from 5 inches to 7 inches, and then they just started vanishing. I certainly hope that is the case.....I'd love to be able to wear my hair out more.

I'm gonna get that conditioner and the bone comb. These knots are killing me!!! It's the only problem I'm having with my hair.

I have major knots and tangles and i trim all the time i am love my natural hair but the knots and tangles are making me want to get a perm

when i do a shake and go when i shake in the shower little knots fly every where

my mother told me on christmas eve to get out of the kitchen before i drop a hair ball:(
and i have not used heat on my hair since oct 2

i don't know what else to try i just tried the organics shea butter detangler but it makes my hair dry i feel like giving up HELP!!!

SweetNic_JA said:

Wow. I could have typed that out because that is exactly what I do (minus using Tresemme). Unfortunately, I stillll get nasty knots! Singles & multis. The multi's are THE absolute worst because they tend to knot halfway up my strand. :ohwell:

Any more suggestions, ladies?

(Side: My hair is actually texturized, but there isn't much difference from when I was natural. I went from a 4b to a 4a lol)

My daughter has extremely thick hair, which is very dry.
I treied the Mane ans Tale
After washing her hair with the shampoo, I rinse
add the mane and tale rinse again immediately
Towel dry, add about 50 cent size of mane and tale conditioner
leave in her hair and add more if needed.
Plait or braid
The next morning her hair is like silk.
Please read the MNT challenge thread.
Oh if you have a family dollar store near you, it's only 3.00 each.
My daughters hair has never felt like this wven after 20 and thirty min
deep conditioners.
Sorry to be so long.:grin: :grin: :grin:

divadoll237 said:
My daughter has extremely thick hair, which is very dry.
I treied the Mane ans Tale
After washing her hair with the shampoo, I rinse
add the mane and tale rinse again immediately
Towel dry, add about 50 cent size of mane and tale conditioner
leave in her hair and add more if needed.
Plait or braid
The next morning her hair is like silk.
Please read the MNT challenge thread.
Oh if you have a family dollar store near you, it's only 3.00 each.
My daughters hair has never felt like this wven after 20 and thirty min
deep conditioners.
Sorry to be so long.:grin: :grin: :grin:

Can you post a link to the challenge? I'm only finding threads from years back. TIA! :)

Hey SweetNic, I have 8+/- inches of hair as well and my hair is very dense too. Now get ready...Poohbear the Questionairre has some questions for ya...

How much of the conditioner do you apply to your hair?
Do you comb through your hair every single day?
What type of bone comb do you use (do you have a picture of it)??
After rinsing out the conditioner, do you shake your hair, towel dry, or let it drip?
How do you apply your s-curl product after cowashing without causing frizz?
Do you have any shedding/breakage from combing?

That's all for now. :D

kinchen said:
I have major knots and tangles and i trim all the time i am love my natural hair but the knots and tangles are making me want to get a perm

when i do a shake and go when i shake in the shower little knots fly every where

my mother told me on christmas eve to get out of the kitchen before i drop a hair ball:(
and i have not used heat on my hair since oct 2

i don't know what else to try i just tried the organics shea butter detangler but it makes my hair dry i feel like giving up HELP!!!

sorry, had to laugh at that, b/c it sounds like something my mom would say.

Is your hair shedding or breaking or both or is it just the knots that are coming out :perplexed ?

The single strand knots in my hair reduced greatly when I did the following:
1. Caved in and got a much needed trim due to rough and split ends.
2. Co-wash and DETANGLE thoroughly. If I want to detangle to the next level I use my denman. People are scared of denmans but the reality is - it's not going to take out healthy hair - only hair that was coming out anyway and shed hair (not saying shed hair is unhealthy! but hopefully you get my drift)
3. Two strand twist my damp, co-washed and conditioned hair using lots of moisturizing leave-in and sealing with oils.
4. No wash and go's EVER. I am perfectly confident rocking twists (accessorised with hair jewellery, scares etc) for a few days then twist outs (which do not tangle or knot as they are stretched). I love my twist outs and do not miss wash and go hair AT ALL. LOL!
What I have found very interesting and enlightening is that my 7 year old daughter who has natural, healthy 4b hair has NEVER had a knot in her hair ever. It's never been chemically treated just occasionally blown out with a hand dryer. So- do healthy ends equal NO KNOTS?

Wow. I could have typed that out because that is exactly what I do (minus using Tresemme). Unfortunately, I stillll get nasty knots! Singles & multis. The multi's are THE absolute worst because they tend to knot halfway up my strand. :ohwell:

Any more suggestions, ladies?

(Side: My hair is actually texturized, but there isn't much difference from when I was natural. I went from a 4b to a 4a lol)

I am a bit surprised to see that you are text. because I had to do something myself because of my knots as well! I text. 2 months ago for 3 min. just to eliminate the knots. I could not deal with them! But since I text. I've noticed that I have not one single knot! Anywhere!!! And my hair is thriving!!!! What may I ask are you using to moist. after u cond.?

What results/ effects are people seeing with s-curl?

Are you talking about the activator or the moist? Since I am now considered textlaxed after applying it and rinsing out after 3 min. My hair is thriving but I use moist. everyday twice a day! My hair is extremely dry for some reason, but the s curl moist is ok, but honestly I prefer the HS 14 n 1, thanks Tiffers!!!! which works even better on my hair since I text. it! Sometimes my scalp get extremely dry as well and I use the Indian oils on it, but that is limited to once a week! I don't do any cw or pre poo treatments, but I do dc for 30-45 min once a week and that's helpled as well! I have been thinking about upping my dc to 2x a week but have yet! Also, the best dc cond for me is the Le Kair cholesterol cond.

Also, I do not spray the moist. directly on my hair, I spray it in the palms of my hand and rub them together and apply it that way! I don't like it directly applied to my hair because I tend to be a bit heavy handed doing it that way!

The Kiya fizzle is the best thing that has ever happened to my hair for knots and tangles. I use a teaspoon of kosher salt in about a 1/4 cup of my nature's gate jojoba revitalizing condish (my own ratio, you can read the threads and see what others use). I rinse my hair thorougly in the shower, apply the condish and salt mixture in small sections, put on a plastic cap, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, rinse and detangle under the shower stream. Now, I have come to terms with the idea that with curly or highly textured hair, there will be some tangling no matter what. ( thanks flowerhair) 10 minutes out of the shower, my hair will find it's way into another tangle and as long as it isn't knotty, its just fine by me.

Back