2 quick Henna questions

Diamond75

Do you apply henna to completely dry hair or can it be slightly damp?

How do you test the henna? Apply it to hair left over on a brush or comb?

Thanks in advance for your help :grin:

I apply mine on Freshly Co-Washed Hair. I want my Hair totally Moisturized before applying because I use ACV to release the dye and it can be drying, so I up my Moisture during the process.

I co-wash, apply, then rinse it out with VO5, Suave or White Rain and then I DC afterwards usually with steam.

I've never 'tested' the brand I use (Body Art Quality For African American & Chemically Treated Hair), but yes, you can use it on hair in your comb and/or brush.

I apply to dry, unwashed hair. It's usually my first step. I henna and pre-poo at the same time. I combine with my oils and moisturizing shampoo. I save time and kill two birds...I wash and deep condtion after that.

I never did a strand test, but you can test it on shed hair before you apply to your whole head.

I apply mine to freshly clarified, washed and oiled (coconut) hair. Sometimes I will flat-twist my hair and run errands, then come back do the henna. So, wet or dry makes no difference to my hair.

Do you apply henna to completely dry hair or can it be slightly damp?

How do you test the henna? Apply it to hair left over on a brush or comb?

Thanks in advance for your help :grin:

I henna on dry hair unless I have a lot of product,in that case I co wash.

I never tested henna. Since it's natural the only thing I would worry about is the red. I did the redish for quite some time. When I got tired of red I just started adding indigo to make brown.

Thanks ladies. I washed my hair last night and applied coconut oil last night, but I may do another co-wash before I apply henna.

I apply mine to dry hair and then I sit under my steamer for 30 mins. I then cowash it out and DC under steamer for another 20-30 mins. I don't shampoo wash my henna out.

Thanks ladies. I washed my hair last night and applied coconut oil last night, but I may do another co-wash before I apply henna.

If it were me and I only had coconut oil in my hair, i would henna with it.
When I said to much product i was talking about cones and conditioner. As a matter of fact I added some coconut oil to my henna this time right before I applied it.

I've never done a strand test. I've applied to both freshly washed and dry hair. I prefer the freshly washed hair. I am better able to control the moisture content and it is a bit easier to manipulate the hair.

I apply it to dry hair. I try to make sure I do not have a lot of product on my hair before starting. In fact, I like to wash and air-dry my hair before coloring my hair. I don't really like to co-wash before adding henna... I need my color to sticks. But everyone's hair is different.

I test the henna color of a new brand by getting some shed hair and throwing it in the mix.

I guess I will eventually have to try it both ways to see how my hair adapts. I guess right now my hair needs the conditioning benefits more than the color.

Thank you all for your best practices!

Back