2010 LESSONS...... equals 2011 BLESSINGS?????

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

NAME THE #1 lessons you've learned
"about your hair" in 2010
that will surely
change your hair journey (or practices)
in 2011!

product or practice that was causing tangles? costing you hair retention? increasing SSK's?

a PRODUCT you found that could replace your baby daddy? (go elle!:grin:)

things you loved that just doesn't cut it?

info you learned in 2010 that will surely
change you hair life in 2011

no matter what they are.......
name ANY 2010 hair lessons that you're flipping into
hair blessings!

Last edited:
No more haircuts!!

I lost about 1.5" from a DIY haircut, that's why my hair is growing in a V. My hair was blunt before I messed it up and now every time I look in the mirror I'm reminded of how much longer and fuller my hair could have been. :sad:

I attempted to cut layers. All of it was the length of my longest layer. I will only do s&d from now on and do curlformers when I get bored.

CERAMIDES!​

Best thing since deep conditioner. I'm kind of glad I had serious porosity issues this year, thats what led me to incorporate them into my reggie :yep:

Lessons learned:

-there is no reason for me to cut my hair since i did not make much progess this year.
-co-washing only works for me in the summer but not in the colder months
-protectives are key for growth
-heat is not my enemy but must use wisely
-my hair hates pure organic coconut oil and aloe vera juice
-found my staple products (qhemet's biologics)
-I don't need to take biotin nor msm for hair growth b/c my face doesn't like them. A simple multivitamin will do
-protein/moisture balance for healthy hair
-what works for some may not work for me.

What I'm doing for next year:

-keeping it mad simple-protective styling, wash & con every two weeks, apply growth aid (megatek) every couple days, moisturize/seal. Trim 3 times a year.

i've learned the goodness of pH balancing my hair.... part of that goodness was simply that my hair HEARTS aloe vera juice like no other!!! my hair began to flip the script quite a bit with this method.... and i feel as though my hair is healthier than ever in my life...
i use way less moisture these days..... despite my once feeling as though i couldn't live without a steamer in my life.... now i hardly need the thing
--- yet i need to get back on that regularly b/c i have new ideas on POSSIBLY healing my itchy scalp!

i've learned yes i am obsessed w/ trimming, buying products, and making threads:rofl::rofl: and yep yep... all have their benefits, i just need to pull back a bit! :look:

i definitely cut a lot of my progress (dusting weekly)... but I don't face a lot of the setbacks and damage others may have due to my blunt cut ends:yep:

i love ceramides! i absolutely have needed no additional protein with the way that I've implemented them as leave ins...
but i've also learned there can be too much of any good thing! my hair is tuff az nails:ohwell:

i've learned my love for micro's had to end with this natural hair journey.... apart of my leave in & moisture routine.... along with frequent washing (scalp reasons)... my hair locks super fast ...its a no-no!!!
*****on to half- wigs in 2011?????:lick:

fell in love love love w/ kckt & qhemet aohc.... hoping to add honey hemp as a new love... will see!

Last edited:
one important thing.....

the hair texture threads MADE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH BLACK HAIR!!!

i had never....ever....EVER in my life seen black people with such beautiful hair! I started those threads in efforts to end some questions... and I prayed to end some of the fights & confusion (thus my constant plea for no comments.....NOT to control the thread.... but to ensure everyone a positive experience was possible)
I'm still not into hair typing (just not really that interested either way really)... but the results floored me like nothing else

black people are so unique and beautiful.... so for anyone who knows me personally would understand the Andre's (or anyone else's) typing system could ever stick me "in a box"
So I was neither impressed or offended by the "typing" system

3A or 3A/3B HAIR TYPING THREAD

3B ONLY HAIR TYPING THREAD

3B/3C MIXED HAIR TYPING THREAD

3C ONLY HAIR TYPING THREAD

3C/4A MIXED HAIR TYPING THREAD

4A ONLY HAIR TYPING THREAD

4A/4B MIXED HAIR TYPING THREAD

4B ONLY HAIR TYPING THREAD

4C/4Cnapp HAIR TYPING THREAD

this thread "FOR ME" however was the best kept secret of not only 2010.... but my entire life as a black women.... even at my age :nono: I never knew our hair.....

"OUR HAIR" COULD LOOK LIKE THIS!!!!!!

so 2009 was all about my being ASTONISHED with the great lengths that I found black women to be growing......

BUT 2010 was all about TEXTURE BABY!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Although I'm still tweaking my regi and learning what prods my hair likes/dislikes, I've learned:
- No bandwagons. Read, decide for myself and incorporate things slowly.
- Zero breakage is an absolute impossibility (for me). Hair will break no matter how gentle you are, so expecting zero breakage is very unrealistic (for me).
- Stretching beyond 12 weeks is not wise until I learn better technique.
- Shampooing my hair is 4 quadrants reduces tangles significantly.
- KISS with the regi. Less is more.
- PS is great for growth and retention.
- Protein/Moisture balance is important.
- Most of all, relax...it's only hair.

thehairlab...when I read the title of the thread, I knew it was a thread started by you. You have the neatest phrases and threads.

I would have to say learning from those who are self relaxed so I won't have any major setbacks when I become relaxed in Jan..Your rock TheHairlab

- pH balance was one major thing! My hair also loves Aloe vera juice!
- The other thing I learnt is not to jump on bandwagons.....slow and steady wins the race.

And I've fallen so in love with natural hair this year that I decided to transition from January. Now I'm 12 months post relaxer!

i have to just remember to leave my hair alone and it will do fine- cosigning on u having my favorite threads hairlab

My hair grows way tooo slow so I'll have to take extra steps for faster growth.
I need to deep conditioner twice a week.
I shouldn't relax no later than every 4 months.

My hair grows way tooo slow so I'll have to take extra steps for faster growth.
I need to deep conditioner twice a week.
I shouldn't relax no later than every 4 months.

great point!!! i'm no longer relaxed....

but the 1st thing I tried was the long stretches... and some of those who are just beginning their hair journey as a Relaxed head.... must understand not everyone can endure the super long stretches----> without implementing other extraordinary practices

My hair would shed... shed... and SHED! SO if you aren't controlling the tangles and shedding.... u need to get that box of lye out alot sooner:look: (4-real-do')

i learned very quickly that errrrybody ain't Sylver2:perplexed

You can't see the results you want if you're not going to put in the effort. With that said...I thought I was going to be cute this semester and wear my hair out almost daily. Did I see much retention?...No. So I'm starting 2011 off with a protective style. Stretching my relaxers even longer and really getting serious about my hair.

I've learned that no matter how excited I get about length after flat ironing, I GOT to have at least three days of protective styling each week. After a relaxer, I SO want to wear my hair down each and every day, but I lost a lot of hair last winter showing off.

I've also discovered great products for my hair: Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Silk Elements MegaSilk and Philip B Deep Conditioning Rinse (got large bottles of this from Marshalls on the cheap-cheap).

Oh, not doing the Aphogee Hard Treatment a week before a relaxer results is SERIOUS shedding for me.

1. I'm glad I am transitioning. I don't miss relaxing my hair, which was surprising.

2. I don't miss the salon at all.

3. Making my own products have saved me time, money, and energy.

4. PJism is bad. Product discovery is good. It's all about context :lachen:.

5. Vo5 Moisture Milks no longer appeal to me. Suave and Herbal Essences are family members now.

6. Deep conditioning once a week without heat for at least an hour works for me.

7. Ayurvedic herbs are awesome!

8. Aloe Vera gel/juice, water, peppermint oil, and rosemary oils = heaven:lick:.

9. I don't miss heat, which was strange for me.

10. Comebacks to questions about why I'm transition to natural come naturally (don't excuse the pun) to me now.

I take this with me. Rolling on to 2011!

I have learned that detangling properly and thoroughly is imperative to my retention.

For me, detangling properly and thoroughly means:

1. Using a paddle brush instead of a comb to detangle

2. Detangling with creamy products and not watery products

3. Detangling before (not after) I finish washing my hair

4. Making sure that I remove ALL of the shed hairs

I have also learned that it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that I keep my hair stretched as much as possible, hence the reason #2 is so important.

For me, keeping it stretched means:

1. Detangling with creamy products so that my hair doesn't shrink up

2. Shampooing in braids

3. Conditioning in braids

4. Wearing twists for most of the week

5. Wearing "out" styles no more than two days per week

Back