2nd Attempt at Shingling was Successful!! (PICS)

Ediese

1st attempt
The first time I shingled in March I still had alot of relaxed ends. That's actually what made me start chopping off the relaxed ends. I used Knot Today and Kinky Curly Custard, but I didn't really like it. The KCC left my hair really sticky, and the curls weren't as defined.

2nd attempt
Today, I decided to try it again, but this time I cowashed with Hello Hyrdation Blue Orchard Coconut Milk conditioner. I rinsed out all the conditioner. I then started applying my staple Fantasia IC gel. I started in the back, and sectioned off 1" sections and applied a lot of gel at the root and smoothed it down to the tip of that section with my thumb and index finger. I did that until I got to the top. It took me about 20 minutes to finish. The ends of my hair is dry, but the roots are still a little wet. I'll pull it apart when it completely dries.

Here is what I've discovered about my hair so far.
I'm a natural 4a, but my hair tends to clump together whenever I try to define my curls. I have some heat damage on the left side of my hair from when I got my hair pressed in December. The front of my hair where my bang falls is a much looser texture. It doesn't curl as much.

Here are some pics. I have more in my fotki. I'm not going to inundate you guys with pics again. lol

This is the gel I used.

Halfway done.

Front.

Back

Left

Right

Dry Hair (just took these at work)

Last edited:
Inundate me! Inundate me! I wanna seeeeeeee!!!!!!! I love it! I am sooo off to get some of this IC stuff!!! Just beautiful!

Looks great!

* Where's the first attempt? I wanna see the method since I'm new to the natural game and need a tutorial for myself. I'd guess I'm 4a too... and my hair clumps like yours when I use my denman.

Looks great!

* Where's the first attempt? I wanna see the method since I'm new to the natural game and need a tutorial for myself. I'd guess I'm 4a too... and my hair clumps like yours when I use my denman.

I pinned it up the first time because I didn't like it.

Here's the video showing you how to do it. You don't have to use those products. Also, I didn't use a hair dryer/diffuser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02R7n77kHQ

Last edited:
Good job!!

How is this gel different from others? Does it make your hair stiff?
I always see people use this for shingling and I always wanted to try.

Good job!!

How is this gel different from others? Does it make your hair stiff?
I always see people use this for shingling and I always wanted to try.

I can only compare it to the KCCC. The IC gel did leave my hair a little crunchy after I shingled, but it's not sticky or drying. The KCCC was very sticky to the touch, and I'm not sure if I didn't use enough because my hair still got frizzy.

Back