What is your hair care regimen?
My staple products
- Organic Root Stimulator hair mayo
- Queen Helen Hot oil
- Fantasia IC heat protectant serum
- Creme of Nature detangling conditioning shampoo
- Aveda Elixir (now discontinuedL)
- Joico reconstructor
- Via semi-permanent hair color
I usually experiment with my moisturizing conditioners.
Some of my favorites are
- Motions moisture plus conditioner
- Joico moisture recovery conditioner
- Silicon Mix
- Victoria’s Secret So Sexy conditioner.
- Therma Silk volumizing conditioner.
Some of my other products include
- Pantene clarifying shampoo
- Coconut oil (I use this once a month as a hot oil treatment)
- Elasta QP lye relaxer.
- Elasta QP H-two leave-in
- John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Satin shine finishing CrÃ¨me.
For the wash and go
- John Frieda curly shampoo
- Garnier Fructis curl Construct mousse
- John Frieda dream curls spray
What I do
- I wash 2 times a week in the winter and 3 times a week in the summer
- Once a week I condition with Organic root stimulator hair mayo, and one of the moisturizing conditioner I mentioned above.
- Add hot oil to the mix. Leave it on for about an hour.
- I make sure to detangle my hair in the shower using a bit of shampoo and a wide tooth comb.
- My ‘during the week’ washes consist of shampooing in the shower and leaving a moisturizing conditioner on for about 5 minutes.
- After towel drying (letting my hair dry in a towel wrap for about half an hour) I add a dollop of Aveda elixir and a little IC heat protectant shine serum. I have to add that I use Frizz ease serum also. But just a tiny bit as it can be heavy.
- I either roller set with the grey and black rollers. Sit under a hooded dryer for 1.5 hrs and flat-iron my roots.
- Or blow dry and flat iron my hair on the lowest setting. When I flat-iron my hair with a higher setting my hair is too silky to wrap or do anything with.
- I don’t use a daily moisturizer in my hair cause my hair is fine and easily gets weighed down. But when I’m wearing my hair curly I use John Frieda Brilliant Brunette satin shine finishing cream. My hair loves it. I noticed that if I put it in my hair when my hair is straight it doesn’t weight it down but I still prefer not to use a moisturizer when wearing it straight. I have very oily hair so I don’t really need it.
- I Perm every 8 to 10 weeks using Elasta QP lye relaxer in regular.
- I Clarify bi-weekly
- Use Joico reconstructor once a month
- Trim with every perm.
Do you take any supplements? If so, what are they?
I take Centrum multi-vit. I recently started taking Iron and Vit B-12 because I’m anemic.
Currently, how long is your hair and what is your hair type?
My hair is past my waist. Some say its tail bone length but I’m not sure I want to claim that just yet.
My hair type is 3c with some 4a on the right, front side of my head.
What are the things that you feel have helped you the most in achieving and maintaining your hair length?
Weekly deep conditioning is a Prayer for me. I’m sure without them my hair won’t be able to withstand so much heat.
I would say detangling in the shower has helped me a lot. I discovered this technique about 7 years ago and have not looked back since. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened for my hair. Also, getting my hair trimmed every 8 weeks seems to work for me. I never ever see split ends and I attribute that to regular trims and a simplified routine. I’ve stuck with the same routine for years and years and I don’t jump on any bandwagons. I just stick to what works for me.