2nd Day Twist Out/Braid Out/W&G

Isis77

Hello Ladies!

So I'm in the process of transitioning from texlaxed to natural (8 months Post so far! :grin:) but I'm having issues retaining a style into the second day.

I'll do a twist out/ braid out/ w&g and that night I'll do a light moisturizer (Nutrigena Triple Moisture Leave-in) and seal my ends (Unrefined Shea Butter) and tie my hair back with a scarf and the next morning my hair is so smushed up I need to run water through it just to revive my curls! :wallbash: thus, defeating the purpose of aiming for "2nd day hair"

I've even tried just sleeping on my satin pillow case w/o tying it back, and it still comes out funky!

I'd really like to just be able to wake up in the mornings, fluff, spritz a little H2O + light moisturizer and go but it seems that the only thing that works on a daily basis is a complete hair soak down if I want curl definition.

I'm slowly chopping off my texlaxed ends b/c I've noticed that they're stringy but I was wondering if they might also be hindering my 2nd day hair goal as well.

Any suggestions?

(The only thing that seems to work is twisting/braiding sections nightly and sealing, but that's a little too much manipulation so I'm at a loss.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Girl, I wish I had the answer, but I don't. I'm relaxed (considering transitioning) and been rocking twistouts for about a month straight. I'm retwisting nightly and it's a pain. My twistouts only last one day.

I hope someone has the answers.

bumpity bump....

Thanks for the response! Twisting nightly is too much for me too, so hopefully someone will help us out on this one!

:bump::bump::bump:

Have you tried sleeping with a bonnet? I am natural though so my curls may hold a little but I sleep with a satin bonnet and my curls hold.

Yeah, some people just don't get 2nd day hair.

That's the lovely thing about being a 4something natural, my hair keeps styles pretty easily. I can do a bantu knot out and it'll last for 3 days.

But, when I want to refresh it I just do like 6 or 7 large bantu knots, and not the original 15 or so. It turns out great and it doesn't feel like too much manipulation to me.

The other thing I do if I don't like my hair in the morning is a pin up style, instead of leaving it out. Those are easy and quick.

You know, you are the second person (the first was a coworker who is a natural) to suggest a bonnet. I'll seriously have to try that. I just assumed that my hair was being smushed b/c I sleep on my sides and back often.

Thanks TCatt86!!!

And msa, it's funny b/c a good portion of my roots (about 3-4inches so far) are what looks to be 4a and it doesn't really flatten much (not nearly as badly as my still texlaxed ends) and I had assumed that my roots were just to close to my scalp to get flattened but maybe it really is the difference in texture...

Thank you too!

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I did a bantu twist out with Aphogee style & wrap mousse http://www.aphogee.com/Style_Wrap_Mousse.aspx I applied it on dry flat ironed hair then twisted and I didn't have to re-twist until about the 3rd day. Every morning rubbed some jojoba over the hair massage the scalp and I'm done. Mind you I was about 10 months post http://public.fotki.com/1babydimple/braid_bantu/curlyjan2009.html

Oh and I also sleep with a bonnet.

WOW! That looks beautiful! I'll definitely have to try that as well. (I just need to learn how to do bantu twists :look:)

Back